PDA

View Full Version : Older Eyes

Ed in North Texas
05-28-2013, 11:03 PM
Picked up a new to me Marlin 1894 .45 Colt. It has the Williams Fire Sights. I suspect lots of y'all know about these, but just in case. Wow! I can use open sights again without a Merit Disc. I'm a happy man, sight picture is just like night sights on my pistols. Haven't gotten to the range yet (be a while still), but I think I'm going to really like these sights - and the Marlins in .357, .44 Mag and .45-70 will probably get a set. Maybe the .30-30 and .35 Remington too.

starmac
05-29-2013, 01:53 AM
LOL I know exactly what you are talking about. I looked at a new 10/22 at sportsmans that had a set of them. All I could say was WOW.

northmn
05-30-2013, 12:55 PM
I have replaced all my gold bead front sights with fiber optic sights and love them. Also use a peep sight with them. Only problem is in bright sunlight they tend to glow a bit more for bullseye shooting than I like, but for other types of shooting they are great.

DP

Sensai
05-30-2013, 01:23 PM
They're what enables these old eyes to use my lever guns without scopes. I just don't like scopes on lever guns. Personal preference only, no valid technical reason.

rexherring
05-30-2013, 01:30 PM
Yup, real nice sights. I put a set on my .45 ACP and love them. My Ruger pellet rifle has similar ones and they are real easy to see, even with my progressive lens glasses.

wallenba
05-31-2013, 10:08 AM
Yeah, great sights. I put a set on my Searschester 100 a while ago. Big difference!

pietro
05-31-2013, 12:10 PM

FWIW, I've been a fan of FO sights ever since they were first introduced, many years ago.

It's too bad that many folks detract from them, not realizing that they're available from the various makers ( Williams, Tru-Glo, Hi-Viz, T/C, etc) in the same small (1/16") & larger (3/32") bead sizes as Lyman, Williams & Marbles front sight blades, besides in various colors (red, green, yellow, amber, more) for different folks' vision requiremants, and in all different heights and at least two different base sizes ( 3/8" "medium" for ramps or "wide" for barrel dovetails).