PDA

View Full Version : blood on my hands and i didnt even kill anything.

Lloyd Smale
09-19-2007, 11:09 AM
marathon session with the two 4 inch vaquero 500s today. Just in case you dont know it 28 grains of wc820 and a 450 will bit back! Ive got a divit on my forehead and a couple hammer bites on the web of my hand to prove it!!!! Nice thing is that 45 colts with 300s at 1200 are like 44 specials after a couple hundred of those loads!!

44man
09-19-2007, 12:02 PM
I put Pachmeyer grips on mine to prevent the blood. Works like a charm. :mrgreen:

Lloyd Smale
09-19-2007, 12:10 PM
sorry pal but i cant abide condom grips or bullets. Its not the grips that get you its the front sight blade in the forehead. Maybe pachymar will make me a rubber front sight blade and bisley hammer.

9.3X62AL
09-19-2007, 12:23 PM
Neoprene grips are only a short-term fix for recoil impulse. Their better "traction" translates to blisters over time with the kicker loads. I went to PAST shooting gloves for sustained work with the kickers, and they are a real asset.

Lloyd Smale
09-19-2007, 12:29 PM
would you put condoms on these

Old Ironsights
09-19-2007, 12:32 PM
Bisley, Bisley, Bisley.

I had a buddy with a 7" Casull with Pachmeyers and all he succeeded in doing with my loads was stripping all the skin off of his palms, whereas my Rosewood Bisleys pivoted properly in my hand and I could shoot them all day. (350gr/31grH110)

Bisleys were designed for a reason.

Bass Ackward
09-19-2007, 01:21 PM
Golly, don't ya just love pain? Better than a cup of coffee for wakin ya up in the morn! So invigorating it is.

If ya don't like condoms on the gun, weld a band on the underside of the barrel for like a sling and hang a concrete block. Recoil will swing that back and hit you in an area that you will forget all about problems with your head and hands. :grin:

And Lloyd, spent all that money and you didn't even get adjustable sights? :grin:

9.3X62AL
09-19-2007, 02:15 PM
The Ruger Bisley grip DOES work well with recoil, my comments above are more about D/A revos than the S/A variants.

leftiye
09-19-2007, 02:27 PM
When the gun is so violent that it blisters the skin off of yer hands, what does that say about you not having the kidneys to stay away from it? Perhaps it's some kind a mental disease? Thanks fer the laugh!

MT Gianni
09-19-2007, 02:37 PM
Lloyd, ya gotta stand off to one side when you fire it. Gianni

Lloyd Smale
09-19-2007, 03:42 PM
Bass. Is a guy suppose to use sights on them handgun things? Maybe thats why i can never hit anything. I allways took it for granted that if i casted a good enough bullet it would find its target on its own!!
Golly, don't ya just love pain? Better than a cup of coffee for wakin ya up in the morn! So invigorating it is.

If ya don't like condoms on the gun, weld a band on the underside of the barrel for like a sling and hang a concrete block. Recoil will swing that back and hit you in an area that you will forget all about problems with your head and hands. :grin:

And Lloyd, spent all that money and you didn't even get adjustable sights? :grin:

44man
09-19-2007, 04:45 PM
I have never had the rubber grips hurt my hand. It is the back of the trigger guard that gets my large knuckle. The Bisley grip tears me up, my hands are too large.
I don't have an answer to your head except a hard hat. You have to dress like a steel worker! :mrgreen: Why do you punish yourself like that? You would have fun hitting a deer, you would shoot 10 feet over with the barrel rise.
Bass, you are the best, that cracked me up! [smilie=l:

Four Fingers of Death
09-19-2007, 04:52 PM
I can't believe that you guys can shoot those Bisleys with big loads without getting hurt. I had one and it was the most painful gun I ever shot. The hammer drew blood with just about every shot and the wide squared off backstrap used to bruise the underneath part of my thumb.

It was a nice looking gun and I wanted one real bad. After getting it, I wanted to sel it reallllllll bad.

It appears to me if you can shoot those suckers good luck to you, but I'd be de-horning the hammer, especially the underneath part of the rear of the hammer and building up some arm/wrist/grip strength so that I didn't get whacked twixt the eyes. Either that or wear a helmet :D

Bass Ackward
09-19-2007, 05:12 PM
Bass. I allways took it for granted that if i casted a good enough bullet it would find its target on its own!!

