PDA

View Full Version : Modified my LEE 10Ib pot today

oih
05-29-2013, 04:40 AM
I wanted to cast Lyman Sabots, and it would't fit under the spout:

A friendly neighbour gave me 15cm of50x50mm stainless tubing:

Bottomplate is secured by 4 screws:

The screws aren't all the same, they differ in length and thread, so be sure to put them in the right hole on reassembly, easy to ruin the threads on aluminum. 2 of them have slottet heads:

Used the bottomplate as a template, and marked 4 holes (Actually, I marked 8 holes as I needed to attach the 50x50mm to both the bottomplate and the pot holder column.):

Center punched the holes:

Drilled 4mm holes for the side that I attached to the column, and 6mm holes on the side that I atteched to the bottom plate. The reason for this is that then I was able to stick a small screwdriver through the 6mm hole and tighten the screws that hold the column. How did I do the screws that weren't slotted? I took a socket that fit (5mm/6mm don't really remember), and hammered a lead bullet into the place where the handle usually goes. Then made a deep slot in the lead. I placed the lose socket on the bolthead, and stuck the small screwdriver throunght the 6mm hole and into the lead in the socket. Thus being able to tighten the screws that weren't slottet as well (If I can't punch the lead back out again, I guess i can melt it out without ruining the socket.):

Mockup to see if problem will be solved:

oih
05-29-2013, 04:57 AM
Attached the bottomplate with M4x16mm cross slotted screws, washer, star washer and nut (Didn't want to deal with nylocks as its might get hot.), feels about as rugged as it was:

Materials used:
15cm of 50x50mm stainless square tubing (Stainless is overkill, and aluminum or carbonsteel would have been just fine.).
4 M4 screws with washer, star washer and nut (Found them in a bin at work, we toss a lot of damaged equipment, screws are usually ok though ;-)).

Tools:
- Drillpress (Chinese 50$ unit with the chuck from h...).
- Drillbits (Ruined quiet a few, will address that later.).
- Springloaded center punch.
- Screwdriver.
- Small socket for the LEE screws/bolts.

Anything I would do different?
- Lower the rpm on the drillpress, then my bits might last longer, and the holes might look better.
- Place the holes a bit better; hard to tighten screws that are very close to the inner wall of the 50x50mm, especially those without a slotted head.

Still it works, it looks ok and, cost only time, and as an on and off (More off, really.) caster I have a working pot that suits my needs. I'm pleased with the result.

Řivind, Norway

freebullet
05-29-2013, 05:08 AM
Nice work looks as if you solved one of lees problems. I've been thinking bout adding a mold guide to ours.

oih
05-29-2013, 05:29 AM
Thanks! Such a simple fix. Cheaper than buying a ladle or the 20Ib pot.

oih
06-12-2013, 04:11 AM
Slugs casted after mod:

USMC87
06-12-2013, 05:17 PM
That's a nice job on the modification and good looking slugs.

oih
06-13-2013, 09:32 AM

fredj338
06-13-2013, 03:32 PM
I did a sim thing years ago to get HP molds underneath. I just used a 2x2 block of wood, works fine, the base doesn't get hot.