PDA

View Full Version : Educated e-bay buyers??

1bluehorse
05-27-2013, 05:02 PM
Was perusing e-bay today, just presses, to see how things are progressing and noticed something interesting..at least to me...oh there's still vendors offering up for sale Lee Loadmasters for 350-400 bucks and the Pro 1000's for 250, die sets for 100 dollars, and older partially complete progressive presses for high dollars and such...the interesting part is.......nobody's buying that overpriced stuff anymore !!!!!! for the most part at least...mostly the ones I see that are actually selling are more in line with they're actual value...well, much closer anyway...just thought it was kinda interesting..

gunoil
05-27-2013, 09:00 PM
i think your correct, i just bought a lyman mold at regular midway retail and shipping match from ebay.

I know its slowed down here, all the gunshops have gone back to normal slow pace. I had thought alot of small pistols bought over past three years would start to trickle back in to pawn, but no.

Bjornb
05-27-2013, 09:24 PM
LGS gambled and bought 1000 cases of .223 ammo, for sale at $.78 per round, barely trickling out the door. Still hard for him to get 9mm and 40 cal. I'm happy to be a caster and reloader even if primers are high $30's down here.

Travtastik
05-27-2013, 10:16 PM
My LGS still has all the 22 bricks in stock that he had when all this garbage started. They marked them up to $100 each and never sold another one. I have been seeing more ammo come around but 22 is still rare for me. I have a buddy that finds 3 500+ bricks in every Walmart he visits. If not for him I would have been out along time ago. I had plenty of components to load up what I need for the rest of the year.

Love Life
05-27-2013, 11:10 PM
The slow down has begun. It is summer time, and people are spending money elsewhere now that the immediate threat of gun control has 'stopped' for now. Stock up hard and heavy in the fall and winter.

HATCH
05-27-2013, 11:16 PM
I bought a 9mm square deal setup today for about $5 more then I can get it from Dillon. But I will have it in my hand on thursday so I think its worth it to me.

jlucke69
05-28-2013, 08:41 AM
Local store is stocked on guns and most ammo. 22 comes and goes. Prices are still a little higher than before, but at least there is supplies to be found. Gun range is still a ghost town as people are not quite ready to shoot all the ammo they have been hoarding.

Mike Kerr
05-28-2013, 09:32 PM
I noticed the "panic buying" seems to have stopped on most EBay reloading items. Prices are still above the "old" dealer new items but actual sales prices are regressing, in most cases that is.

The idea that some might have to stock up during the summer as if preparing for a second run on ammo and equipment is understandable but I think its one of the main reasons the shortages exist in the first place. Let's allow the market to return to traditional levels of supply and demand.

regards,
:):):)

Benjlan
05-28-2013, 09:39 PM
Found primers at my LGS today first time in a long time. They didn't have sp but they did have lp sr & lr.

Love Life
05-28-2013, 10:38 PM
Shoot, all through this craze if I had the moolah and came across decent priced components I bought as much as was allowed, or that I could afford. I should be good until 2050.

Sho' am good!!!

David2011
05-30-2013, 11:30 AM
One LGS in Lubbock had managed to keep their stock up throughout the shortage- they just priced everything so high that it didn't sell. They still have $800 AR-15s available if you're willing to pay THEIR price for an $800 gun. Yeah, free market works. Both ways.

David

jethunter
05-31-2013, 12:08 PM
I noticed the same thing, lots of over-priced stuff still there but not so much of it is getting sold. I did see a used lyman 450 go for $150 last week though...

The panic buying is over or at least tapering off, maybe. Would be nice if stock levels and availability would come back to normal levels soon, I'm running low on some stuff.

Recluse
05-31-2013, 12:42 PM
One LGS in Lubbock had managed to keep their stock up throughout the shortage- they just priced everything so high that it didn't sell.

David

Would that happen to be Fred's Gun Emporium?

