PDA

View Full Version : Data for 380 ACP 115 gr LRN?

altitude_19
05-27-2013, 09:10 PM
I finally got some lead to load for the Bodyguard...115 gr LRN is the best I could do. I have Accurate #2 and #5 on hand (and don't plan on being able to find anything different). Anyone have data for this projectile and powder? Thanks in advance!

altitude_19
05-30-2013, 06:39 PM
Bump? Nobody?

rintinglen
06-01-2013, 09:07 AM
One of the reasons I am no fan of Accurate powders is precisely this: the lack of tested Data for currently manufactured Powders. Their data has bounced around as the manufacturer changed, so even if by chance you stumble across data for the boolit style and weight that you are seeking, chances are it will be out of date. However, powder supplies being what they are these days, sometimes you have to go with what you have.

Lyman offers data for their 122 grain RN boolit, but nothing for Accurate Powders. Lee lists a load for a 100 grain Lead Round nose of 4.1 grains No.5 up to 4.5 grains max. That is the closest equivalent I can find, so if you persist do so gingerly and in baby steps. According to burn rate charts, No.5 falls in between PB and Unique, both powders that lyman lists for their 122 grain LRN. they list a Starting load of 1.78 grains of PB and a top load of 2.2. Since PB is faster than No.5, and their boolit is heavier, that data should be safe. I'd start at 1.8 grains with your lead boolit, loaded as long as will function in your gun, and increase the powder a tenth at a time until I get reliable function, and then stop. Unless you've got something akin to an Oehler 43--a very expensive high grade chronograph and pressure testing system than runs a couple of grand, if you can find one--you can't test pressures reliably. And given the lack of similar ballistic information, you can't make a valid comparison between your results and others.

Be aware that your load will not shoot to point of aim. It will likely be OK for practice at short ranges, but you'll likely be off the target at 15 yards. I tried a 92 grain Roundnose 32 boolit in my Beretta Tomcat and was dismayed to see a 4 inch lateral and 9 inch vertical displacement at 7 yards.

TX.shotgun01
06-04-2013, 05:08 PM
I use 700X to load my 102gr LRN for my 380 you may find some info for you 115gr with this powder

sparkz
06-04-2013, 11:48 PM
Lymans 3rd has a x-700 load at 1.9g min & 2.5gn max for a 92gn RN Boolit
also shows a 121gn LRN Boolit loading 1.4gn Min & 1.9gn max of IMR x-700

and "thought" I had read that your powder (Accurate #2) loaded simmuler to IMR x-700
But you should check for your self on that powder thing

Hope this might help

Patrick

PS;
I also have a 380 (Colt Goverment, like a mini 1911 lookin pistol)
and would Like to know how it did as we have yet to get a good mold
so thinkin might be a good idea to see how others might work first
and please if you do work out load and get it set up right please post what you can on your recipe
TIA
Patrick