PDA

View Full Version : .22 ICL Gopher???

mikeym1a
05-29-2013, 02:52 AM
I may have asked this question before, but, late night/early morning, can't remember. Anyway, I bought a 'lot' of barrels from a vendor in Ebay. I was quite please with the purchase. A new .308, a new 8x57, a new 7x57. A badly used 7x57, and another that was a bit odd. The chamber cast and a search through a book on how to make cartridges told me it was a .22 ICL Gopher. According to what I have read, it was a blown out version of the .22 Hornet, similar to the K-Hornet. The load data I've seen for the Hornet is equal to or greater than that I've seen for the Gopher. It this correct? If this is an 'improved' Hornet, shouldn't it be a bit faster than the standard Hornet? Now, If I could just get a receiver for this little beauty..... Money is an object.:)

mikeym1a
05-30-2013, 10:52 PM
HHmmm........... No replies. Surely someone out there knows something about this little cartridge. Someone..........

badbob454
05-30-2013, 11:20 PM
if I knew I would say ...

NoZombies
05-31-2013, 01:01 AM
Was it shortened and blown out, or just blown out?

I've heard of the ICL, but I have no familiarity with it.

mikeym1a
05-31-2013, 01:37 AM
Was it shortened and blown out, or just blown out?

I've heard of the ICL, but I have no familiarity with it.

I did a chamber cast, that's how I determined what it was. It's been a while since I measured it, but, I believe that it has the same OAL as the standard Hornet, but appears blown out.

leadman
05-31-2013, 03:46 AM
According to vol. 1 of Ackleys Handbook for Shooters it was developed by gunsmith Arnold Juenke of Reno, Neb. It has a 45' shoulder unlike the 28' or 40' of the Ackley improved cartidges. Hornet cases can be fireformed by firing in the ICL chamber. The book says the case taper is almost the same as the Ackley cartridges.
Also stated is that K-Hornet data can be used for this cartridge. Load data shown is for a 40gr bullet with 4227 powder, 10grs= 2,515 fps, 11grs= 2,705fps.
Use the above info at you own risk.
I own a K-Hornet and the fps does seem somewhat on the slow side but no in other than 16" twist on the barrel is given. My 21" barrel gives higher speeds with H110 than this and reports on LiL'Gun give even higher velocities but I haven't tried it yet.

mikeym1a
05-31-2013, 11:50 AM
Thanks. My old Speer #8 manual gives some rather energetic loads for the basic hornet, 40 gr J, 12.3gr of 4227 for 2900fps. I looked and they were using a 26" barrel. Mine is only 22". Guess I'll look for loads elsewhere. No rush, though, as right now, it's just a barrel. Must find some sort of receiver for it, or make one. Another project.....