PDA

View Full Version : 7.5x55 Swiss, help a brother out

Goody3086
05-29-2013, 04:45 PM
OK, so I'm the new guy around here. I have spent several hours over the last couple of days trying to learn to load lead bullets for my K31. I have been loading for cowboy the last 15 years, recently added 45acp to that, load bp and smokeless shotgun. This resume is just my way of saying that I understand the basics of reloading, loading some 20-25 thousand per year.

I have ordered dies and shell holders for the 7.5x55, along with a 'M' die, but I'll be danged if I can figure out where to get suitable 150-165 grain gas checked bullets. Does anyone know of a commercial caster that can supply these? I noted in my research that the K31 has a very short lead, so spire points or deep seated bullets are the way to go. I have tried to follow several threads on here but I never can seem to find a source to purchase. I have never cast anything myself, and don't really have any inclination to do so. I suppose if I could find some plain base bullets that would be OK as well.

HELP!:lol:

Jeff Michel
05-29-2013, 05:01 PM
Lee 155 grain with 16 Grains of 2400. I don't know any commercial suppliers though............

madsenshooter
05-29-2013, 06:20 PM
Beartooth bullets makes a 135gr spirepoint the K31 might like, but wow, one could buy jacketed bullets for that much moola! Well, almost, guess it's been awhile since I bought any jacketed match bullets! Last buy was 1000 Noslers at 1980's pricing a couple years ago. Still banging away with those.

MtGun44
05-30-2013, 12:11 AM
The only one I have used is 311413 at moderate velocites, just a few groups and good
results.

Understand that the K31 has essentially zero throat, full depth rifling to about 1/8"from
end of chamber. The Swiss use a two diam bullet, about .299 ahead of the cannelure and
about .308 behind it. SIerra 168 or 174 MKs work but are seated pretty deep to
allow chambering.

Bill

swheeler
05-30-2013, 12:18 AM
OK, so I'm the new guy around here. I have spent several hours over the last couple of days trying to learn to load lead bullets for my K31. I have been loading for cowboy the last 15 years, recently added 45acp to that, load bp and smokeless shotgun. This resume is just my way of saying that I understand the basics of reloading, loading some 20-25 thousand per year.

I have ordered dies and shell holders for the 7.5x55, along with a 'M' die, but I'll be danged if I can figure out where to get suitable 150-165 grain gas checked bullets. Does anyone know of a commercial caster that can supply these? I noted in my research that the K31 has a very short lead, so spire points or deep seated bullets are the way to go. I have tried to follow several threads on here but I never can seem to find a source to purchase. I have never cast anything myself, and don't really have any inclination to do so. I suppose if I could find some plain base bullets that would be OK as well.

HELP!:lol:

Send a PM to Bullshop, he's a member here and bet he can help you out.

uscra112
05-30-2013, 02:05 AM
Do a careful throat slug of your K-31. My "beater" has enough throat wear that it will accept a 311299 boolit with the nose diameter right at .300, and it actually shoots it fairly well. Those I know you can buy on Gunbroker.

If yours is not worn, the selection gets rather slim, and I honestly don't know of anyone selling a suitable boolit commercially. The body of the boolit has to be fairly short so that the gas check isn't below the neck, and that neck is rather short.

There is a trick of making a nose-reducing die. I made one so I could try using 311041 in my K-31. Got as far as proving that they'll chamber, but haven't done much more with them, since I've been too enthralled with my latest Krag to pay the old Swiss cannon much attention.

runfiverun
05-30-2013, 03:55 AM
the rcbs 165 silhouette boolit will usualy fit and shoot very well in the k-31's
we done a group buy some time back that is very similar to it but it has a better throat shaped drive band.

