PDA

View Full Version : A long new .32 joins the family!

revolvergeek
05-30-2013, 07:24 PM
Greetings all,

I just picked my 9.5" Super Single Six .32 magnum up off of layaway. I found it in a Cabela's gun library exactly like this, and although I normally prefer a more traditional setup I couldn't pass it up. The Houges are coming off of it immediately. I am going to leave the red dot on it and give it a try. I haven't shot a pistol with one in better part of 20 years, so it might be fun to experiment with a little. Long term though it is likely going to end up with either a nice 2x scope or back to iron sights. What do you think?? :D

http://www.fototime.com/DDF548F186C406C/medium800.jpg

Regards,
Danny

PS Paul
05-30-2013, 08:06 PM
I think you got a monstrosity of epic proportion there, Mr. revolvergeek!:kidding: Ha ha!!

I'm with you on changing out the grips. Had some Hogues on another Blackhawk I owned in .45 Colt, but the one I have now has the neat faux ivory grips with silver ruger medallion embedded in it. A nice set of wood stocks would be beautiful.

I'd do the same: shoot the red dot a little, then back to iron sights. Maybe a scope if you're grouse shootin', but iron is obviously more traditional.

I'll bet with a red dot, it's a tack-driver. Congrats!

daniel lawecki
05-30-2013, 08:35 PM
Spalted Maple grips would make that one fine looking revolver not that it isn,t congrats.

NoZombies
05-30-2013, 08:48 PM
Looking good! I think that what you have there is a squirrel and rabbit harvesting machine.

The Hogues are great on a .44 where they can really help to control the recoil, but on the .32, they're a bit of overkill methinks.

I was very surprised, but my single six shoots bullets all the way up to 130 grains pretty darn well.

35remington
05-30-2013, 11:43 PM
I'd much prefer a Burris Fastfire to that oversized monstrosity of a red dot. You don't have to put up with something that overlarge and clunky anymore, and a red dot is very handy on a small game shooter and a big improvement over iron sights. Consider a red dot of appropriate size as a reasonable option and a quality red dot is much smaller than a scope.

Trash that cheap one.

richhodg66
05-30-2013, 11:54 PM
Just curious, what is your plan for how to carry that afield? I nabbed one of those with that 9.5 barrel from my dad when he was finished messing with it and it's a good shooter. I need to practice with it more and thought it would be a real cool pistol in the woods for small game, but it will be a PITA to holster and carry.

Dark Helmet
05-31-2013, 02:54 AM
I put Hogues on 6.5 32 mag SS because I hated having to reposition my hand with every shot.

revolvergeek
05-31-2013, 10:36 AM
Thanks for all the comments and kind words. Since I don't have an spare Ruger panels laying around it is getting a set of Pachmyers on it short term. Still rubber, but at least a more traditional profile and fit my hand better than the Hogues (finger grooves on them are too narrow). I have been talking to a fellow here in town that makes grips and he is going to make a slightly oversized, uniform thickness set (i.e. no taper from bottom to top) out of black walnut that I can do the final fit and finish on. A maple set would be interesting though. I have debated ordering some maple S&W grips from Ahrends in the past. Long term I want to come up with a slightly larger grip option to help balance out that long barrel, because I suspect that it might feel a little nose heavy when I take that giant red dot sight off of it.

So far the heaviest boolit that I have loaded in .32 mag is a 115 FN. I plan on trying some heavier ones as soon as time and $$ allow.

No idea on how to carry it in the field. Have to decide about sighting options first before I put any money into a holster. Short term I might try to rig up some sort of short sling / long lanyard arraignment.

Mohillbilly
05-31-2013, 02:38 PM
Did you know that .32 ACP will make a nice plinl'n load in that gun ? I've shot that in my 9 1/2 and it is a quiet and fun load .

