PDA

View Full Version : Top Punch for Lee 8MM boolet

eka
09-19-2007, 11:07 AM
Been shooting the Lee 8MM C324-175-1R. I size them through an RCBS Lubimatic. I am looking for a top punch that will fit the nose correctly. So far I have been sizing them with a flat top punch and it flattens the nose some. Anyone have the correct top punch on this one? I was also thinking of making one with the epoxy if I can't get one that will work.

Thanks,

Keith

NVcurmudgeon
09-19-2007, 11:21 AM
I use an NEI #59, which is for the (discontinued) NEI 220358 boolit. 220358 looks a lot like a Lyman 358315.

In the wonderful world of discontinued moulds, roundnose punches are often close enough to fit a variety of boolits. Never, never let a top punch slip through your fingers. If you don't need it now, you will eventually.

MTWeatherman
09-20-2007, 03:59 PM
Since its a Lee, you won't find an exact match for a lubrisizer. However, Lyman Top Punch 470 is likely about as close as you will find. It's actually designed for the Lyman 323470 bullet.

I've got that Lee mould and the 470 punch is the one I use. It works well...bullet is centered well, no need for epoxy, and doesn't leave a mark on the bullet nose. Works just like it was designed for the bullet.

eka
09-21-2007, 08:46 AM
That's what I was looking for. I am getting ready to order a couple of things from Midsouth so I'll throw one of them in.

Keith

jonk
09-21-2007, 09:03 AM
I find that the 467 also works fine. I've used both on this bullet, depending what I had in the press from last time.

John Boy
09-25-2007, 08:34 PM
Eka, one only needs 3 top punches: FP - round ogive and a spitzer.
Pick the one that is the nose shape of the bullet.
Then take a piece of heavy aluminum foil, fold it over several times to form a small square. Put some lube on one side, push it into the top punch, pull the lever of the lube/sizer down on the bullet nose ... Instant Top Punch [smilie=1: to fit your bullet

JB Weld can be used to form a mold but takes too long waiting for it to dry