:coffee:

Garyshome
05-31-2013, 01:50 PM
Go to wal mart every morning at about 7 am and you will eventually get what you need AMMOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Garyshome
05-31-2013, 01:51 PM
I can't believe people would spend that kind of money to buy that stuff on E Bay

Love Life
05-31-2013, 02:08 PM
Payday weekend. Looks like things are picking back up on Gunbroker.

flipajig
05-31-2013, 10:43 PM
I was just at a gun store in Twin Falls and they had Primers of all sizes for 50.00 per K several lbs of W231 for 40.00 is what I want to say. Too over priced for me.
Flip

starmac
05-31-2013, 11:34 PM
I bought w231 at the fairbanks sportsmans for 23.99, which was cheaper than it was before all this mess here.

RKJ
06-01-2013, 10:22 AM
Here is an interesting story about ebay that happened to me. It might explain the high prices people are paying for some of this stuff. I'm in the process of getting a Browning Hi Power and was looking at grips for it on ebay. One vendor had a nice set that had a few hours to go and they were sitting at $15.00, I thought ok, I'll throw out a bid and maybe go to $25.00 on them. I bid $15.50 and confirmed, the next bid shot them up to $45.00. They weren't worth that to me so I exit out and forgot about it. My wife and I went to go see my son and when we got back I checked my email (habit) and saw that I had won a set of grips and my winning bid was $71.00. I was livid and started looking into it, it seems that ebay sets a default of $2500.00 max bid if you don't set one yourself. At least that is my assumption as I didn't set a max bid (and sure as the world wouldn't have set it at 2500.00 for anything other than a car) To the Sellers credit he canceled the transaction after I emailed him and told what happened. They were nice grips and I said I would buy them but not at that price. I figured I would get negative feedback, but also figured I would post my side and go from there, but so far all's good. Anyway, this soured me to ebay and made me think that perhaps the folks that are paying these prices are just not ebay savvy, like me.

jcwit
06-01-2013, 01:38 PM
WOW! With all the thousands of bids I've made and hundreds of buys I've made, never had that problem or heard of something like that happening.

PS Paul
06-01-2013, 01:50 PM
Me neither. I bid on a 4-cavity Lyman 358429 the seller listed "buy it now" at $159.99, but opening bid was $75.00 I bid $75.00 then checked back a few days later. I won the auction and was the ONLY bidder? Odd, I thought. Comes with handles too, so I figure I did alright. Have the same mold in an old and very used 2-cavity, so now I have another!

RKJ
06-01-2013, 04:07 PM
I was looking at 2/3 different grips and don't think I put down any max bids or any other bids other than the initial one. But I recall thinking that 25.00 would be great price for one of them I was looking at so maybe I did. That makes more sense and I've learned a valuable lesson.

EDG
06-01-2013, 07:51 PM
I think you did not pay careful attention when you bid and you bid $2500 with no decimal.
I have done the same thing. Ebay will permit you to retract a bid under certain circumstances.
However they do not set an upper limit for anything. I have had to retract a bid twice to to careless typing.
Another time I was inside of the time limit where they prohibit bid retraction so I could not retract that bid.
Fortunately another knuckle head out bid me for the item.

Here is an interesting story about ebay that happened to me. It might explain the high prices people are paying for some of this stuff. I'm in the process of getting a Browning Hi Power and was looking at grips for it on ebay. One vendor had a nice set that had a few hours to go and they were sitting at $15.00, I thought ok, I'll throw out a bid and maybe go to $25.00 on them. I bid $15.50 and confirmed, the next bid shot them up to $45.00. They weren't worth that to me so I exit out and forgot about it. My wife and I went to go see my son and when we got back I checked my email (habit) and saw that I had won a set of grips and my winning bid was $71.00. I was livid and started looking into it, it seems that ebay sets a default of $2500.00 max bid if you don't set one yourself. At least that is my assumption as I didn't set a max bid (and sure as the world wouldn't have set it at 2500.00 for anything other than a car) To the Sellers credit he canceled the transaction after I emailed him and told what happened. They were nice grips and I said I would buy them but not at that price. I figured I would get negative feedback, but also figured I would post my side and go from there, but so far all's good. Anyway, this soured me to ebay and made me think that perhaps the folks that are paying these prices are just not ebay savvy, like me.

pressonregardless
06-01-2013, 08:56 PM
I think you did not pay careful attention when you bid and you bid $2500 with no decimal.