Ban at Bullshop [his handle here] probably has one of these molds.
jerry at Carolina cast bullets [his handle here] might have the lee mentioned above.

falmike
05-30-2013, 06:04 AM
Here is some info and users you can contact:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?8698-imr-4198-and-cast-in-the-K-31&highlight=K31

Except Pete, he isn't with us any more :-(

Goody3086
05-30-2013, 07:12 AM
Thanks for all the help and suggestions so far. I sent an email to bullshop, we'll see what he says.

jonk
05-30-2013, 09:32 AM
As an aside, the earlier 1911, 96/11, and 1889 have generous throats and do well with most 200 gr range bullets.

To your question, I've had good results with the Lee molds designed for the 7.62X39; they have a fairly sharp point and tapered profile. Odds are good someone out there has those.

Bullshop
05-30-2013, 10:03 AM
I got excellent results from K-31 Swiss rifles using the RCBS 30/180 fngc sized to .308"
I was loading nearly full power ammo with this boolit and selling to at least one successful moose hunter that I know of. I may still have the load data if anyone is interested.

madsenshooter
05-30-2013, 04:42 PM
The only one I have used is 311413 at moderate velocites, just a few groups and good
results.

Understand that the K31 has essentially zero throat, full depth rifling to about 1/8"from
end of chamber. The Swiss use a two diam bullet, about .299 ahead of the cannelure and
about .308 behind it. SIerra 168 or 174 MKs work but are seated pretty deep to
allow chambering.

Bill

I have some PRVI 168gr hollowpoints that I'm going to try in my K31, they're much more tapered with a longer nose and allow for a longer OAL. Can't find them in stock anywhere now. In fact, they're so tapered one has to be careful not to seat them below the neck/shoulder junction or they'll telescope in. I have trying them on my list of things to do.

05-30-2013, 06:08 PM
I get excellent results with the RCBS 30-180-SP and Ideal's 308291/Lyman's 311291, and Hornady's 168-grain A-Max jacketed.

uscra112
05-30-2013, 06:15 PM
Y'all ain't taking into account that the O.P. is looking for a place to BUY some boolits. . . . . . .

Kraschenbirn
05-30-2013, 07:01 PM
Finding a boolit that will chamber cleanly in a K-31 is pretty much a matter of trial and error. My 1937-vintage (w/original barrel) has been shot enough that it will chamber any .30 cal. bore-rider with a .300-.301 nose but the Lee 312-155-2R (sized .310) is the only mould I've got that drops a boolit useable my buddy's nearly pristine 1952 S-R.

I suggest that you post your needs to the 'Boolit Exchange' on the Swappin' & Sellin' page and, surely, a couple or three of the forum members would be willing to send you sample quantities of whatever they're using to try in your gun. Once you've determined the design (and sized dia.) that you need, you can knowledgeably seek a commercial source.

Bill

Bullshop
05-31-2013, 10:22 AM
Normally I would have a good selection of boolits to try but am now packed up for another move to take place very soon, Lord willing!
We have not packed the lube supply so are still shipping lube but all the casting equipment had to finaly get packed.
We hope to resume all services by July.
One thing we did find that for the several K-31 rifles we had for testing they would not tolerate fat boolits. All boolits for the K-31s were sized at .308" and a nose diameter of not over .300" was helpful for free chambering.

waksupi
06-01-2013, 01:34 AM
Guys, from his post on another section, he seems unwilling to slug his rifle to find what size boolits he actually needs. Knock yourselves out.

Goody3086
06-01-2013, 06:59 AM
Guys, from his post on another section, he seems unwilling to slug his rifle to find what size boolits he actually needs. Knock yourselves out.

Gee, thanks for the help, Mr. Moderator. [smilie=1:

OK, say I slug the barrel. Then come back on here and ask the same question, one that as yet has not been answered. Does anyone know of a source of commercially cast bullets sized at 308, 309, 310, 311, gas checked, in the 150-175gr range, with a tapering nose?

