PDA

View Full Version : 45 Colt 270 SAA and Herco?

Bagdadjoe
05-28-2013, 10:10 AM
I just got a 270 SAA Mihec mould from another member and my 8lb keg of Herco arrived simultaneously. Now, all the load info that came to me without effort before I got 'em......I can't find. Is anyone loading Herco for the Colt in a 260-280 range? I'm loading for a New Vaquero and a EAA Bounty Hunter, which I'm guessing both will take the "tier 2" pressures, 20,000?
I guess I need to bookmark everything I read :)
thanks!

littlejack
05-28-2013, 10:59 PM
Bagdadjoe:
Hey Joe, (there used to be a song with that title) I load my Uberti "Evil Roy" saa with Herco. I settled on it not too long after I bought the revolver, a few years back. I wanted a powder that measured better than Unique, was slower burning than Unique, filled the case volume relatively well, and burned relatively clean. HERCO.
Now, I use it also in my .41 mag, for plinking loads, heavy slugs in my 45 acp, and 12gauge sabot and ball loads.
I use nine (9) grains in my Uberti 45 saa, with the 250 to 260 grain boolits. It does all I want it to do, and in that light sixgun, is plenty of recoil for me.
I suppose I could go to 10 grains, but that would be pushing it. Besides, I don't really want the sting the revolver would produce.
You should invest in one of the reloading manuals. There is also an article in Handloader Magazine (on line) by Brian Pierce. He has information on the 20,000 load, but no Herco.
My Speer #9 Reloading Manual, states a 10.5 grain load of Herco under a 250 grain swc for 1081 fps with a 7.5" barrel. This is in the Ruger/Contender loadings. My newer manuals list a heavier charge, but I don't have them by me at this time.
Regards
Jack

DougGuy
05-28-2013, 11:07 PM
IIRC, Sierra says 9.5gr is max under a 260jhp. I loaded up some with 10.0gr and that's likely a tad over tier 2 pressures. It wasn't severe but it was sharp.

DougGuy
05-28-2013, 11:27 PM
IIRC, Sierra says 9.5gr is max under a 260jhp. I loaded up some with 10.0gr and that's likely a tad over tier 2 pressures. It wasn't severe but it was sharp.

My Speer #9 Reloading Manual, states a 10.5 grain load of Herco under a 250 grain swc for 1081 fps with a 7.5" barrel. This is in the Ruger/Contender loadings.

That would definitely be out of the tier 2 ballpark. The New Vaquero is rated to .45 ACP +P and the cylinder is the same thickness in .45 Colt so taking a .45 Colt to .45 ACP +P pressure would be safe. That is 23,000psi btw.

Only the old original model Vaquero is safe with the Ruger Only/TC loads but the OP is well aware of this already and that is a real good thing.

The difficulty with the tier 2 pressure ceiling, is that your cases won't give up any signs of pressure until they get WELL over what the gun can take. You won't see flattened primers or sticky extraction until you get to beyond .44 magnum pressures of 36,000psi and that would be catastrophic in a New Vaquero.

I have done a lot of digging into this subject, Ruger has given us a dang fine revolver that's capable of hunting big game, but because there was never a SAAMI spec for .45 Colt, load data that will really bring the New Vaquero into it's own will likely not be published because if someone uses it in a Colt or a S&W or Colt clone that can only take 14,000psi and blows themselves up, you can imagine the consequences. So for the New Vaquero, you have to do some digging and find loads that are good to 23,000psi and enjoy it.

Bagdadjoe
05-29-2013, 10:33 AM
I went to the Alliant load data site and they only listed 2 loads with Herco. I guess I need to get a more comprehensive load manual, I have a Winchester, Accurate and a Sierra book. Very limited. I'm only wanting "warm" moderate loads at the most, if that makes sense, but I was finding nothing for the 260-280 range which is what I'll be shooting with and without the hollow point pins. I have a .44 mag Vaquero if I feel the need to go "hot". Meahwhile I have garnered some more comments from the single-actions.com site from Colt shooters and decided on 8-8.5 g of Herco to start and see where to go after that, if anywhere.
thanks everyone for the advice!

DougGuy
05-29-2013, 10:41 AM
I was going to suggest 9.0gr but I think you are good to go with 8 or 8.5.

USSR
05-29-2013, 06:38 PM
I can give you a lot of load data in the 23k pressure range for the Miha 270 SAA bullet since I shoot it, but not with Herco.

Don

RobS
05-29-2013, 06:57 PM
As a staring point use Unique load data as Herco is a touch slower.

http://www.riflemagazine.com/magazine/PDF/HL%20246partial.pdf

My experience is that you need .5 to .8 grains to equal the same velocity/pressures as Unique in 45 Colt.

If you are wanting in the 14-16K range then 8.5-9.0 grains or so of Herco and looking at around 930-950 fps. I actually prefer Herco to Unique especially with heavier boolits in 45 Colt and 45 ACP.

shorty500M
05-29-2013, 07:30 PM
herco is good cleaner alternative to unique. Hodgdons UniverSal clays is an0ther go0d option. AlL three work great in the grand old Colt cartridge