PDA

View Full Version : Boss system.

starmac
05-29-2013, 01:01 PM
Does anyone have the boss system on their hunting rifle?

I always understood this was on brownings, is it the same thing on a winchester??

Bent Ramrod
05-29-2013, 01:46 PM
I had a new Model 70 on the pre-64 pattern in .270 with the BOSS system. Kind of pointless for me, since I reload the ammunition to suit the rifle and the BOSS was a device to tune the rifle for best results with factory ammunition. I played around with the settings on it for a while but eventually left it at the recommended setting, which did fine. The rifle shot very well with my reloads.

The Browning rifles fitted with the BOSS had a sleeve to cover the holes in the sides at the owner's option. These holes gave the BOSS a dual function as a compensator or muzzle brake. The Winchester had no sleeve or provision for one, to cover the holes. Consequently, it was excruciatingly loud, especially for people on either side of me on a firing line, and there was no recoil to compensate for in a .270 anyway. After a few years, I sold it.

Hardcast416taylor
05-29-2013, 04:38 PM
I bought a new/old model controlled feed Model 70 in .300 Win. Mag. that had the Boss system on the end of the barrel. I never fired a shot thru it as I yanked that barrel off and sold it, the barrel I put back on was for the .416 Taylor.Robert

ebner glocken
05-30-2013, 05:24 PM
I ordered one in 94 when the came out with it in ss in 300 win mag. Yes, it is LOUD. Yes, you can adjust it for factory ammo. Yes, you can also adjust it for reloads. I haven't put any ammo through it that didn't shoot well when tuned in. With 75.5 grains of RL22 and a 180 nosler partition it recoils like a similar weight 30/06 with 150 standard loads. At the range I wear hearing protection, the animals I have put down with it I can't recall it making much noise. The neat thing about them is if you don't like them all you have to do is take it off and screw a nut on it to protect the threads. All in all it's nothing that I couldn't live without but I wouldn't trade off a rifle if it already had one on it.

Ebner

starmac
05-30-2013, 07:23 PM
Looking at trading for a model 70 that has one, a 338 win mag. Actually past the looking stage, sooo I hope I like it, or rather hope my son likes it. lol

ebner glocken
05-30-2013, 10:00 PM
If your son is shooting it he'll love it. If you're not.....I advise you to stand directly behind him, not to the side.

Ebner

Doc Highwall
05-30-2013, 10:07 PM
A friend of mine that owns a machine shop use to make them for Winchester.

gmsharps
05-31-2013, 12:20 AM
I've shot a lot of the BOSS guns and IMHO they have a purpose. The later guns were shipped with both a BOSS with the holes and one that was solid. When at the range and shooting a lot the one with the holes really cut the recoil and a person could tune the ammo to the rifle whether handloads or factory in short order. The recoil reduction was nice if a lot of shooting was to take place. I on some days would shoot maybe 4 or 5 rifles in calibers 7mm mag to 300 win mag and even after 100rds or more did not get a shoulder bruise and did not start the flinching associated with recoil. When in the field replace the one with the holes for the solid and it gave you back your felt recoil but the noise would be reduced dramatically. I know a lot of people did not like the system but it does work. When at the range definitely have anyone spotting for you to stand behind the shooter not beside them.

gmsharps

Sweetpea
05-31-2013, 12:28 AM
I had one on an A-Bolt in 300 Win Mag, I worked the loading up to Max, and then tuned the BOSS for the best group.

It would cloverleaf @ 100 yards.

I absolutely loved how it shot, but I traded it off... Got tired of it gutting the deer for me!

