PDA

View Full Version : Any Problems With Trimming off the Case Rim & Having Exposed Lead on the Base

Cane_man
05-28-2013, 04:43 PM
Will i have any problems shooting swaged bullets if i trim the case by removing the rim and exposing lead on the base?

Here is a pick with 10mm 200gr bullet, and next to it is the same bullet with the rim trimmed off:

http://i913.photobucket.com/albums/ac331/johnelway/10mm-trimmed_zps4a69a91f.jpg

Now i think i read somewhere in the archives that if there is lead exposed on the base of the bullet then you can have problems with a potential kaboom...

by removing the rim of the swaged bullet i go from a 10mm/200gr with a 0.72 OAL to a 40SW/175gr with a 0.64 OAL in one easy trim step, so i would like to do this if it won't cause any personal hazards... as always thanks for any advice

MIBULLETS
05-28-2013, 06:06 PM
You won't have any problems with those bullets.

R.Ph. 380
05-28-2013, 08:48 PM
Ok, fess up. How'd ya trim the rim? Grind it off or cut? Looks like something I might want to do on my 40 S&W to .45acp from BT's dies.

Bill

Cane_man
05-28-2013, 09:06 PM
uhhhhh.... dremel tool and a cutoff wheel :oops: , chucked the bullet in the lathe turned it and put the cutoff wheel to it

this was a prototype and i just wanted to see if it would work, how long it would be, and what it would weigh if i cut the rim off... no way would i do this for a batch of swaged bullets

looking into using the Harbor Freight mini cutoff saw and make some kind of jig to go with it:

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_17028.jpg

BT Sniper
05-28-2013, 10:18 PM
Should have no problem shooting those bullets. The HF mini chop saw will have difficulty cutting the thick brass bass though.

BT

customcutter
05-29-2013, 01:50 PM
Cane,

If you are chucking them in the lathe, I would go ahead and turn them in the lathe. I know you're not worried about accuracy in pistol bullets. However, the better the cut, the squarer the bullet is when it leaves the bore, the better the accuracy.

CC

alfloyd
05-30-2013, 01:56 PM
Put a stop in the back of your lathe chuck to stop the brass at the same spot each time.
Then turn the rim off with the lathe. It is easier that you might think.
I do it this way.

Lafaun

Cane_man
05-30-2013, 06:27 PM
good idea Lafaun, initially i didn't think i would want to run a 100 bullet batch thru the lathe and trim them, but really it wouldn't be any more time consuming than using the cutoff saw and i get more power with the lathe

dragonrider
05-30-2013, 06:50 PM
A lathe with 5C collets and a stop in the collet makes that job very easy and fast. It does take two operations. one to cut off the rim and the other to trim to length, when I did it I cut off the rim to the bottom of the primer pocket. I did it simply for appearance, don't know if it made any difference.

why.kyle
05-30-2013, 11:14 PM
Anyone got any ideas on how to do this if you dont have a lathe? There is the HF chop saw, but thats a lot of material to cut with it.. any other ideas?

Cane_man
05-31-2013, 10:07 AM
just thinking out loud, how about using a more powerful cutoff saw? here is a HF 6" for $37 and with a fiber type cutoff wheel i am sure you could cut through the case head like butter:

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_22141.jpg

6" might be overkill but the 4" might be just right...

country gent
05-31-2013, 11:26 AM
Something Ive read several times doing research in old magazines ( ive never experienced or seen it) from many years ago ( early 50s to 60s). It used to be a popular modification to Hollow point of flat point military full metal jacket ammo exposing lead to make a expanding bullet. With the open base and "opened" point it was said the risk of leaving a jacket in the bore was viable. With the size of the flash hole Im not sure if this would be a real issue or not. Just something I have read several times in old magazines and manuals.

BwBrown
06-01-2013, 08:43 PM
My thought... if you're going to the trouble of chucking them up one at a time in the lathe... (Which seems, if you're going for speed of production, to be counter-intuitive), But if you're going to the trouble of chucking them up in the lathe, why not turn a nice boat-tail on'em? Plenty of brass to work with, and they would look cool.
I've toyed with that idea, but have not yet found a bunch of time that wasn't already spoken for.
BobB;