John Allen
05-31-2013, 03:44 PM
I always thought a 32 with a long barrel like this would be alot of fun. low recoil and accuracy, how can you go wrong.

revolvergeek
06-28-2013, 11:13 PM
I'll post a pic of it's updated condition tomorrow. I replaced the BSA with a factory rear, and then put the narrow notch sight blade from a 10" MKII in that. Thanks to squawberryman I have a nice set of factory wood grips for it also. I gave it a quick test fire to check the rough adjustment of the new rear sight with a handload of 115 Lyman FP over 3.5 grains Red Dot and it shot a much better group than I had been getting with the BSA. Now I just need to scrounge up a lot more .32 magnum brass (Starline is out at the moment).

leftiye
06-29-2013, 05:47 AM
Ah laks long barreled revolters! Ah laks big ole target grips too. I've got hogue wooden (Pau d'arco) grips on my .30 carbine blackhog.

contender1
06-29-2013, 10:49 AM
I happen to own a few of those sweet 32 cal SA's. I just don't have a long barreled one,,, yet,,,! As for field carry, I'd look into a crossdraw rig as a long barrel can be cumbersome on a strong side draw & carry.

Larry Gibson
06-29-2013, 11:57 AM
I'd much prefer a Burris Fastfire to that oversized monstrosity of a red dot. You don't have to put up with something that overlarge and clunky anymore, and a red dot is very handy on a small game shooter and a big improvement over iron sights. Consider a red dot of appropriate size as a reasonable option and a quality red dot is much smaller than a scope.

Trash that cheap one.

+1.

While I don't have one on my own .32 H&R Ruger I do on my Bisley .41. It is very handy and if removed the iron sights can be still be used over the top of the Weaver base. The .32 will probably be getting a FastFire this fall. The Fastfires have smaller dots than most of the larger pistol dot sights, makes them much better for target/small game accuracy. I carried the Bisley and my BHFT .44 in a vertical shoulder holster and only had to slightly modify it to carry the Bisley with the Fastfire on it.

Larry Gibson

revolvergeek
07-01-2013, 06:58 PM
Here it is. It handles and shoots much better for me in this configuration. I am quite surprised how much I like the balance of it.

http://www.fototime.com/0F96584B72F9A8F/medium800.jpg

Larry,

That Fastfire is tiny compared to the BSA beast. I think a small dot with help a lot with the precision problems that I was having. The BSA seems set up for speed, not shooting tiny groups.

Outpost75
07-01-2013, 07:32 PM
You have a nice revolver which will be a fine meat getter. I would be cautious on the suggestion to try. 32 ACP in the 9-1/2" barrel, as the case doesn't fit the HRM chamber very well, causing a lot of gas leakage, and you might lodge a bullet in the barrel. The LBT. 312-130FN has a long nose and Veral made mine so when crimped in the crimp groove, using. 32 S&W Long brass, cartridge OAL is 1.30", the same as H&R Mag ammo, so that it will feed from my Marlin 1894 Cowboy.

When seated out long to 1.30" for the Ruger revolver or Marlin rifle only, a charge of 3 grains of Bullseye gives 900 fps from my 4-5/8" Ruger and 1095 fps from the 20" Marlin. Do NOT use this load in S&W J-frames chambered for. 32 S&W Long!

A charge of 7 grains of #2400 also works with this bullet at this OAL, but is noisier and less accurate than the subsonic Bullseye load.

revolvergeek
07-01-2013, 09:20 PM
Thanks for the tips. I have loaded .32 S&w long and .32 magnum for several years, so I would not shoot .32 acp except in an emergency situation. The heaviest that I have loaded in .32 mag so far is 115 grains. Most of my .32 long loads lately have been a Ranch Dog 75 grn flat point lately over a warmish charge of Red Dot, but I have loaded various 90- 100 grn boolits in it. Never tried loading heavier ones in it long, but since I have more long than magnum brass I will have to give that a try soon.

revolvergeek
07-03-2013, 12:20 PM
Here it is. It handles and shoots much better for me in this configuration. I am quite surprised how much I like the balance of it.

http://www.fototime.com/0F96584B72F9A8F/medium800.jpg

Larry,

That Fastfire is tiny compared to the BSA beast. I think a small dot with help a lot with the precision problems that I was having. The BSA seems set up for speed, not shooting tiny groups.