PDA

View Full Version : NRA Cowboy Silhouette PA State Championship

w30wcf
09-18-2007, 10:51 PM
Fellow Levergun Enthusiasts,

For those of you that like to shoot offhand with your leverguns at reactive steel targets, this match would be for you!

The PA State NRA Cowboy Silhouette Championship will be held at the McKean County Rifle Club which is located close to Bradford, PA, on Sept. 29 & 30.

The course of fire is as follows:
.22 Lever action rifles - Saturday 9:00AM
60 shots total ……..15 chickens @ 40 meters / 15 Javelina @ 50 meters / 15 turkeys @ 75 meters / and 15 rams @ 100 meters.

lever action pistol cartridge - Saturday 1:00PM
60 shots total …….15 chickens @ 40 meters / 15 Javelina @ 50 meters / 15 turkeys @ 75 meters / and 15 rams @ 100 meters.

lever action rifle cartridge - Sunday 9:00
60 shots total …….15 chickens @ 50 meters / 15 javelina @ 100 meters / 15 turkeys @ 150 meters / 15 rams @ 200 meters.

The matches are fired in 5 target segments, 1 shot at each target, left to right. Shooters are given a 30 second preparation period to load their rifles with 5 rounds, then 2 minutes to fire at their bank of 5 targets.

If you live within driving distance of Bradford, PA and don't have anything special planned for that weekend, please stop by and bring a lever action rifle or 2 or 3. Or if you want to just see what is going on, please come and observe. It is a lot of fun and it is a joy to behold seeing all those lever action rifles in one place and all those reactive steel targets. :-D :-D Pretty neat!

Competitors for this match must belong to the NRA and can join at the match if need be.

If you would have an interest, please email me at w30wcf@adelphia.net and I can forward the match bulletin to you.

picture of the 150 meter Turkeys and 200 meter rams
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o25/w30wcf/Bradford1.jpg

w30wcf

Denver
09-19-2007, 11:53 AM
Man, that looks like it would be great fun. I'd like to do both the pistol cartridge and the rifle cartridge matches. If you were only a little closer or gas was a little cheaper, I'd be there.

Denver :Fire: :castmine:

Bluehawk
09-21-2007, 09:05 AM
Thsi is two years in a row now that I have a wedding on that date and its family so I can get out of it ONE of these years I will be able to make one of these :-(

w30wcf
09-27-2007, 08:47 AM
Denver,
Perhaps there are some Cowboy Silhouette matches closer to home. It is great fun!

Bluehawk,
We'll look forward to meeting you in 2008! THere are monthly matches being held at Atglen, PA which isn't too far from you (about 55 miles according to MapQuest).
A few of the fellows from there will be at the State shoot. If you would like more info, please let me know and I will send you contact info.

Well, only a few days to go. :-D For the pistol cartridge competition, I've decided to give my '73 .44-40 a rest and try my .357 Marlin Cowboy Ltd. whch also wears a tang sight.

I much prefer to use cast bullets and have been testing for the past couple of weeks to find a good accurate load in the 1,200 - 1,400 f.p.s. range with Lyman's 358665 cowboy bullet. After testing several combinations, I've settled on 11.0 grs. 4759 and a WSPM primer. It is just about a capacity load, meaning that there is no sinsitivity to powder position. Groups run in the 1" range @ 50 yards with velocity around 1,350 f.p.s.

Now if I can just steer my Marlin properly, there should be a number of cast bullet / steel target collissions. :-D:-D

w30wcf

LGS
10-02-2007, 09:33 AM
On Sunday Sept 30 I got to meet and shoot with w30wcf A.K.A. John K. Great guy and a pleasure to meet. Thanks to John I had a better day shooting then I expected. Had a good time and I am hooked on Lever Gun Silhouettes. Although I think I will take w30wcf advise and use a smaller caliber the next time. After 60 rounds of 45-70 hunting loads I think I will change my name to " Sore Shoulder".

rmb721
10-02-2007, 11:25 PM
Bluehawk, and anyone else interested in cowboy silhouette:

There are Cowboy silhouette matches at Tadaghton sportsman's every Thursday evening and one Saturday each month form the beginning of May until the end of August.
Thursday evening matches are rimfire and pistol cartridge. Saturday are rimfire, pistol cartridge, and high power lever action.

The Thursday evening matches are only $5.00 to shoot both guns. (rimfire and pistol cartridge)

Saturday matches are $5.00 each for rimfire and pistol cartridge. The high power match fee is $10.00. $20.00 for all three guns.

Tiadaghton Sportsman's is located in northern Clinton county.

Next year, there will also be cowboy matches a Consolodated Sportsman of Lycoming County on Tuesday evenings. Every other week it will alternate between high power lever action one week and rimfire and pistol cartridge the next.

CSLC is located about seven miles north of Montoursville along route 87.