Sorta true. Sorta true. Unless you get one of those Australian molds. Rumor has it they come back at ya if you miss. A lead recycling innovation from our brothers down under. Trust me on this. :grin:

I always figered that iffin you can't move the back sight, you got no need for a front blade. This way you don't have to eat it. Now you know the real reason why 44man advocates longer barrels. :grin:

Speak of the devil, 44man hasn't been around for awhile. I heard someone sent him a PM that had a typo about a new gun in 75-70. Poor fella has been standing in line at the gun store for the last two days. :twisted:

Bass Ackward
09-19-2007, 05:40 PM
Bass, you are the best, that cracked me up! [smilie=l:

There you are! :grin:

Jim
09-20-2007, 06:00 AM
I usta shoot .458-350-RNFPs sized down to .452 outa my Vaquero with about a 5 gallon bucket of 2400 behind it. Now I shoot .452-230-2rRNTLs with a touch of 820 and not only can I hit what I'm aiming at, I can still shake hands with the man congratulating me on my shooting. Y'all can have all that hand held Howitzer stuff.

Lloyd Smale
09-20-2007, 06:32 AM
jim the nice thing about the howitzers is they can be loaded down to sane levels and with about the same ammount of recoil as a 44 mag put more power on the target. they dont have to be loaded to painful levels to be effective on game. But when the need arises there up to the task. I do about 90 percent of my shooting with 44s and 45s and know there more then capable in the field but its a ball once in a while to load up a big gun to the hilt and put a couple hundred down range. At least it is for me. There obviously not for everyone but contrary to popular opinion if treated with respect will not hurt you. My girlfriend has shot my 500 with almost max loads and can still sign a check at the shopping mall!!!!

Wildcat
09-20-2007, 11:48 AM
Spent last Sunday with my .475 BFR and a bit over 100 rounds. I'd taken the Micartas off to see if the rubber factory grips were what I remembered as far as pain. My memory was correct. They formed a large blister on the web of my right hand that still hasn't healed. At least it gives me an excuse to hold a cold one!:drinks:

44man
09-20-2007, 11:58 AM
The grip must slide in your hand. I just ran over 100 rounds with my 45-70, heavy loads, heavy boolits and don't have a mark. Maybe it is the size of my hand! I hold the gun just snug too.

Wildcat
09-20-2007, 12:20 PM
That grip is a bit too large for my hand. I prefer the Micarta grips. My brother prefers the rubber. To each his own.:Fire:

frank505
09-20-2007, 12:20 PM
I shoot with those lovely Hogue rubber grips. I like them much better than Pachmayers since the backstrap is open. I do have large hands and cannot stand the bisley grip middle finger knuckle whack. Lloyd has had several operations on his knuckle, I just use Hogues, of course my 500 L load is a 24 grains of 820 and a 450 grain keith for about 1125fps. hThe other factor is Lloyd is a yooper and ya know what that means!!!!!!!!!

Lloyd Smale
09-20-2007, 03:42 PM
frank believe it or not the damage to my nuckle was done before i got into the linebaughs. What did it to me was those dammed super blackhawk dragoon frames. I dont care if i ever shoot another one for the rest of my life!! Frank my normal load in the 4 inch guns is your 450 swc design with 25 grains of 820. The 28 grain load is a different animal altogether!!! and you hit on the main ingrediant in this equation and thats the stupid masocistic yooper thing.

2 dogs
09-20-2007, 09:18 PM
You know Lloyd, you are just gettin wimpy in your old age. Send them pea shooters down here to Texas.....Just kiddin' fella's. I have shot some of those big 500L loads out of our pal Al's 4 inch 500 and while I didnt get hit in the head they sure HURT!!!

Lloyd Smale
09-21-2007, 05:28 AM
Als more masocistic them me. I think he actually gets wood shooting those big loads!!
You know Lloyd, you are just gettin wimpy in your old age. Send them pea shooters down here to Texas.....Just kiddin' fella's. I have shot some of those big 500L loads out of our pal Al's 4 inch 500 and while I didnt get hit in the head they sure HURT!!!

