PDA

View Full Version : My revolver needs to go back to Ruger

Ben
05-30-2013, 04:33 PM
My base pin wants to move forward during recoil on my new Ruger Black Hawk , New Model, 4 5/8 " Blue, 45 ACP / Long Colt revolver.

I called Ruger about 10 days ago, they sent out new parts.

Instructions were to install them ( New base pin assembly and latch pin, nut , and spring ), then head to the range and see if the new parts resolved the problem.

I went to the range today, and NO....the new parts didn't resolve the problem.

I called Ruger this morning, they are picking up my revolver and it is headed back to Ruger.

Oh well,Ruger makes fine firearms but it looks like even a Ruger needs some repairs sometime. Maybe they won't keep my Blackhawk too long ?

Ben

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/013-25.jpg

Travtastik
05-30-2013, 04:35 PM
Man that stinks. Hope they get it back to you fast. Nothin worse then have a new fun that you can't shoot.

Ben
05-30-2013, 04:43 PM
My latch pin ( that locks and secures the base pin ) only went about 50% of the way across the hole that the base pin goes through. I suspect that the recess hole for the latch pin isn't drilled deep enough.

I've read of that problem occurring before.

Clay M
05-30-2013, 06:33 PM
I just installed a Wolff reduced power spring kit in my Ruger Flat Top .44 Spl.
It comes with an extra power spring for the base latch pin.

PS Paul
05-30-2013, 07:14 PM
I had one in .45 Colt years ago that I REALLY hot loaded. A lot. After a while, the base pin started coming out every other round when loaded hot. I finally considered sending it to one of those 'smiths who install a base pin set screw so this doesn't keep happening, but I ended selling it off to a guy who did just that.

Nevertheless, this should NOT be happening on your new revolver. bummer, but it should be back in no time flat and ready to shoot.

BTW, you posted this photo in another thread and it is now my screen saver at work! thanks for that.

pietro
05-30-2013, 07:15 PM

I never bothered with Ruger, and just bought/installed a locking Belt Mountain base pin, which resolved the issue forever.

missionary5155
05-30-2013, 07:19 PM
Greetings
As many BH's as Ruger have made it is not too surprising every now and then one gets loose with a problem. It is just the pits to be one of the few who got a lemon.
Happily Ruger generally fixes them them right and may check over a few other items while they have it.
Mike in Peru

Ben
05-30-2013, 08:29 PM
It is a " Shooter ", I certainly don't want another revolver , I just want the base pin assembly to stay in place on this one.

The lady who I spoke with in customer service today was very nice , knowledgeable, and professional.

She assured me that Ruger would correct the problem once it was back in their hands.

Hopefully it won't be with Ruger too long ? ?

Ben

BruceB
05-30-2013, 09:04 PM
Pietro has the solution.

A Belt Mountain base pin WITH the Allen screw to lock it in place is the permanent fix. My old-model Super Blackhawk developed the problem after MANY thousands of rounds, and the new pin fixed it nicely, and very easily.

I don't worry about the manufacturer fixing a gun after many years of good shooting; I just fix it and forget it. Also, I really dislike consigning a cherished firearm to the not-very-tender "mercies" of the shipping companies.....who knows if I'll EVER see the gun again?

9.3X62AL
05-30-2013, 09:13 PM
I "rolled the bones" on a Ruger Redhawk a few months back, returning it to the factory for some warrantee work. I shipped it on Ruger's dime on 12/21/12, and got it back in good order on 01-08-13. It doesn't get a lot better than that.

As for the Belt Mountain base pins, I'm sure they operate as indicated by those fortunate enough to actually receive them. I've tried several times over the past couple years to include them in orders to Brownell's for tools and other effluvia, and I have yet to find one in stock.

W.R.Buchanan
05-30-2013, 10:47 PM
I read a really sueful piece of information yesterday. When sending a pistol in the mail or by UPS put it in a bigger box than you would normally use for such a piece. in this case somehtng near 12x18x6 size would do the trick.

Randy

Mk42gunner
05-30-2013, 11:01 PM
The same thing happened with my SSM in .32 H&R. I finally found a Belt Mountain locking base pin for a Single Six in swapping and selling that fixed the problem quite well.

I don't have any problem fixing an older gun or one that I bought used; but a new one like Ben bought should work correctly. If he wants to modify it later, that is for him to decide.

Robert

MtGun44
05-30-2013, 11:25 PM
Make sure the gun is dead stock when you send it back. They will remove any
non-stock parts.

Ruger is fantastic for repairs. I bought a used .22 Target pistol in the mid 80s that
was made about 20 yrs earlier, but like new in box. A few months later it
started misfiring, couldn't find the issue and sent it back. They found a "cracked
frame" (said so on the ticket) and replaced EVERYTHING except the bbl and
extension tube with new. WOW!

I'm sure they will fix it.

Bill

44man
05-31-2013, 08:20 AM
It is an odd thing, one I have never run into with a Ruger but does happen. I shoot 330 gr boolits from my SBH and it has something over 70,000 heavy loads without the pin ever moving.
Ruger will fix it.

contender1
05-31-2013, 09:15 AM
Occasionally, the cylinder base pin will walk forward under recoil. As noted above, it can be fixed by sending it to Ruger, or installing a locking base pin, or adding a stronger latch spring.
Sometimes, the groove in the base pin is shallow, and when added to a slightly off latch assy, one will walk. Some folks have fixed this by using a round file of the proper size to deepen (slightly) the base pin groove.
Also, occasionally, a base pin will get slightly cocked to one side not allowing it to lock in place.

