PDA

View Full Version : Truing a wet grinding disc???

abunaitoo
05-28-2013, 05:51 PM
I'm sure there are a bunch of knowledgable machinist on this fourm.
Hopefully they can answer my question.

I have a used "Woodcrafter" wet grinding machine.
http://www.kaboodle.com/reviews/woodcraft-horizontal-wet-stone-grinder
It uses the flat side of the grinding disc as a grinding surface.
After time the surface of the disc is not true.
It seems a waste to replace it when it's so thick.
I true my grinder disc with a dressed.
I don't think it would work on this grinder.
Can some tell me how I could do this?????

country gent
05-28-2013, 10:07 PM
Most tool supplies have a 3/4"X3/4" X 6" long dressing stick they sell that will probably true it up. Be carefull when doing this as the face of a wheel is much stronger than the side. We used to side dress surface grinder wheels ocasionally when grinding a square shoulder. we did this with a diamond point mounted in a block of steel set on the magnet. A norbide stick or dressing stick should be able to accomplish this.

country gent
05-28-2013, 10:09 PM
Another thought is to call Woodcrafters ad see what they recommend for their machine

KCSO
05-29-2013, 09:55 AM
I use a diamond point truing fixture from my surface grinder. I got mine from MSC a long time ago so I can't remember what it cost. I have it set on a base that clamps to the table.

abunaitoo
05-29-2013, 11:06 PM
How's this:
I mount the disc on the lathe. Use the diamond point mounted on the cross slide to true the surface.
Only thing I'm worried about, is if the disc is strong enough to hold together from the side load.

Cap'n Morgan
05-30-2013, 12:32 PM
How's this:
I mount the disc on the lathe. Use the diamond point mounted on the cross slide to true the surface.
Only thing I'm worried about, is if the disc is strong enough to hold together from the side load.

No problem! A single point diamond will easily cut, or rather crunch, any ceramic grinding wheels - even quite thin ones. Run the lathe at full speed, and take small cuts - about .002 -.004 at the time. You can keep the coolant running to bind the dust and keep the diamond point cool, but it will probably cause quite a mess...

oldred
05-30-2013, 12:56 PM
How's this:

Ouch!!! I cringe just thinking about doing that to a lathe! Have you thought about where all that abrasive is going to wind up? It will get into everything and can destroy the ways on a good lathe, I won't even use sanding strip on work parts in my lathe! Do you really want to take a chance (more like a probability) on getting grinding grit under the saddle and just about every other bearing surface?

KCSO
05-30-2013, 02:39 PM
Old Red you never used a tool post grinder? You just need to clean it up good. I do cover the ways with a cloth when using a grinder.

oldred
05-30-2013, 05:18 PM
Old Red you never used a tool post grinder? You just need to clean it up good. I do cover the ways with a cloth when using a grinder.

Sure I have used a tool post grinder but ONLY when absolutely necessary and they are well known for causing excessive machine wear. The tool post grinder, at least when used properly, will shed relatively little in the way of abrasive but to dress a grinding wheel would release HUGE amounts of abrasive by comparison! It would involve some massive clean up and/or some rather extensive means of preventing all that grinding grit from getting into places you don't want it, I like my lathe too much to expose it to that kind of grit. All things considered I honestly think there would be much better options for dressing that wheel.

abunaitoo
05-30-2013, 05:44 PM
Good point about the lathe.
I think what I'm going to do is make-up some kind of jig to reface the stone on the machine.
One more project on my never ending list.

KCSO
05-31-2013, 03:04 PM
I dress mine in my surface grinder with a diamond point but even there I cover what I can and clean like heck afterwords. If you had no other way to do it and were willing to clean up afterwords I wouldn't think that doing it on a lathe once a year would run the lathe. But I do remember the time a fellow clamped a knife blade in my portable vise and shot a ton of grinding debris all over the lathe and milling machine before I caught him. Now that was clean up!