PDA

View Full Version : Navy Arms 45Colt Scholfield

Four Fingers of Death
09-18-2007, 08:38 PM
I have seen the above revolver and the shop have put it aside for me until I can get back and negotiate a trade on another pistol.

It is NIB apart from a small rust bloom on the cylinder (no problem for me, I shoot all mine and don't collect) and comes in the original box, etc.

It has the longer barrel about 7-7 1/2" which is a bit longer than I would prefer, but is probably a bit more authentic.

Has anyone had any experience with or used these for cowboy shooting (I'm not a real competitive shooter, just a fun shooter)

Thanks, mick.

twoworms
10-11-2007, 11:35 PM
I just got one with a 5" barrel a few weeks ago. I'm into plinking and shooting for fun. Its a hoot to shoot, and you can burn up the ammo with as reloading is quick. I use a 255gr Lee cast boolit and a light load of Unique. At 10 yards I hit a 5" swinger target 6 out of 6 shots left handed even. I love mine...

Tim

happy7
10-12-2007, 11:21 PM
I have one also, also a 7.5 inch. I don't do any SASS shooting, but this is my favorite gun, but then I just like it. I also use the Lee 255 grain mold. I am not a very experienced caster yet, but I can group under two inches at 25 yards with this boolit and trailboss. It shoots right to point of aim and this is all I am looking for out of this gun. The bullet is an RF profile and looks the part for a cowboy gun. For me this pistol is just a lot of fun to shoot. I initially tried the Lee 230 tumble lube because that was the only mold I had in .452 when I got the gun. However, the cylinder on this gun is pretty close to Max OAL for this cartridge, so I had to seat the bullet deep and crimp over the front band to allow the cylinder to rotate and I guess due to the bullet being lighter, it was a couple inches off on elevation at plinking ranges, which can be annoying. Anyway, I am sure you will enjoy this revolver. Let us know how you like it.

Jon K
10-13-2007, 12:27 AM
mick,

I cast & load for a buddy who has that Schofield. Here's what I found to work good and shoots accurate:

6.5 grains IMR Trailboss/WLP primer/WW brass/firm crimp
or if you wanna make smoke:
30.5 grains Goex Pinnacle/WLP primer/WW brass/firm crimp
size to .454/ lars premium BP lube(works good BP or smokeless) Tried .452, but got some leading.
Lee 6-Cavity Bullet Mold 452-200-RF 452 Diameter 200 Grain Flat Point
http://www.midwayusa.com/mediasvr.dll/image?saleitemid=110378

Have fun Shooting,
Jon