PDA

View Full Version : What is this

Char-Gar
05-27-2013, 01:44 PM
I picked up this hand made die in a bunch of 6mm benchrest (PPC, BR Rem and 6 X47) dies. It has a removable bushing (.439) at the bottom and the interior hole where the case neck would go is .270.

My best guess is a die that decaps and sizes the base (spec is .440) of 6mm PPC rounds. The finish on the rest of the inside of the die, tells me it was not intended to size anything.

Bench rest has never been my game, so does anybody have any more ideas on what this is? I think I will peddle it on Ebay so somebody can get some use out of it.

Randy C
05-30-2013, 08:58 PM
My guess is it is a bushing neck sizing die, you can change the bushing to match your brass-bullet tension on the neck of the brass, most people will trim the brass length and neck, then buy the bushing the size they want, Just guessing here

GP100man
05-30-2013, 09:55 PM
6mm PPC is a short cartridge ! My guess is it sizes the body just enuff for reliable chambering & does nothing to the neck , I`ve seen a Bench guy practice with just 1 case , sized in a very small press ,seat primer ,added powder (from a can with a dipper) then push the bullet in with his fingers . Had a homemade lookin rig to get consistent AOLs, I`m sure the lands seated it the rest of the way .

Could`nt argue with em , he had 1 hole group that almost got lost on a 1" dot !!
He later told me it was a $7k rifle !!

Randy C
05-30-2013, 10:05 PM
Cool Its different from anything I've used.

Hawkeye45
05-30-2013, 11:57 PM
IMHO it looks like the Wilson decaping/neck sizing die. In bench rest the case is only neck sized to put the proper tension on the bullet. Once the case is fired in a particular rifle, it is only used in that rifle so no need to full length resize. I have a bunch of 6ppc stuff I am going to sell some time soon.

Mr. Ed