JSH
06-01-2013, 07:41 AM
Sir I will be more than happy to answer your question. No.
As mentioned above Dan is probably your only option. He is busy at the moment with a move at the moment.
A good friend of mine is also a cowboy shooter that loads a size able amount. He has went down the same road you are going. He wanted a K31 and I warned him before he bought it he would be better off with a bolt gun. He claims to be a caster but only cast one bullet for one caliber.
He wanted to buy bulk stuff as you do. I helped him get all the measurements he needed to either get a custom mold or have someone "build" some for him. He opted for the latter. Nothing but grief.
Which is what these folks are trying to keep you from.
The Swiss rifle is a different breed of cat. You can force feed it but your gonna get scratched.
My suggestion is for you to sell the Swiss and chase down an 03 or an 03a3 and load to your hearts content.
I am by no means an expert with the Swiss rifle but when I got started fooling with them I was paying less than $85 each out the door. I still have a few of them. I have shot some gosh awful small groups with cb's out to 450 with them. It is I will have to say the most accurate military rifles I own. It also beats out some fairly expensive other rifles.
With that being said it was one of the toughest rifles to get bullets that fit AND shoot well that I have fooled with to date.
FYI another one I would point you towards is Finnish nagant M39. It has out shot its fair share of 03 and 03a3 rifles with a standard easy to come buy projectile. However they were all cast by me.
This will make some howl. Store bought cb's that are store bought are made to sell. Any results you get with them is just luck of the draw
Jeff

JSH
06-01-2013, 07:52 AM
My bad let me rephrase store bought.
Things sold at the box store or mail order house that come with crayon lube and advertised magical alloy. Usually undersized and to hard. Any issues you have with them is always your fault. One of three things make it four. Your bore is bad. Your loading habits are bad. Your shooting them to fast. Your shooting them to slow.

Sorry to those here and other places that sell a good hand crafted cb that is given the attention the deserve. And are like what I have become, to expect nothing less from them than they would a flgc projectile.
Jeff

Kraschenbirn
06-01-2013, 10:49 AM
To reinforce what Jeff has already said, I know a shooter who's been jackin' around with 'store-bought' CBs for over a year and still hasn't made anything work to his satisfaction...and, according to him, it's all MY FAULT!! Once upon a time, we were just sorta plinkin' one morning and I let him try my .30-30 Savage boltgun. Impressed with the accuracy, he wanted to try some of my loads in his Win. 94 but I said "no" on the principle that I don't shoot anyone else's reloads and I don't 'loan out' mine, either. What I did do, though, was offer to provide some boolits and walk him through reloading them (he'd never previously reloaded anything but JBs). He came by my place a couple days later and we loaded a couple 20-round batches of .30-30s...one with 311041s and one with 311291s...half of each batch using the 3031 he'd brought along and half using AA5744 from my stock.

Next weekend at the range, he was happier'n a pig wallowing in somethin' nasty; those cast handloads matched or bettered the groups he'd been getting with jacketed. 'Okay' I sez and offered to let him use my casting set-up to get himself started. 'Nope' sez he, 'I've been looking online and have found a couple places that sell that same boolit sized to .308, .309, or .310 so I'll just order what I need." That was early last spring and, last time I spoke with him, he was on his third buy (from different sources) of 'store-bought' boolits and still trying to hit that 'right' combination. If you add up what he's spent on commercial CBs and shipping, he could've easily bought a Ranch Dog mould and bucket of wheelweights to use my casting bench and been way ahead on time and effort expended...but, I guess, that might've required more actual 'dirty hands' work than he was willing to put out.

Bill

ukrifleman
06-01-2013, 02:34 PM
Lee 155 grain with 16 Grains of 2400. I don't know any commercial suppliers though............
+1, the 155gn Lee does it for me!
ukrifleman.

Old Caster
06-01-2013, 06:26 PM
Kraschenbirn,
It is all about the three D's Dirty Dangerous and Difficult. It might not seem dirty to those of us who are willing to do the job and don't care but some won't even think of doing it. It is only dangerous to people who don't have sense and won't follow simple instruction or direction so some won't even think of doing it. It isn't difficult if you are the sort of person that can handle simple tools but for some it looks so difficult that they won't even think of doing it. Maybe it is just as well.