I also think that must be what happened.

MrWolf
06-02-2013, 09:59 PM
Was talking to another member at my range yesterday who was looking to get into reloading. When I told him about the wait times for equipment and supplies, I asked what was his real time frame. Found out it was near the end of the year. Advised him to wait till then as I think a lot of people are going to find out you have to really like reloading, casting, etc. and that a lot of used equipment will be popping up six months from now from those folks that just had to have something right now.

Recluse
06-04-2013, 01:10 AM
Advised him to wait till then as I think a lot of people are going to find out you have to really like reloading, casting, etc. and that a lot of used equipment will be popping up six months from now from those folks that just had to have something right now.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't remember a lot of "great deals" in 2009/2010 after the last round of panic-buying and hastily made decisions to get into reloading and casting. Everything I saw on internet forums/auction sites still went for higher than normal retail.

plinky56
06-04-2013, 09:22 AM
Prices are coming down here in PA. We have a guy who runs a shop out of his garage and internet sales used to be his big sell. He stopped internet sales to avoid the panic and sell to the locals. Only open 2 saturdays a month, and last suturday got a # of unique for < 20.00$, starline 45 colt brass for 35$ and cci lp primers for 32$/1000.

After talking with him, he let me know that his shipments are coming in much more frequently, so he believes that this demand is lessening. FWIW, just thought i'd pass on this tidbit of information.

mikeyjones
06-04-2013, 09:28 AM
Prices are coming down here in PA. We have a guy who runs a shop out of his garage and internet sales used to be his big sell. He stopped internet sales to avoid the panic and sell to the locals. Only open 2 saturdays a month, and last suturday got a # of unique for < 20.00$, starline 45 colt brass for 35$ and cci lp primers for 32$/1000.

After talking with him, he let me know that his shipments are coming in much more frequently, so he believes that this demand is lessening. FWIW, just thought i'd pass on this tidbit of information.

Is this in easton? Across the street from a cemetery?

wv109323
06-04-2013, 01:14 PM
There is no IQ test required to bid on E-bay.

yooper
06-05-2013, 12:49 PM
Quote: "got a # of unique for < 20.00$"

plinky56, would you please send me a picture of that. I haven't seen any Unique in so long I forget what it looks like. ;-) Seriously, went to the area Cabela's last weekend with the wife and commented that I have more powder and primers than they did. But I don't have Unique!
yooper

David2011
06-05-2013, 05:08 PM
Would that happen to be Fred's Gun Emporium?

It's Sharp Shooters but I heard similar about Fred's.

David

RKJ
06-06-2013, 06:51 AM
After thinking about this and then seeing another set of grips that I had been looking at I believe that is what i did. Plus after seeing the way I type, I'd say it's a very good assumption.

Taylor
06-06-2013, 07:30 AM
I too was checking ebay for Lee 8x56r dies and molds.Found some,but double the new price.

Recluse
06-07-2013, 01:56 AM
It's Sharp Shooters but I heard similar about Fred's.

David

I went to college in Lubbock (Texas Tech University) in the mid-80's after I got out of the service and Fred's was kind of "THE" gun store in town. He was always a bit higher than everyone else, but I never had any issues or problems and their customer service was always very good. I still have the Taurus 92 he sold me after taking back two broken Beretta "made in the USA" 92s. I also bought my Lee Pro1000 from Fred's Gun Emporium.

Even though my folks and younger brother still live in Lubbock, I get back there less and less. When I do go, I usually just crank up the Cessna and make a quick overnight out of it just to see my mom and dad and go out to eat with them. I think I'm going to some time off end of September and go out there for several days and catch the South Plains Fair--always one of my favorite fairs to attend since it has so much local flavor and entries in the crafts and art halls.

