PDA

View Full Version : What size hole punch for overpowder cards in 45-70?

Dave Bulla
05-27-2013, 10:27 PM
Okay guys,

I bought about a dozen used playing card decks to use for making overpowder cards and to sandwich a lube cookie in 45-70 bp loads but I have no idea what size hole punch I need. My boolits are .460 but what I don't know is if the cards need to be a tad smaller or larger to work properly. Does size vary with different case brands due to brass thickness? Or can I make them just a tad bigger than the boolit and still be okay in pretty much any case?

While I'm at it, how about sizes for .357 and 44 mag?

Thanks

littlejack
05-28-2013, 12:56 AM
Dave, I believe your numbers give you your answer.
Jack

Dave Bulla
05-28-2013, 10:51 AM
Hi Littlejack, that's pretty much what I expected but I wasn't sure if size was critical within a thousandth or so or if it was just a "get it close" option.

I also have not done the math to convert decimal to fractional sizes to see if there is a standard hole punch set that would fit my needs or not. That is, I know hat a 1/2" punch, if it cuts an exact 1/2" plug, would be big by .040 but does a 1/2" punch actually cut a half inch plug, or is it a little smaller or larger? Does it depend on the material being cut? If too big, how close would the 7/16" be etc etc. How much does it matter?

Just looking for a proven setup to avoid an unnecessary purchase.

Thanks.

bruce drake
05-28-2013, 11:55 AM
Neat idea on reusing old playing cards.

john hayslip
05-28-2013, 12:09 PM
Most drills cut a little large hole than the size they say. If you have a drill set select one the size you want or just a little smaller and drill a hole through a steel rod and taper one end down so you have an edge. Harden it by heating it til it goes non magnetic and drop it in water and you have a hole punch.

gandydancer
05-28-2013, 12:24 PM
Okay guys,

I bought about a dozen used playing card decks to use for making overpowder cards and to sandwich a lube cookie in 45-70 bp loads but I have no idea what size hole punch I need. My boolits are .460 but what I don't know is if the cards need to be a tad smaller or larger to work properly. Does size vary with different case brands due to brass thickness? Or can I make them just a tad bigger than the boolit and still be okay in pretty much any case?

While I'm at it, how about sizes for .357 and 44 mag?

Thanks

no more bang & punch for me I now use a Buffalo arms press mounted punch Manufactured by Fred Cornell in 32-- 38--40--45 caliber. soooo much easier.

http://www.buffaloarms.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=157367&TERM=wad%20punchs

http://www.buffaloarms.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=157368&TERM=wad%20punchs :) GD check lowes ect ect.

TedH
05-28-2013, 12:28 PM
I bought a cheapo set of punches from Harbor Frieght. The 7/16" punch cuts a wad that is perfect for the 45-70, just a couple thousandths larger than the bullet. The whole set of punches, 5 or 6 sizes was under $10.

montana_charlie
05-28-2013, 12:34 PM
My boolits are .460 but what I don't know is if the cards need to be a tad smaller or larger to work properly.
The .45 caliber vegetable fiber wads that you buy are .460"+ in diameter. They are the same wads that would be used by a guy whose bore measured .459" or below.
So, you really do want the wad to be a snug fit.

Of the hardware store punches, the 7/16" (.4375") is your only choice, and it would need to be honed out to get the diameter you need.

Buffalo Arms Company (BACO) carries a complete line of 'stuff you can't live without'.
They have a press-mounted .45 caliber punch which is extremely well made. (I have one.)
http://www.buffaloarms.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=157367&TERM=wad punch

They also have a hammer-struck punch in the diameter you need.
http://www.buffaloarms.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=157368&TERM=wad punch

CM

country gent
05-28-2013, 01:01 PM
I made my wad punch for 45 caliber to cut a disk at .475-.480 diameter. I shoot unsized cases and want the wad to seal the case between powder and lube cookie and bullet base. It takes a hand punch to seat them but when seated nothing gets by the seal easily. My punch started out as 7/16 and I slowly worked it out with a mandrell and sandpaper wrapped to fit tight. .475 would be slightly bigger than a 12mm hole punch (.472 diameter) Close enough. I have been using ceral boxes for wads and results are okay but have yet to recover any. I have recovered paper patches though. The cereal boxes are around .015-.020 thick cardboard Ive been using. Most perfer .030 thickness. Not sure on this but others with more experience may know, Im suspecting the tight / thicker patches also act as a scraper to deposit lube evenly and possible remove fouling from previous shot. Just a though I had. A tight coated playing card would seal and protect the powder and bullet base.

bob208
05-28-2013, 01:50 PM
i use 7/16 punch. which is .4375 or a little bigger. the best way is to chuck the punch in a drill press put the cards on a board and cut them rather then punch them.

blackpowder man
05-28-2013, 02:11 PM
I bought my .45 and .40 punches from Track of the Wolf. I use my half and half containers for material. Any tools to make loading black powder cartridges more efficient is nice as it is a big more time consuming and tedious compared to smokeless and jacketed loads. It is still well worth the effort for me.

4060MAY
05-28-2013, 05:06 PM
In the FWIW Dept

When I started to shoot BPCR, I built a 40-60 Maynard on a Rolling Block, using blown out 30-40 Krag Brass
In the Early 90's I had the pleasure of knowing Fred Cornell about the time he started to make press mounted wad punches

My gun used a .410 bullet....at the time there was no ceramic media available..so the cases were not spotless inside

I asked Fred to make me a punch to make wads .423, the Inside Diameter of the case where the bullet set, thinking ahh, a good seal
after losing 200 cases to horizontal splits, right where the wad was positioned..it dawned on me that the wad was too big..

I bought a regular wad punch, .410 and the problem went away...This was with .060 LDPE

I have recently been shooting a 71/84 Mauser. .43 caliber BN, I ordered som wads from Walters made with Veg. Gasket material
they were tight in the neck,at .445 dia, Fireformed unsized brass, after losing two necks (stuck in the chamber) after blowing off the end of the case.....I started using wads for the .43 Spanish. at .439 and the problem seems to have been resolved, PP bullet, 90grs 1F KIK, not compressed, one wad about .250 from the case mouth

Maybe using milk carton wads there will not be a problem, But I am thinking bigger is not necessarily better

Dave Bulla
05-29-2013, 02:48 AM
Thanks guys, now we're getting somewhere.

I really like that drill press mounted cutter from Buffalo Arms. I think I'll probably go that route.

oldred
05-29-2013, 08:56 AM
Harden it by heating it til it goes non magnetic and drop it in water and you have a hole punch.

Depends on the rod material, soft steel or your hardware store variety mild steel rod will not harden unless a carbon pack or other case hardening compound is used. Steel must have a high carbon content for that trick to work, drill rod for example can be hardened by simple heating and quenching but common mild steel rod can not.