Goody3086
06-02-2013, 12:20 AM
I really do appreciate all the help. As for selling the gun, not gonna happen. I bought it on a whim 8 or 9 years ago for $60. Someone had cut the stock down in an effort to make a sporter from it. I bought a brick of surplus ammo, I think it was about 240 rounds for about the same money. Shot 1 box of twenty, called it good, put it in the safe. It has not seen the light of day since.

Then we decide that we will shoot a side match aqt the upcoming Texas State Wild Bunch in September. This will be for any military bolt action, regardless of whether it's been modified or not. In retrospect I probably should have begun shopping for an 03 or Mauser, even thought about a Nagant. Instead I get on the internet, do a little scouting around and end up ordering $125 worth of stuff from Graf's, brass, dies and such. Now I am shopping for bullets.

some dozen years ago I tried my hand at loading some 30-30 with BP. I ordered a couple hundred bullets lubed with SPG and quickly found that that caliber would foul in 6 or 7 shots. So I bought a box of 500 lead sized .311 from Hunter bullets, loaded 100, shot 60 or 70 and put that project aside. I still have some of the SPG luged Mid Kansas, as well as the 400 or so remaining Hunters. I was not going to try these as neither is gas chacked, and I wanted to run fairly fast froim the K31.

What with all the trouble in finding the bullet I am looking for I decided to get down the box of 30-30 stuff to measure the Hunters. Low and behold there is a bag of 250ct GC, 155gr sized .309 made by Bonus Bullets back in 2004. I don't remember buying or trying these, but they look good. They fall to .300 immediately in front of the crimp groove. The nose is about .470 long in front of crimp, tapering to .210 flat point. The total length is .870, leaving .410 behind the crimp groove.

I'll give these a try and let you know how they do. Again thanks to those that tried to help.

Echd
06-02-2013, 03:19 PM
I have a 311413 in the mail and a k31 addicted to heavy SMKs I no longer want to pay for. Anyone else using the 311413 and want to share a favorite recipe? I think a slow 413 will be just the ticket in my k31.

madsenshooter
06-02-2013, 07:41 PM
I really do appreciate all the help. As for selling the gun, not gonna happen. I bought it on a whim 8 or 9 years ago for $60. Someone had cut the stock down in an effort to make a sporter from it. I bought a brick of surplus ammo, I think it was about 240 rounds for about the same money. Shot 1 box of twenty, called it good, put it in the safe. It has not seen the light of day since.

Then we decide that we will shoot a side match aqt the upcoming Texas State Wild Bunch in September. This will be for any military bolt action, regardless of whether it's been modified or not. In retrospect I probably should have begun shopping for an 03 or Mauser, even thought about a Nagant. Instead I get on the internet, do a little scouting around and end up ordering $125 worth of stuff from Graf's, brass, dies and such. Now I am shopping for bullets.

some dozen years ago I tried my hand at loading some 30-30 with BP. I ordered a couple hundred bullets lubed with SPG and quickly found that that caliber would foul in 6 or 7 shots. So I bought a box of 500 lead sized .311 from Hunter bullets, loaded 100, shot 60 or 70 and put that project aside. I still have some of the SPG luged Mid Kansas, as well as the 400 or so remaining Hunters. I was not going to try these as neither is gas chacked, and I wanted to run fairly fast froim the K31.

What with all the trouble in finding the bullet I am looking for I decided to get down the box of 30-30 stuff to measure the Hunters. Low and behold there is a bag of 250ct GC, 155gr sized .309 made by Bonus Bullets back in 2004. I don't remember buying or trying these, but they look good. They fall to .300 immediately in front of the crimp groove. The nose is about .470 long in front of crimp, tapering to .210 flat point. The total length is .870, leaving .410 behind the crimp groove.

I'll give these a try and let you know how they do. Again thanks to those that tried to help.

