PDA

View Full Version : Spin Doctor made by Ballistic Products

beagle
05-27-2013, 06:47 PM
Has anyone used BPI's Spin Doctor to recondition shotshell case mouths? If so, how well did it work and are there any problems?/beagle

avogunner
05-27-2013, 07:43 PM
I'd be interested in info on that also........

koehlerrk
05-30-2013, 09:01 PM
Good question... and I have no idea on the answer because by the time my shotgun shells get worn, I toss them instead of trying to get "one more load" from them.

beagle
05-30-2013, 09:23 PM
Well, I have some once fired 28 STS hulls that have uneven crimps and mess up during crimping and 28 hulls are scarcer than hen's teeth here. That's what I was wanting these for. To see if I could even out the crimp. Guess I'll find out as I order a couple today. I'll post my results when I find out./beagle

koehlerrk
05-31-2013, 06:37 AM
Ahhh, that makes more sense, beagle. That would be a legitimate reason to use one... if it works.

Let us know how you make out.

Swamp Man
06-07-2013, 06:01 AM
Well I haven't used one but they should work great for your needs but they are kind of pricey for what they do. You could make one out a tapered metal stud or maybe even a hard wood dial. As long as it fits into the hull on the end and is large enough to flare the hull at top it should work. The drill spinning is what causes the heat in the plastic and allows it to reform.

UNIQUEDOT
06-11-2013, 10:12 AM
I have two tools on my bench that I use for this purpose. One is a 20 mm projectile and the other is a 20mm dummy cartridge. either one works on hulls from .410 bore through ten gauge.

Apocalypse
06-11-2013, 10:24 AM
Uniquedot: You use the 20mm projectile in the same manner as the Spin Doctor is intended (place in drill press, spin inside shotgun shell mouth to heat/uniform)? How do you get such a wide chuck? Or is there an adaptor available?

UNIQUEDOT
06-11-2013, 05:24 PM
I use them by hand like the hull uniformer which is the same thing except it just uses the shape rather than heat to open up the case mouth and reshape it for easy wad insertion and better looking crimps. The only ones I've used that heated the shells were electric models designed for redistributing wax in paper hulls. If using a spinning model in a drill it is about worthless for star crimped hulls as I would imagine it would only offer benefit to hulls that previously had a roll crimp.

Apocalypse
06-12-2013, 10:59 AM
I've got a 20mm shell, so I'll give that a try this weekend. I'm hoping to cut off the chewed/shredded star crimp and turn the shells into rolled crimps.

MT Chambers
06-12-2013, 12:55 PM
I use it succesfully to remove the remains of the 6 or 8 star crimp in order for me to use a ROLL crimp, and you need to spin it(heat it) good, to do the job.