PDA

View Full Version : New Aussie Rimfire to be made by the Lithgow Small Arms Factory.

Four Fingers of Death
05-28-2013, 09:10 AM
This looks a bit odd, but will be a quality rifle by the look of it. First rimfire that I have seen with a three lug bolt for short bolt lift. It will be available in 22LR, 22Mag and 17HMR.

I want a 22Mag!

The odd butt is designed to give a good grip when using a bipod or shooting off the bench. The possibility of exotic finishes is interesting, the factory use CeraKote as on of their standard finishes.

Here is a review;
http://www.sportingshootermag.com.au/news/video-new-lithgow-rifle-in-the-metal

JeffinNZ
05-28-2013, 06:29 PM
I really hope our AU cousins support this. Domestically made is going to be bonus. Easier than importing.

bruce drake
05-28-2013, 09:38 PM
Its still an import from Oz to NZ isn't it?

Bullshop
05-28-2013, 10:26 PM
My 22 Cooper has the same bolt arrangement with three front locking lugs. Sooooooo I wonder if this can be easily converted to center fire if you get my drift. I have a 22 Cooper reamer available if you get to feeling like Dr. Frankenstein.

Hardcast416taylor
05-28-2013, 11:07 PM
If this ever makes it here to the states then I would be interested in getting ahold of a sample. My biggest worry would be what it might cost in U.S. bucks.Robert

JeffinNZ
05-28-2013, 11:47 PM
Yes. I hope the Ozzies support the initiative though.

barrabruce
05-29-2013, 07:55 AM
Yeah..... thanks for the heads up 4 fingers.
Could do with a good 22lr.
See if they go left hand and threaded for muzzle accessories what ever they are.
See how things progress.
Metal mag be better of 5 shot or flush with stock.

dkf
05-29-2013, 12:06 PM
It is a nice looking rifle. Versions in .17 Hornet and .22 Hornet would be good too IMO. The .17 Hornet has peaked my interest lately.

Speedo66
05-29-2013, 06:30 PM
Any idea what they're going to sell for?

The Aussie dollar is priced pretty close to the 'Murican one. (1 Aus.=1.04 US)

Shooternz
05-29-2013, 10:25 PM
Its still an import from Oz to NZ isn't it?
Yes but it's a lot easier to get guns out of Oz than the US

Stephen Cohen
05-30-2013, 01:22 AM
Be great to see Australian made guns again, but that is one ugly stock.

Bzcraig
05-30-2013, 01:29 AM
I think it is an awesome looking rifle....would be interested if offered in the US.

Baron von Trollwhack
05-30-2013, 07:24 PM
If the quality is like my old 310 Winchester single shot, It will be a great rifle. BvT

SpotHound
05-31-2013, 07:28 AM
IT uses CZ magazines

Four Fingers of Death
05-31-2013, 09:27 AM
I haven't heard officially that it actually does use CZ mags (although that would be incredibly sensible), but one of the junior gun scribes here wrote today that 'It looks like it takes CZ Mags.'

Why re-invent the wheel, CZ mags are everywhere in Australia and readily available.

I hope this is correct, as I intend to at least buy a 22Mag version and may even be tempted to buy a 17HMR. Using CZ mags would make life so much easier.

LtFrankDrebbin
05-31-2013, 09:30 AM
That was the best news I've heared for a while. Lithgow is back in the civillian market! Exellent!
My old Slazenger 1B is the Grandaddy of them ones...:lol:

Four Fingers of Death
05-31-2013, 08:32 PM
The stock ain't pretty, but the 'hook' underneath the butt is for holding the rifle when using a bipod or benchrest apparently. The trigger guard is pretty Buck Rogerish, but should be mega strong I suppose.

I hear that they are going to priced between the cheapies and CZs/Anshutz rifles. It will se a solid, hi qual rifle by the look of it, the stock, barrel and action made on the same machinery and using the same materials as the Steyer we make under contract. I would assume that the barrel metal for a rimfore would not be so flash and it doesn't need to be I suppose.

The initial run is 2,500 rifles I hear. It would be worth picking one up, because even if they don't go ahead with further productions the rifle would be a good investment. The only reason I could see for poor market acceptance would be that it will be priced above the Marlin and Savage, etc cheapies and if too close to the CZs, people might prefer to get the CZ. I hope not, as they plan to produce a 223 and a 308 down the track and they will be a tough durable, virtually mil spec rifle which will be very desirable.

canyon-ghost
05-31-2013, 11:13 PM
Nice to see an Australian rifle coming out on the market. I'd like to have a 22lr and then maybe a .308 myself. Looks really nice.