Sounds like a good bullet to use to get your brass blown out to K31 dimensions. Starting with the recommended 16gr of 2400, or substitute Blue Dot if you have any of that. You didn't mention what brand of sizing dies you have. The K31 chamber is bigger than the chamber of the rest of the Swiss rifles and not every company makes dies specifically for the K31. You don't wish to size it back to near new dimensions after you've blown it out to the K31 chamber. Lee makes a collet neck sizing die so that you don't have to work the brass so much. You might already be aware of these things, I don't know. I see you got an M-die, good idea there, they help get the boolit seated straighter.

Echd, the 311413 is a cantankerous bullet that doesn't like to go much above 1600fps, so try 16gr of 2400 first. Another bullet that throats up good in the K31, and is about full magazine length once seated, is the 311329. That's IF you get one of smoke em joe's bump dies and bump the front band down to .306. Might have better luck with it at higher velocities than the 311413 will go.

Goody3086
06-02-2013, 08:43 PM
I bought Lee dies, and ordered the Lee Factory Crimp as well.

madsenshooter
06-03-2013, 12:01 AM
They'll work, but size the brass down more than needed. Get the collet die for neck sizing. Sheesh, just when you thought you've already sprung the budget! It isn't an absolute necessity, as long as you're careful to set the shoulder back a minimum amount.

uscra112
06-03-2013, 03:13 AM
I've got an RCBS die set labeled as a NECK SIZER, (RCBS p/n 33530), that full-length sizes the K-31 brass just right. Reduces the shoulder by only .002" on diameter. Still wondering where I got it, but it's worth looking for one if you're shooting a K-31. I'd like it even better if it didn't size the neck so small, but it's intended for .308 j-warts, not cast boolits.

A .30 caliber M dies does not expand the neck enough for the .312 boolits I'm currently testing. (Mine slugs .3105 groove diameter!) Gave up waiting for Lyman to ship me a .31 caliber M die. Bought a length of 9/16-18 allthread from McMaster Carr and made my own .31 caliber plug. This needs a lathe, of course, but I'm never going to need to buy another M die as long as I live. :D

Goody3086
06-03-2013, 07:10 AM
They'll work, but size the brass down more than needed. Get the collet die for neck sizing. Sheesh, just when you thought you've already sprung the budget! It isn't an absolute necessity, as long as you're careful to set the shoulder back a minimum amount.

I'll have to look into that. From uscra112's post I am now wondering did I buy the wrng M die? What I got was LY7343006 LYMAN 31 SHORT CAL NECK EXPAND (M) DIE , will this be too large?

uscra112
06-03-2013, 11:02 AM
I'll have to look into that. From uscra112's post I am now wondering did I buy the wrong M die? What I got was LY7343006 LYMAN 31 SHORT CAL NECK EXPAND (M) DIE , will this be too large?

Might be too big for a .309" boolit. That boolit may still be too small, so don't fret. Use the .31 expander to expand only the first .150" or so of the neck, to get the boolit started straight, leaving the rest of the neck as sized by the expander ball in your FL die. After seating your boolit, crimp with your factory crimp die.

A very useful tool can be made by drilling through the primer pocket of an empty case and tapping it 1/4-20. Use that for testing seating depths. It becomes very easy to push the boolit up or out with a long 1/4" carriage bolt. You can easily find your optimum seating depth by seating one very deep, then moving it up in small increments until you start to feel resistance on closing the bolt.

Seat one of your 309" boolits as described above, then push it back out and look to see if there's any damage done by squeezing it into what is probably a .306" neck (as sized by the FL die).

madsenshooter
06-03-2013, 03:28 PM
USCRA112 happens to be testing a few of the boolits I'm sending you Goody3086. They're all cast, lets hash out sizing before I make them unusable to you. .309 is out, only .309 sizer I can find right now is a push through, and I'd prefer not to size them a second time after lubing. .312, .311, or .310 are the available options. They're dropping with a .313 band. From what USCRA said above, .312 and perhaps .311 are out. Here's an advantage to the Lee collet die, you can decide the ID of the neck, you don't have to squeeze it all the way down onto the mandrel of the die. Then, considering the hardness of the bullets in question, you won't need an M die at all, just size the ID of the neck a couple thousandths smaller than boolit diameter. USCRA, feel free to report the results of your testing with 3031 and the boolit here, so Goody will know how it works.

