PDA

View Full Version : Calling DR A, 45-70 BFR

44man
09-19-2007, 04:24 PM
I tested more heavy boolits today at 50 yd's. I shot Creedmore, not from bags, and these are not sissy loads. I had a thick elbow pad on and my elbow is sore. Yes, 4759 powder! The top targets are with the boolits Dubber sent me, a 448 gr gas check. As I increased the charge they started to open so 26 gr's is best with this boolit with 23/32". The left is 27 gr's and the right is 27.5 gr's. No pressure signs and the cases fell out.
The bottom targets are with my 378 gr PB with 30 gr's of 4759 and I got 9/16". 31 gr's still gave me 7/8".
Now I know what to use for each boolit and just have to sight in the gun. I can't kick about how it shoots at all.
Every single load I have used this week is minute of deer past 200 yd's.
Don't judge a gun by my powder tests!

dubber123
09-19-2007, 06:52 PM
Your 378PB seems to be the accuracy champ, (darn it), and the flat looks as big as the ones I sent you. I doubt you really need the extra weight anyways, plus you don't have to fiddle with gas checks. The 448's shoot unbelievably well in my Pedersoli Sharps rep., but I guess they aren't the perfect slug for yours. Thats why we gotta try them though, you just never know.

44man
09-19-2007, 08:36 PM
Dubber, nothing wrong with them at all. Remember I am shooting Creedmore, not from sandbags. I wiggle more then the group sizes. Your boolits have been super consistant over a range of charges. I really like them. I know I can get tighter groups with them. But for hunting, what more is needed?
The thing I am learning after always shooting around 300 gr boolits with this revolver is that it will shoot about anything I care to feed it. I have not seen any drastic changes as long as I use the right powder.
You have to remember I got less then 3/4" with your boolit and 26 gr's. My boolits are not any better, in fact that 378 gr has been a pain in the butt. Yours have been more consistant and are very well cast. Pat yourself on the back for the fine job you do. :drinks:
I want some more, I want to shoot a deer with them. I need at least enough to sight the gun and one left for a deer.

Dr. A
09-20-2007, 09:31 AM
Looks good. I'm still thinking about getting one. Just have to justify it in my mind...:mrgreen:

44man
09-20-2007, 11:50 AM
I won't try to convince you because I can't put down my .475 either. I have to leave it up to you. All I can say is my .44 doesn't get shot as much anymore. Seems kind of tame even though it is accurate and has never failed to take deer. I like to take a different revolver for each deer if I buy enough tags. Depends on who wants meat after I get some in my freezer.

Dr. A
09-21-2007, 09:02 AM
I get a few deer each year, but most will be taken with a bow. Just something about making no sound... Otherwise, its always been a lever action. This will be the first year for me with a revolver. With this BFR, the range isn't that much different than a lever. Saw a 410 long cylinder yesterday. Thought it would be easy to fall for the 45-70. Almost glad it wasn't. I suppose I'll have the 475 and 45-70 if I live long enough!

44man
09-21-2007, 10:32 AM
I hope you do, they are great fun. I shot a deer last season at 40 yd's with the .475. She was quartered towards me and I only had a tiny hole to shoot through. I hit her in the neck and the boolit came out behind her off shoulder. I barely seen her go down under the gun between my hands, She never wiggled.