I just looked up this Sharp Shooters on Google and WOW. . . what a lousy reputation for sky-high prices and basement-dweller customer service and attitude. One more LGS I can cross off my list. . .

I used to shoot at what is now the Patriot indoor range out on the Brownfield Highway. Back then it was known as the Sport Shooter, then became Circle Star Range and is now Patriot. Dunno what his gun prices are like, but whenever I go back to Lubbock and my mom and dad and me go out to shoot, he always has several display counters full of guns--and he also carries (or used to) reloading components.

jeff423
06-07-2013, 01:53 PM
Recently I put a .40 S&W Lee carbide factory crimp die on ebay with a starting price of $1.00. It sold for $40.00 plus shipping. On the other hand my .32 S&W crimp die did not get a bid.

Jeff

skeet028
06-09-2013, 01:33 PM
Been through this shortage /high price stuff a few times. I also go to quite a few gun shows and have "done" 11 this year. I mostly sell reloading items and a few guns. Was at a show yesterday and saw 22 LR at 90 dollars a brick. Nobody buying of course. Primers and powder are coming back in line now but you will see most primers will be in the 32-35 dollar price range after normalizing..prices will be higher.no matter what..they will be higher. ammo will be too. Almost seems like the manufaturers have created the shortage to create panic and price rises(LOL). Not accusing..just observing. But..do not become complacent. I do not trust the current regime in Washington ..or probably any future ones. So get what you might need. But don't pay those ridiculous prices you see. I actually bought 12 lbs of older(but still good) H4895 at a gun show for 110 bucks..sold 10 before I got it all back to my table for 150 and kept 2. A lot of stuff is coming out of the basements and backrooms out there. Got a can of W 760 yesterday for 5 bucks. Shop around..you can find some reasonable prices. My best buy yesterday was a S&W M657(41 mag) with a Leupold pistol scope in a B square mount with the original rear sight included....for a very fair price..

rmark
06-09-2013, 11:17 PM
Higher prices have made it worthwhile for folks to sell components and powder that have been sitting in the back of the cabinet. I've sold almost all my factory ammo to coworkers since I can reload for myself.

Rich/WIS
06-09-2013, 11:52 PM
Some stuff there is crazy, some is not. Won a Lyman 245496 DC today for $36 plus USPS SFRB shipping. Just depends on who is bidding that day and how deep their pockets and desperate they are for a specific item.

David2011
06-10-2013, 12:36 PM
I used to shoot at what is now the Patriot indoor range out on the Brownfield Highway. Back then it was known as the Sport Shooter, then became Circle Star Range and is now Patriot. Dunno what his gun prices are like, but whenever I go back to Lubbock and my mom and dad and me go out to shoot, he always has several display counters full of guns--and he also carries (or used to) reloading components.

Thanks! I'll check out Patriot.

David

Two Rivers
06-10-2013, 01:26 PM
Noticed many of the two cavity lee molds were just about double on eBay lately. I finally found one 45 cal mold at Natchez for $16 and small change.

W.R.Buchanan
06-10-2013, 01:37 PM
OK guys here's a little tidbit. AR 15's are starting to be available at normal prices. And I can tell you that with confidence, hint, hint!

Randy

Dale in Louisiana
06-10-2013, 02:51 PM
Me neither. I bid on a 4-cavity Lyman 358429 the seller listed "buy it now" at $159.99, but opening bid was $75.00 I bid $75.00 then checked back a few days later. I won the auction and was the ONLY bidder? Odd, I thought. Comes with handles too, so I figure I did alright. Have the same mold in an old and very used 2-cavity, so now I have another!

I did that last week with a Belding & Mull powder measure. I didn't NEED another powder measure, but I'd heard a lot about B & M, so I bid $40. And got it. Express shipping added fifteen bucks, but it's still a bargain.

Sometimes even a blind hog finds an acorn.

dale in Louisiana