Goody3086
06-03-2013, 06:55 PM
Ya'll are gonna learn me this stuff yet, ain't you. My vote is for .310.

uscra112
06-03-2013, 07:13 PM
@Madsenshooter - I sized/lubed the ones you sent me in a .312 die. He's got a .31 caliber M die to open the necks, same as I used. My understanding of these K31s is that while the bore is small, the grooves tend to run larger than American .30 calibers. Mine is .3105 groove, breech to muzzle. Mine liked the boolit seated to OAL of 2.885" If Goody's throat is less worn than mine, he may have to seat deeper. I did not crimp these. There is no crimp groove, and the seating depth puts the lube groove just below the case neck anyway. The combination of .312 boolit and the .31 M die gives adequate neck tension, IMHO. We shall see - range day on Tuesday, if the weather don't turn dirty.

Phil

Goody3086
06-03-2013, 10:40 PM
OK, 312. I'm easy.

mtgrs737
06-03-2013, 11:09 PM
I believe that NOE made a custom mould just for the 7.5 swiss. It was designed to work in that super short throat. You might google 7.5 swiss and see if you can locate the Group buy on that one, I think I have one of those moulds but I am not sure. I am sure someone here would be happy to cast you some to try in your Swiss if you asked them too.

madsenshooter
06-04-2013, 12:03 AM
I have the NOE mold too. My rifle had too tight a throat for it, had to seat it deep, others didn't have that problem, and the OP probably wouldn't either. After I bought my rifle I noticed another importer had some K31s tagged as having a 7.47mm (.294") bore. Even in the throat where this bullet seats (OAL of 2.873") it is .2975", and has a .306 groove diameter throughout. Some of the tight barrels got into the system without being tagged by the importer or exporter, whoever thought it was worth doing. Mine wasn't tagged, but it is what it is. With that small bore I have some problems even with the tapered bullet I am sending the OP, I seat it out into the rifling where it takes a pretty good whack on the bolt handle with the heal of my hand to close the bolt. It then deboolits the round if I have to take a loaded round out for some reason. If I seat it .020" deeper, the boolit telescopes back into the case when I close the bolt. Since I only use it for target shooting, I go with the long seating and no telescoping. Been lucky so far at the range and bullet removal is done by pulling the trigger. I wasn't aware Lee made a factory crimp die for the 7.5x55, that might get enough bite for me to solve the bullet pulling and telescoping problem. It'd be mighty close to the big single lube groove the boolit has though. Good to know the OP has one of the dies. Range day for USCRA, later today, as it will be after midnight by the time I get this posted. Will be hoping the bullet works even better at 2000fps for him than it did for me. Bullet is the Eagan MX3-30-AR, from the last mold made with the cherry before it gave out.

mustanggt
06-04-2013, 12:07 AM
Go to http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.php?cPath=30&sort=2a&page=2 I just bought one of the four cavity for my K31. Never a doubt of the quality of Swede's moulds.

tomme boy
06-04-2013, 01:13 AM
Did you also buy the right full length dies? 7.5x55 dies are different than 7.5x55 K31 dies.

madsenshooter
06-04-2013, 04:25 AM
Here's a good discussion with a well illustrated parashooter explanation: http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?317457-7-5-Swiss-Brass-shrinking-! The really important thing is the datum line on the shoulder. All dies will put that in the right place. Oh, a wee bit of a load's energy might be used to expand that brass back out to K31 dimensions rather than pushing on the bullet, but not a lot. The sizing back down probably takes more energy out of the loader's arm. Lets not turn the thread into the debate over dies again, we've hashed that over several times in the past.

Jeff Michel
06-04-2013, 07:40 AM
NOE just made a run of the K31 bullet moulds. Currently he has 2, 4, and 5 cavity available. All gas check.
I believe that NOE made a custom mould just for the 7.5 swiss. It was designed to work in that super short throat. You might google 7.5 swiss and see if you can locate the Group buy on that one, I think I have one of those moulds but I am not sure. I am sure someone here would be happy to cast you some to try in your Swiss if you asked them too.

