PDA

View Full Version : 1909 Argentine Mauser

richhodg66
05-29-2013, 06:22 PM
What is the going rate for one of these?

Ran across a nice one today for $249.99. All the numbers matched, even the one on the stock. I didn't see an importers mark, but I didn't look real hard. Bore looked good.

Looked as though someone may have shortened the stock and it didn't seem to be as long as most infantry rifles, though I'm sure the barrel had not been cut off. Was there a cavalry carbine perhaps?

I've always heard good things about them, but I haven't shot the Milsurps I have much for a while, so not sure I need another one.

pietro
05-29-2013, 09:32 PM

Why aren't you showing us the pics of your new rifle ? :D

richhodg66
05-29-2013, 09:40 PM
Didn't buy it. Am thinking about it. Those things are beautifully made.

By the way, it's an 1891 Argentine, cock on closing.

Fishman
05-29-2013, 10:37 PM
I personally think they are the most attractive military bolt gun out there. I have two unmolested rifles and would love to find a carbine. $250 is a reasonable price for an intact example in my opinion.

Argentino
05-30-2013, 12:02 AM
What is the going rate for one of these?

Ran across a nice one today for $249.99. All the numbers matched, even the one on the stock. I didn't see an importers mark, but I didn't look real hard. Bore looked good.

Looked as though someone may have shortened the stock and it didn't seem to be as long as most infantry rifles, though I'm sure the barrel had not been cut off. Was there a cavalry carbine perhaps?

I've always heard good things about them, but I haven't shot the Milsurps I have much for a while, so not sure I need another one.

There were two different versions of 1909 Argie carbines: the Cavalry Carbine and the Engineerīs carbine; the last one is quite similar in appearance to the rifle, but shorter. No matter which one it is, at that price I would jump on it in a heartbeat-assuming that it is in original condition.

kir_kenix
05-30-2013, 12:42 AM
Argie's are generally good shooters. I've had one with a TERRIBLE bore that would shoot inside of 3" all day with jacketed. Bore stripped way too much lead to be a boolit shooter. Another that is in my dad's safe has a great bore and shoots boolits quite respectably.

Buddy I used to live next to had a bubbafied 1909. Barrel was shortened to 18", it was poorly "bedded" into some American rifle stock, and some unknown front sight (Lyman?) was installed. Despite all this, he took quite a few deer and many pigs with it in Texas. I used to load ammo for him, and he wouldn't have been happier with Holland & Holland deluxe.

For $250, I'd say go for it. I think the 1891 is an excellent rifle, and one of the better looking infantry rifles to boot. They carry and shoulder nicely, and they hit what their aimed at.

RustyReel
05-30-2013, 08:23 AM
I'm with everyone else...if it is an unmodified 1891 I would buy it. If it is a 1909 I would also buy it, even if bubba has been at it, as long as he didn't get carried away drilling holes in it. Both are great rifles, but the 1891's are just sweet!!

richhodg66
05-30-2013, 09:16 PM
I'll have to go back and take a closer look at this one. I even know where a set of used dies are that could be had cheap I think.

How's brass availability? I'm sure it can be formed easily from '06 brass, but I like brass to have the correct headstamp.

RustyReel
05-30-2013, 10:04 PM
My guess is after things settle down brass will not be a problem, but right now you may have trouble finding it. Cases are very easy to make from 06 brass and they are so much shorter than 06 there no chance of mixing up the two. My 7.65x53 rifles won't chamber cases formed from R-P brass for some reason, but other headstamps, including GI work fine for me.

Ed in North Texas
06-05-2013, 08:49 PM
I'll have to go back and take a closer look at this one. I even know where a set of used dies are that could be had cheap I think.

How's brass availability? I'm sure it can be formed easily from '06 brass, but I like brass to have the correct headstamp.

Prvi has been making it. Graf's is currently out (there's a surprise - not). $48.95/100 for new cases was the price.

richhodg66
06-06-2013, 05:35 PM
Well, it's still there at that shop. If it hangs around there another week and a half, I'll most likely buy it.

It isn't pristine, but it's pretty nice and all there, unmolested and numbers match. Did these have crests on the top front of the receiver? This one doesn't and I thought that odd.

richhodg66
06-06-2013, 11:07 PM
This one must have been then. It looked pretty good for having been ground off, they were more careful than the Nazi ones or Arisakas you see with them ground off.

What does that do to collector value?

Scharfschuetze
06-08-2013, 01:06 AM
While stationed in South America, I was told that the Argentinians ground the symbols off of any of their weapons to be exported following an embarrassing situation in the Chaco War between Paraguay and Bolivia. As told, many surplus Argentinian weapons turned up in the combatant's hands and thus precluded a previous claim of neutrality. I can't verify that, but that's what they say down there on the Chaco. It kind of sounds like they had a similar situation as the Iran-Contra shenanigans back in the 80s, but in the 1930s.

Certainly an unground receiver would bring a premium to a collector of Argentinian weaponry, much like an unabused chrysanthemum on an Arisaka, but I wouldn't let that influence a purchase. My 1891 has the crest ground off and my old shooting partner's M1909 is also ground off. They still shoot fine.

Argentino's avitar is a better representation as it would appear on a rifle, but here's the Argentinian Crest in color. The ground off crests would have looked similar to this prior to their defacement. All that I've seen still intact were very well done with nice sharp lines.