EMC45
09-24-2007, 11:58 AM
Once had a nice SS Blackhawk in 44 Mag. I didn't reload at the time, but a buddy did. I asked if they were hot he said they were still in the book, but on the edge of the page! That gun was brutal!! I dehorned everything on it. Every edge was sharp! The ammo from my buddy was almost flattening the primers completely!:-? And the trigger guard about broke my middle finger! The muzzle pointed skyward with every shot. I used a pair of "sap" gloves to shoot with. They helped a bit, but the grip scraped some of the leather finish off! This hangun was unpleasant. With Specials it was a ***** cat! My buddy refused to "download" any of the load data and made questions about my manhood. I since have sold that pistol. And I'm glad I reload My own now!!

spurrit
09-26-2007, 04:14 AM
I'd seen the BFR revolvers, and I've even personally met someone that has blued the stainless cylinder of his Vaquero from shooting extra hot loads. I just never expected that there was actually more than 3 or 4 of you mental cases that would make a HABIT of shooting those kinda loads! I always figured people bought the BFR's, shot them once, then hung them on the wall and lied about how much they shoot them.

...........just for my eddification, though, how much bullseye or trailboss would ya need under a 250 RNFP to blow up an old model Vaquero? Would you even be able to do it with trailboss?

Mind you, I don't WANT to blow one up, I just want an idea how high you have to go to do it.

dubber123
09-26-2007, 04:50 AM
I'd seen the BFR revolvers, and I've even personally met someone that has blued the stainless cylinder of his Vaquero from shooting extra hot loads. I just never expected that there was actually more than 3 or 4 of you mental cases that would make a HABIT of shooting those kinda loads! I always figured people bought the BFR's, shot them once, then hung them on the wall and lied about how much they shoot them.

...........just for my eddification, though, how much bullseye or trailboss would ya need under a 250 RNFP to blow up an old model Vaquero? Would you even be able to do it with trailboss?

Mind you, I don't WANT to blow one up, I just want an idea how high you have to go to do it.

I doubt it could be done with Trailboss without some serious compression, with Bullseye, theres plenty of room in the case for a double or maybe even a triple charge. About 6 grains of Bullseye with a 250 is normal per my manual. A double charge would be nasty, I don't want to be near a triple charge!

44man
09-26-2007, 10:55 AM
Spurrit, NO, NO, NO, once the BFR's are shot and the accuracy found, they are NEVER put down. My Ruger's sit in the safe now more then ever. I grab my BFR's every time. Some might need a grip change but I have no trouble at all with the grips and would not even think of anything else. It depends on your hand size. The big BFR's need to be held firm and not allowed to free recoil in the hand. If they slip and raise blisters, you are not holding them right and shots will go high from barrel rise. It impresses others to see your barrel go sky high but it does not kill deer. You need to control the gun, not let it control you. A death grip is not needed either, just firm. Let it raise your whole arm, not rotate in your hand. I shot 300 rounds last week and my hand is as smooth as a baby's butt. Anyone that shoots a cannon with a whimp grip is asking for pain! :mrgreen:

Aaron
09-27-2007, 12:32 AM
Lloyd, I almost did a short vaquero like yours, but ended up using a blackhawk instead. They look real nice though. I found the Bisley hammer chews a hole in my glove and my hand, so the two I have coming in a couple weeks will have super blackhawk hammers. One of them is a 500 S&W on a maximum frame. The frame is being case colored like yours, but now that I seen yours, I wonder if I should have the hammer and trigger done as well...

My 500L has a 3 3/4 inch barrel. yours is only a 1/4 inch longer, but I run 32grs of WC 820 behind a 435 WFNGC to break 1200 FPS...empty cases almost fall out. I did shoot some 525s at 1175fps, but they were getting pretty rough.

Aaron

spurrit
09-27-2007, 02:05 AM
Guys,

I got to play with a nice piece of history today. A guy came into the Bullet Stop while I was playing with my sixguns, and I noticed he had a nice lookin' Blackhawk. I asked him what he had, and he says, "Oh, some guns my uncle gave me.". He let me shoot the Blackhawk, which turned out to be a .44. Serial number 1911! I nearly crapped! (Nope, it's not for sale, I asked, and my buddy was jumping up and down, yelling, "DIBS!!!")

Same guy's uncle also left him a matched pair of rifles. A 94 and 94-22. Why do people who could care less about guns inherit the ones I would snorkel in a manure pit for?