PDA

View Full Version : Pressure test report: .45-70/ Lyman 462560/ IMR 7383

Jim
05-29-2013, 04:13 PM
A while back, a friend gave me a Lyman 462560 single cavity mold to play with. After running off several dozen boolits, I discovered it was dropping at .453! I got the mold fixed and it's now dropping at .460 to .461.

I ran off a bunch yesterday, sized and checked 'em and gave 'em a good coating of my Graphlox lube. They were completely dry this morning, so I decided to run a pressure test using IMR 7383.

After determining that 100% case capacity is 42 grains, I started at 43 grains and worked up 1 grain at a time. I was really surprised to find that I was able to go to 50 grains without any pressure signs.

I've done a lot of research and testing with 7383, so I'm very familiar with this powder. I've used it at 100+% case capacity charges in my .45-70 before, but the heaviest boolit I used to date is a plain based 500 gr. round nose bore rider. I didn't expect to be able to go to a 115% charge with a boolit that is 10% heavier.

If you're not familiar with 7383, DO NOT confuse the ability to run this powder at 100+% charges in tapered cases with the ability to do this in bottlenecks. This is a strange and quirky powder and it can be very spikey in bottleneck calibers.

Nothing about this test was toward accuracy. I was simply looking for the top of the pressure window. Judging by the results, I still don't think I'm there. One of the signs that 7383 exhibits when it reaches peak pressure is that all the powder burns. Prior to peak pressure, you'll see unburnt granules in the barrel. Even at 50 grains, I was still seeing a little unburnt powder. I found no difference in primer prints between 43 grains and 50 grains. I did notice, however, a detectable increase in recoil.

LOADED ROUND & BOOLIT

PRIMERS, 43 grs. & 50 grs.

Jim
05-30-2013, 01:06 AM
In P.S.I. what do you think the pressure is?

The primer on the right looks higher pressure to me.

No clue, Bill. Based on my experience with this powder, I'd say it's still well within SAAMI specs. I put both fired primers under a 25X jeweler's loupe and found very little difference even at that magnification.

A few years back, a friend gave me a box of Corbon stuff. I called Gibbs and asked them if this rifle would handle it. They assured me the action was worthy of Ruger number one levels. I lit off a couple of the Corbon loads and thought I had pulled the lanyard on a 105 Howitzer. The primers were not only flattened, they were slightly riveted.

The primers in the photo are still rounded, both on the shoulder and the strike indentation. 7383 is an unbelieveably slow powder and doesn't spike in tapered cases like it does in bottlenecks. I have riveted primers in .30-06 with this powder.

I don't think the pressure on this load is anywhere near even the 'yellow zone'.

Jim
05-30-2013, 01:36 AM
It's a Gibbs Summit. I have no plans to chrony the load or even shoot for accuracy. I can't handle the abuse of shooting it from a rest with 500 gr. or heavier boolits and it generates too much recoil to trust it in a Lead Sled. I tried that before with a hot load under a 500 grain boolit and it jumped out of the sled.

I bought it on a lark with tax return money 11 years ago because it's a .45-70 bolt. Gibbs doesn't make 'em anymore. Every now and then, I go to Gunbroker or GunsAmerica to see if I can find one. There ain't none out there for sale.

41 mag fan
05-30-2013, 09:28 AM
Interesting read and research here Jim. i'm going to make sure i follow it to see your end results.

Now one thing i gotta ask....this report didn't come from Janet while you were out robbing that mexican restaurant did it?? [smilie=1::kidding:

Jim
05-30-2013, 09:32 AM
Interesting read and research here Jim. i'm going to make sure i follow it to see your end results......

You're lookin' at the end results.

Catshooter
05-31-2013, 09:49 PM
That's interesting Jim.

I have two of those moulds: one untouched and one I milled it down to eliminate the check. Wonderful boolit. I love that huge meplat.

I have only (so far) fired mine over ten to fifteen grains of Universal Clays. About 900 to 1200 feet. I don't think I'll go much higher as I agree with you ideas on recoil.

Is that powder a 50 BMG powder? I've heard of it but never seen any.

Cat

Jim
06-03-2013, 08:26 AM
.....Is that powder a 50 BMG powder? I've heard of it but never seen any. Cat

Very close. It's a powder that was developed for the .50 caliber spotter/tracer round (http://cartridgecollectors.org/cmo/cmo08dec.htm).