JSH
06-04-2013, 08:04 AM
As to dies. I tried everything I was told would work for the k31. I spent more in dies in 18 months than I did on two of these 89.95 rifles.
I finally gave up and tried what I was told would not work. 30-284 wildcat dies from lee. It solved all of the problems I was having. It does not size but very little of the case body. Makes for perfect feeding and bolt lock up. Try shooting a 40 round match and having to smack the bolt on everyone to get it to lock up in order to fire. Stone bruise on the heel of the hand for a week.
Jeff

madsenshooter
06-04-2013, 03:50 PM
The collet neck sizing dies I got from Lee were marked 30-284. Can't remember if I got them direct from Lee or from Grafs.

madsenshooter
06-04-2013, 08:31 PM
Now I remember, I ordered the die parts off the Lee site, already had the correct length die body. I ordered 7.5x55 but received parts marked 30-284, same-o, I know. Goody, 164.2gr checked and lubed, and you're getting them sized .311. .312 won't start into the neck of a fired case. My chamber might be a tad tighter to go along with the extra tight barrel. But if the neck on yours would happen to be the same as mine, .312 would cause chambering problems. I'd rather not be the source of a problem. .311 goes in with my fingers and creates a partial vacuum in the case when it's quickly pulled out. Pop! Hope you find some time to play with the other bullets you found while waiting for these.

Took my rifle apart, the tight barrel was made by SIG. Most K31 barrels were made by Hammerli.

Rich/WIS
06-06-2013, 06:33 PM
The CMP Forum has a thread going on reloading for the K31, Redding Dies are specifically made for the larger K31 chamber and do not oversize the brass

madsenshooter
06-07-2013, 08:04 PM
Got some boolits done for the OP, all packed and ready to ship Monday. Had a little time on my hands today and decided I'd shoot a couple 100yd groups so he could see how they perform in my K31. Load was 25.7gr SPP210, which burns around 4198 speed. Previously clocked at 2000fps. First group was the 5 shot group, I'd had the rifle out of the stock and expected a little unpredictability, by the second group it was settling in again, and I was having fun!

Kraschenbirn
06-07-2013, 10:48 PM
Took my K-31 to the range last Sunday and fired fifty rounds off the bench (no sandbags) just to keep my hand in. Had a pretty good day and managed to keep everything under 3" @ 100M and 6" @ 200M. These were my best of the day. (btw...white squares are 2 1/2"x2 1/2")

Bill

HollowPoint
06-08-2013, 12:11 PM
Kraschenbirn:

Do you have any idea what kind of velocity you're getting with that charge weight?

HollowPoint

Kraschenbirn
06-08-2013, 05:47 PM
Kraschenbirn:

Do you have any idea what kind of velocity you're getting with that charge weight?

HollowPoint

I've never chrono'd that load in the K-31 but 29.5 gr H4894 with the same boolit runs around 1950 fps in my .308s so I imagine the 7.5x55 is the same ballpark.

Bill

mace2364
06-18-2013, 04:37 PM
OK, so I know you were asking about commercial lead bullets, which I haven't messed with in my K31. I did load some winchester 147gr jacketed in mine, using the lee dies. I put them over 42 grs of varget. If you don't end up with what you want for lead, you might try something like that.

Smokepole50
06-19-2013, 12:05 AM
Has anyone ever considered sending a GP-11 bullet to NOE to have a custom K-31 VLD mold made for a GB?

Another thought, has anyone ever considered making a chamber cast and having a custom reamer made to give the K-31 a proper throat and lead for cast boolits? GP-11 won't be around forever. It could even be a group buy that could be passed around to all who pitched in for the custom reamer.

uscra112
06-19-2013, 10:23 AM
Another thought, has anyone ever considered making a chamber cast and having a custom reamer made to give the K-31 a proper throat and lead for cast boolits? GP-11 won't be around forever. It could even be a group buy that could be passed around to all who pitched in for the custom reamer.