44MAG#1
05-31-2013, 09:46 AM
A buddy of mine years ago said "blessed is he who expectith nothing for he shall not be fooled"
Don't expect a short turn around time and when it doesn't happen you won't be fooled.
I sent one in for a too short front sight and it took two months and two weeks to get it back. This after I told them if they didn't fix it pronto after sending back to me the first time with nothing done to it they had bought them a BH 45 Colt. They sent UPS after it and got it back to me in a week and a half which with that it totaled up being gone two months and two weeks.
Stay after them if it seems like a too long period of time.

jmort
05-31-2013, 10:00 AM
"As for the Belt Mountain base pins, I'm sure they operate as indicated by those fortunate enough to actually receive them."

Order direct - it will come and worth it

http://www.beltmountain.com/ruger.htm

siamese4570
05-31-2013, 10:15 AM
I'd try the wolf latch spring first. Worked on a SBH that I had once.

siamese4570

Potsy
05-31-2013, 12:11 PM
I've had two Ruger .45 Colts and never had that problem, even with some pretty warm loads through a 4-5/8" like yours. I had Hamilton Bowen go ahead and install a Belt Mtn. when he gave my Bisley a going over and it is now a non issue.
Oddly, the one base pin I did have issues with was on a Single Six .22. It fell out somewhere on a trail ride and and out the end of the holster. Replaced it. Never another minutes trouble. Go figure.

pdawg_shooter
05-31-2013, 04:38 PM
I sent a BH back because the bore was .452 (except under the frame and roll markings) and the throats were .449/.450. Talk about a leading problem! Got it back 5 weeks later with a note that all dimensions were within design specs. No repairs, No changes. Ended up honing the throats and lapping the barrel myself to keep a customer happy.

MtGun44
06-01-2013, 01:26 AM
Not surprised. They think in terms of jbullets, not interested in Pb.
I have a convertible that was like that, but no constriction, so I reamed and
polished the throats to .453. Much better.

Bill

cbrick
06-01-2013, 08:11 AM
I had the base pin backing out on an old model BH 44, Belt Mtn pin solved the issue in short order.

Rick

chickenstripe
06-01-2013, 09:12 AM
I had a fantastic experience with Ruger service.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?95334-Ruger-Super-Blackhawk-Hunter-locking-lug-clearance&highlight=Super+Blackhawk+Hunter

I received the revolver with a new cylinder and all new internals.

You should have no problem getting this resolved.

9.3X62AL
06-01-2013, 09:13 AM
"As for the Belt Mountain base pins, I'm sure they operate as indicated by those fortunate enough to actually receive them."

Order direct - it will come and worth it

http://www.beltmountain.com/ruger.htm

Thanks for that info, J.M. These weren't for me, I was trying to get them for other folks and got no love whatsoever. I've not had this anomaly occur with any of my Rugers, Colts, or Colt clones with the SAA-type base pins. Yet, anyway.

jmort
06-01-2013, 09:40 AM
Sorry for misunderstanding. I still like the "upgrade" to Belt Mountain even if everything has been working as intended.

44man
06-01-2013, 10:15 AM
Sorry for misunderstanding. I still like the "upgrade" to Belt Mountain even if everything has been working as intended.
Be aware some need fit to the cylinder hole. You do not want them real tight.

Quigley
06-01-2013, 11:11 AM
I had a Ruger SRH in 454 with a cylinder that would sieze brass whenever I fired 300 gr loads (the only disappointment I've ever had from ruger) I finally sent it back to them and they sent me a new revolver. I have heard about their customer service before, but you can't believe it til it happens to you.

XBT
06-01-2013, 08:11 PM

I never bothered with Ruger, and just bought/installed a locking Belt Mountain base pin, which resolved the issue forever.

I did that as well. No more problems.

Ben
06-02-2013, 10:23 AM
Skipping Ruger with a new revolver that won't function properly out of the box and paying out of your pocket for parts to correct the problem is one way of looking at this.........

Another is, Ruger should have boxed a revolver and shipped it that WORKED PROPERLY. I paid over $500 for a " single shot revolver "......Nope, I'm planning on letting Ruger work with this one until it is RIGHT. In my eye, it is the RIGHT thing for Ruger to do.

In defense of Ruger, the people that I talked with at Ruger were anxious to get the revolver back and determine the exact nature of the problem and correct it.

Ben

jonp
06-02-2013, 05:36 PM
I have had a dozen Blackhawks in everything from stock 357 Mag to Super Blackhawk Hunter to a couple of 41 Mags (boy I wish I had them back) to 44 Mags and have never had a problem with them. The used 45LC I just bought looks like it has had thousands of rounds through it but is still tight and shoots fine. Sometimes things slip through even with the best manu's. It happens, it sucks but it happens. Ruger is famous for it's customer service. I am sure they will treat you right

Ben
06-02-2013, 05:39 PM
jonp

I have zero doubt that I'll get treated right.

If this situation were with another revolver manufacturer that I can think of right now, I wouldn't have too much confidence in a good outcome to all this.

Ruger will fix it, no doubt.