PDA

View Full Version : Little Help Please

condorjohn
05-28-2013, 10:31 PM
Howdy, I need a little help with ID or some input on this lock. I only have this pic because the rifle is not in my hands. It's a custom built Plains Rifle that I'm concerding
buying. What gets me is the old look with markings and, what looks like a hand forged hammer. Also the obvisous six pins.

Any help? Thanks, Condor John71872

docone31
05-28-2013, 10:57 PM
Looks like a Dimmick, or AE Henry lock. Hard to tell from that photo.

waksupi
05-29-2013, 12:52 AM
I can't tell you who made the lock, but can tell you those are screws, and they hold all of the goodies inside the lock in place.

fouronesix
05-29-2013, 01:07 AM
For sure hard to tell. Chances are pretty good the hammer is cast as most all were. The markings on the hammer are either cast-it or engraved. Interesting the screw ends are all bright- maybe disassembled or cleaned or rebuilt or replaced screws? There is a name on the plate (just under the nipple). Can't completely read it using the photo but that's likely the maker of the lock. Looks like ( )ERINS or similar.

condorjohn
05-29-2013, 10:49 AM
Thanks fellows! So, it's possible the builder used an original lock and rebuilt it for this rifle?
I don't believe it's more than 30 years old.
Thanks Again, Condorjohn

fouronesix
05-29-2013, 02:34 PM
Yes, very common for builders, no matter the era, to use or re-use locks and other parts. Be interesting to see if the barrel is period or newer and if it has any markings including any underneath near the plug/tang.

DIRT Farmer
05-29-2013, 11:52 PM
That appers to be a lock from a side hammer shotgun with a percussion hammer added. The shotgun locks used to be cheap in parts boxes at Friendship.