Ive thought about reaming mine, but in the end I have found a boolit that fits it. The downside is that it's an obsolete Eagan mould, no longer obtainable. Fortunately for me the owner of said mould has been more than willing to provide me with its' output, cast in Linotype.

And there's an NOE mould 311-180-K31 that is supposed to be specific to K-31s. I have one, but due to the above-mentioned kindness (and my current circumstances) I have not cast anything in it yet.

Any such reamer would have to have a live pilot, and be supplied with a range of bushings, since recent survey by madsenshooter has demonstrated that K-31s range from .298 to .301 bore diameter at the throat. (Mine is the one that's .301, BTW.)

burt
06-27-2013, 12:53 PM
any one of many '30 cal' cast bullets should be fine....there's a bunch of 150/165 plain or bevel base that are sold by the internet vendors or by the manufacturer.
What 'length' .... remove the striker assy from the k-31... prepare a 'dummy' cartridge using the M die...just bell the case mouth enough to push the bullet into the case just enough to make sure you don't shave lead.
The cases must all be the same length!
Seat the bullet so it is way too long but try to close the bolt....no go? seat it a little deeper.
Turn the seated bullet against some fine steel wool so it is polished and try to seat it.... maybe a little deeper? You will finally get the bolt to lock up..... remove the dummy and inspect the bullet under low magnification...you will see the contact points 'engraved' in the bullet...polish them off and seat several thousandths deeper...repeat all this till the marks are very small.....
you might want to do this with several bullets....they may be different. When you are satisfied that you have found 'Zero', measure the o/a length of the seating die.... or... better yet, use a 'Redding Micrometer' seater... just read the settings. Final seating depth varies with each bullet profile and best accuracy could be with the bullet seated at/into the lands by a bit...it is a 'discovery problem' !
Don't go anywhere near any max loads! No purpose.....

Done.... while you are working this out...take a look at the way the K-31 bolt is put together!!!!!!!!

When all is done exactly right, you can expect 10 shots into an inch at 100 yds over bags. Enjoy....

uscra112
06-27-2013, 01:24 PM
Sorry to have to disagree so quickly, but I've observed that "commercial" boolits in that weight range are virtually all possessed of a fairly fat forepart, designed for the giraffe-necked .30-30. They also fit the .30-06, which also has a neck long enough to handle this. Not surprising, since most .30 cal boolit buyers are shooting one or the other, or maybe a Krag, which will swallow almost anything. They are not so fine in the K-31, which has that short throat and only .300 of neck to work with. By the time you get them seated so you can close the bolt, they're so deep in the case that the gas check is dangling .100" or more below the neck.

burt
06-27-2013, 02:05 PM
thought I indicated plain or bevel base????? Used these in several K31s and a Hammerli-K31 300 m.
Never tried to push it to the point of a gas check .... maybe prepare several loads???
The 'slow' load w/o gas check is fun to shoot offhand because of the long barrel time. Make them as slow as possible.... you will become an expert offhand...or you will give it up!!!!

uscra112
06-27-2013, 06:15 PM
thought I indicated plain or bevel base????? Used these in several K31s and a Hammerli-K31 300 m.

Ah, so you did. My bad. My bias for 2K+ loads in the thing was showing.

madsenshooter
06-27-2013, 10:32 PM
I haven't shot enough of the bullet to say how it will shoot, and it requires modification. But Lyman's 308329 with the front band bumped down to whatever your particular rifle needs, would be a candidate for the VLD mold smokepole50 mentioned above. Smoke em Joe makes a bump die to use in your Lyman sizer. After the bullet is checked and lubed you run the bullet nose first into Joe's die to bump the front band down. In my tight bore rifle it has to go down to .3055. Once that's done the ogive of the 308329 can be seated out into the rifling, and the bullet is below max magazine length in my rifle. I have some cast, but I have other projects going on right now, the biggest of which is getting loads for my Krag developed for the Vintage Match at Camp Perry.