PDA

View Full Version : Do Swage'ed 223 bullets strip the barrel?

Cag40Navy
05-27-2013, 06:45 PM
Howdy! A friend of mine brought up the point that because brass is "harder" than copper that the swage'd 22lr cases will strip his barrel... Is this the case? I am just wondering because he does make a point but im always up for making sure it does/doesn't. So whats the verdict wizards of the craft? Thank you!

Hickory
05-27-2013, 06:57 PM
Well, I've been making and shooting them for over 30 years, I have never found an issue with them "stripping a barrel" what ever that means.

clodhopper
05-27-2013, 07:07 PM
Most of what most people describe as copper jackets are guilding metal jackets. Guilding metal is an alloy of brass and zinc, around 95/5.
Brass is an alloy of copper and zinc, with a higher precentage of zinc.
Brass bullet jackets are much softer than steel barrels.

khmer6
05-27-2013, 07:26 PM
Even if it did "strip the barrel" the savings would easily out do a replacement barrel "eventually"

BT Sniper
05-27-2013, 07:32 PM
False! Shooting bullets made from brass cases affect the barrel no different then commercial guilding metal jackets in my experience.

As stated guilding metal is 95% copper and 5% zink. Brass jackets, to best of my knowledge, is 70% copper and 30% zink plus we anneal the brass jackets to make them soft enough to form into bullets.

I say shoot and swage on with either jacket!

BT

newcastter
05-28-2013, 09:12 AM
Completely false, I love how people with zero experience with something try to discourage others from swaging with total misinformation, Let me guess he started with " I heard" or :I read somewhere".

Utah Shooter
05-28-2013, 07:15 PM
Just stick to this sight for that kind of information.

I am not trying to get up on a high horse here but there is a reason why all of us are making projectiles out of these jackets. Ask yourself, would there be huge forums dedicated to it if it ruins all these barrels?

Just tell your friend he is more than welcome to post on here if he has some knowledge that he thinks is not on the sight. You may get a few smart alecs but for the most part he will get some decent conversation and perhaps be turned to the dark side like the rest of us.

Good luck!

newcastter
05-28-2013, 07:38 PM
Joe, how come the name change? Did the previous put you under suspicion from the gov...
But good point, invite him to come visit us here so he can learn a bit.

Sweetpea
05-28-2013, 08:01 PM
Sounds like somebody's been watching the "experts" on youboob...:popcorn: