View Full Version : Receiver Sights for 94

ColColt
05-27-2013, 04:55 PM
Question about receiver sights for the 94 Winchester(non AE). I've noticed the Lyman 66A is about $20-30 more than the Williams...why? Both look about the same and have windage and elevation adjustments. Does the Lyman have a little more steel.

Marvin S
05-27-2013, 05:12 PM
The lyman has fancier elevation adjustments with a little scale on the side. If you dont plan on fooling with it once sighted in the williams is fine and less bulky. They are both aluminim excepth for screws.

Scharfschuetze
05-27-2013, 05:17 PM
The current Lyman 66 has an aluminium base but a steel bar for the elevation and windage screws.

The Lyman will also give you 1/4 MOA adjustments and it also has a quick slide feature for either removing the elevation bar or adjusting the elevation in large amounts, say from 100 to 200 yards or further zeros. I routinely shoot mine "out there" so this is a welcome feature for me. With the scales, you can record your zeros for any given load and range and return to that specific zero easily with the Lyman.

I have both the Lyman (older steel bases and the newer aluminium bases) on several lever guns and I prefer them over the Williams. The Williams that I have on my Marlin 1894 in 25/20 is a usable sight and when zeroed for a given range is as good as any, but it is not as usable for changing zeros, loads or ranges as the Lyman is.

Given the above, and depending on your needs, a Lyman will prove to be more versatile while the Williams is a good work-a-day sight that will also serve you well.

Refield also made a very good aperture sight in the past and these occasionally show up at gun shows. One of them is currently on my Model 94 and it is a stout and well made affair with repeatable adjustments and the afore mentioned quick slide feature.

I recommend a good blade front sight to take advantage of your upgraded rear sight, but that's just the military shooter in me talking.

ColColt
05-27-2013, 05:18 PM
I'm wondering if the Semi Buckhorn sight is going to get in the way of being able to sight it in with the receiver mounted sight. I guess you'd have to drift it out if that's the case. I'd like to have the sight ready once the rifle gets here and bore sight it before taking it out to the range.

We had a blade front sight on the m14's given in basic training with a peep sight and it was deadly. I can still remember hitting silhouette targets at 300 meters with that rifle...younger eyes back then.

Scharfschuetze
05-27-2013, 05:24 PM
That would certainly pose a problem for close range shooting and I generally remove the rear sight when I install a peep sight just to get it out of the way.

My Marlin 39 has a fold down semi-buckhorn sight which poses no problem for the receiver mounted Lyman sight. I'd love to find several of these sights to put on my other lever guns.

Oh, and yeah, wern't those M-14s the bomb? I used both it, the M-21 and the M-14 National Match versions of them during my career. Loved 'em and that's where I really learned to appreciate the peep sight with a blade or post front sight. M-14s are for memories, eh?

ColColt
05-27-2013, 07:05 PM
I ordered the Lyman. From all indications it's a bit better sight and I will probably be changing zero now and then as I work up various loads so, that may be a tad easier with the Lyman. I guess I need to see if I can located my brass drift to take that rear sight off.

I loved that M14...bad to the bone. I never saw a one jam although I saw several guys who never had even held a rifle before drop the magazines in that SC sand, pop it back in and it just kept shooting. My first taste of a peep sight was a good experience. I still can't believe I was hitting targets at 300 meters with that rifle during qualification. I'd need a 12x scope to do that now.

helice
05-28-2013, 09:12 PM
Our eyes are a sure way to let us know we are getting more 'mature.' I don't think you can go wrong with the Lyman sight. The extra expense is welll worth it for the guy who experiments with loads. So many of us have a terdy-terdy that is sighted in for 150 yards with the cheap William's Sight and its been that way for terdy years and it ain't a gonna change no how.;-)

williamwaco
05-28-2013, 09:18 PM
Take a look at the Marbles. They are really nice.

http://www.marblearms.com/standardPeepTang.html

ColColt
05-28-2013, 09:36 PM
I found one for $75...cheaper than ol' Larry Potter. Too late about the Marbles sight. The Lyman is on the way. I wanted a receiver sight over the tang sight anyway.

RickinTN
05-28-2013, 09:37 PM
If your rifle is sighted now with the factory buckhorn don't remove it just yet. When you get your new Lyman sight install it and adjust it to "witness" the buckhorn sight and you'll be pretty close to adjusted with your new sight. Should only need slight adjustments then.
Good Luck and enjoy your new sight,
Rick

ColColt
05-28-2013, 09:40 PM
That's a good idea. It would be great if I didn't have to remove it at all. This is the Legendary Frontiersmen I have coming soon.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x220/ColColt/My%20Stuff/ScreenHunter_01May081925_zps1dc1e9dd.jpg (http://s180.photobucket.com/user/ColColt/media/My%20Stuff/ScreenHunter_01May081925_zps1dc1e9dd.jpg.html)

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x220/ColColt/My%20Stuff/ScreenHunter_01May241951_zps9377ad6c.jpg (http://s180.photobucket.com/user/ColColt/media/My%20Stuff/ScreenHunter_01May241951_zps9377ad6c.jpg.html)

RickinTN
05-28-2013, 10:12 PM
Very pretty rifle. I've wanted a 26" barreled Winchester '92 or '94 for shooting cast. You may not have to remove the rear sight. You may get by just lowering it. If you are intending to shoot lower velocity cast the rear sight should be high enough when sighted to easily see over the factory buckhorn.
Do I remember the chambering is 38-55 on those rifles?
Rick

ColColt
05-29-2013, 11:19 AM
Yep-it's the 38-55. At one time that cartridge was once used in target matches from what I've read.