Sweetpea
05-31-2013, 12:29 AM
Oh, and yes, THEY ARE LOUD AS HE11!

nicholst55
05-31-2013, 12:39 AM
Brownells sells a licensed copy of the Browning BOSS system, and you can hang it on nearly any rifle you choose to. No barrel threading required.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/barrel-parts/muzzle-brakes/adjustable-muzzle-brake-prod1540.aspx

Harry O
05-31-2013, 10:42 AM
I have a Browning BAR in 30-06 with the BOSS. Yes, it is loud, even with earmuffs. But, I think it is worth it. The recoil is mild. More importantly, it can be adjusted for increased accuracy, just like Browning says.

I did a lot of tests on mine when I first got it. From worst to best adjustments, it made a 2 or 3 to one difference in group size. I shoot an average of 3/4-MOA with it adjusted and have shot an occasional 1/2-MOA group with it. I have seen their A-bolt do better.

From memory, the bullet weight makes the biggest difference on where you set the BOSS. With heavier bullets, the BOSS goes forward; lighter bullets, it goes backward. The difference is a lot, so start with the suggestion on the Browning website and test it backwards and forwards from there like they suggest.

The shape of the bullet makes a small but real difference in the BOSS setting, meaning the BOSS is set different for a 180gr spitzer vs a 180gr RN. Velocity increases (200 to 300fps) with the same bullet make a very small difference. It is not really worth adjusting for that. The difference between 20 degrees and 100 degrees doesn't make a difference as far as I could see.

The BOSS works for both factory loads and handloads. Just don't change cartridges (particularly bullet weight) without changing the BOSS. It does seem to be repeatable so you can change in the field if you have the correct number for the cartridge with you, then change it back when you use something else.

Doc Highwall
05-31-2013, 01:55 PM
The boss is about barrel time for bullet exit from the muzzle.

Hardcast416taylor
05-31-2013, 02:06 PM
I`ve heard about guides in S. Africa actually telling customers not to bring a rifle that has a BOSS on it due to the NOISE.Robert

Potsy
05-31-2013, 05:40 PM
I've needed to get a non-ported sleeve for my A-Bolt .25-06 for years. I've had it since '96, and I'll never trade it, but I'm convinced it has cost me some hearing. It has nearly no recoil, and on a coyote that's a little ways out, you can see the fur fly, that's cool, but the muzzle blast is nothing short of vicious. If I fire it at all with no hearing protection (which is usual when I hunt), my ears ring for days.
With plugs and muffs, you can shoot it all day. A buddy had a BAR .300 Winnie with a BOSS and it was mild to shoot. Of course it had a little weight to it. And the muzzle blast on it was more like the crack of doom vs. the high pitched scream of my .25-06.
It is a VERY accurate rifle and I set the BOSS to whatever the instructions recommend per bullet weight. I do think they did exactly as advertised.
That said, Dad's A-Bolt 270WSM is kinda spooky accurate, and it has no BOSS.
I've never seen a A-Bolt that wasn't accurate. Love them or hate them. BOSS or no BOSS.

nicholst55
06-01-2013, 02:43 PM
If I fire it at all with no hearing protection (which is usual when I hunt), my ears ring for days. With plugs and muffs, you can shoot it all day.

They make earplugs designed for situations like this. They allow you to hear normal sounds and shut off within microseconds of a noise loud enough to damage hearing. Soldiers wear the Peltor Combat Arms (https://www.google.com/search?safe=off&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&q=combat+arms+earplugs&btnK=) earplugs in combat; I wear the same ones at work and when shooting. They're not cheap, but they're reusable and with a little care will last for a long time. I believe Surefire makes an electronic style that does the same thing. I only hunt predators any more, but I wear the same earplugs then that I do on the range.

Moonie
06-11-2013, 02:31 PM
Brownells sells a licensed copy of the Browning BOSS system, and you can hang it on nearly any rifle you choose to. No barrel threading required.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/barrel-parts/muzzle-brakes/adjustable-muzzle-brake-prod1540.aspx

I had one of these on an A-Bolt in 7mm Rem Mag that I purchased the year before the BOSS came out. It worked VERY well and that was the most accurate rifle I've ever owned once I got it tuned for my handload.