PDA

View Full Version : Set Up On Lee Classic Turret Press

Tamitch
05-29-2013, 07:55 PM
Everyone has convinced me to purchase the Lee Classic Turret Press. Now how easy is it really to set up; especially the powder measure system?

Terry Mitchell
Danville, IL.

fortysomething
05-29-2013, 08:44 PM
I just picked one of these up too. So I will be watching for tips and tricks in this thread.

Sgtonory
05-29-2013, 08:46 PM
The powder measure system is nice. Once you know what size disk you need it really accurate. I have had mine for 6 months and loaded about 4k rounds. No issues with it so far. Make sure you have the pro auto disk powder measure. The cheap one sucks.

dragon813gt
05-29-2013, 09:02 PM
It takes very little time to set it up. The dies won't have to be touched once set, until you change bullet profiles. The powder measure takes no time to set up. Pick a hole based off the chart provided w/ it. Run ten charges through and then weigh. If it's not what you wanted go up or down in size accordingly. I have notes for what charges it throws with each powder. But it's still checked up front and randomly throughout the process.

Now the safety prime. That thing drives me nuts at times. Adjusted every way possible and it still gives me problems every now and then. But when it's working it's great.

dbosman
05-29-2013, 09:05 PM
As to actual first time setup, watch several of the Youtube videos.
They're are some there that are FAR more useful than the instructions included.

BW64
05-29-2013, 09:10 PM
71968Took me about 10 minutes to set mine up & works great for the last 4 years. I made this to hold my extra turrets. If you want one PM me.

BW

dragon813gt
05-29-2013, 09:17 PM
I suggest you you watch videos on YouTube from "sfliberal". Takes you through the entire setup from start to finish.

Mike Kerr
05-29-2013, 09:55 PM
The Lee PRO Auto Disk is a very good system. Easy to set up. One caveat just check the orientation of the disk when you first start using the measure. The disk will slide when you put it in backwards but powder will spill and measurements are incorrect. This is a operator DOH error which ususally only happens only once or twice.

You don't really need to buy 4 of them but it sure looks cool.

Any Cal.
05-30-2013, 12:29 AM
The Safety prime works great, but ignore everything about a funny shaped washer, not using it, or where you put it. Adjust your sizer die up or down until the Safety prime works and you will be set. It saves me about 3 minutes per 50 cartridges using it, so don't go without!

Edit- I only use 3/4 stations on the turret, so add a decapping die to the 4th for rifle cartridges. Pull the action rod so it stays on that station, and you can decap, size and prime another cartridge w/ no set-up time. When loading the primary cartridge, use the time spent rotating past the 4 th station to check for high primers, box, and grab another piece of brass.

Bzcraig
05-30-2013, 01:06 AM
I suggest you you watch videos on YouTube from "sfliberal". Takes you through the entire setup from start to finish.

His videos are good.....his politics? But he s a shooter so can't be all bad.

I had no problems setting mine up and using is a snap once the primer setup is dialed in.

Alley Cat
05-30-2013, 08:04 PM
I use the Lee Classic Turret exclusively and I really like it. If you have specific questions about anything, feel free to PM me!

ColColt
05-31-2013, 11:41 AM
I've only had one problem with mine and it involves the primer arm. I had to jury rig the bottom of the arm to get things to work.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?200684-Lee-Turret-Press-Problem

jethunter
05-31-2013, 12:04 PM
It's easy to set up, not complicated at all.

Last year I got the Pro Auto Disk upgrade kit for my 30 year old Auto Disk and i love the upgrade, it's only $10 and worth it for the adjustable powder measure alone IMO.

fortysomething
05-31-2013, 10:33 PM
Set mine up last night. Works nice. Loaded 100 rounds of 45ACP to try it out. Only trouble is with the Safety Prime, still need to play with the adjustment.

Stonecrusher
05-31-2013, 11:44 PM
71968Took me about 10 minutes to set mine up & works great for the last 4 years. I made this to hold my extra turrets. If you want one PM me.

BW

Redneck Chic, I like it. Great idea for the holders. I too agree that the powder measures are one thing that Lee got right, even the old Auto-Disk. They just keep chunking along accurately.

wallenba
06-01-2013, 12:30 AM
Take them apart, clean any oil residue out left from mold release. I use 91% rubbing alcohol. Season anywhere powder touches with powdered graphite. That will help with any bridging. Rub them down with a dryer sheet before filling to cut down on static electricity. These actually get better with age.
They work real well, don't forget to get a riser to clear any taller dies you might have. Some powders will leak out a bit, and springs can sometimes be noisy if you load late at night, and others are asleep.