PDA

View Full Version : Bad Hombres on the back 40

Thumbcocker
05-27-2013, 11:41 AM
We were heading out to the back 40 to look for arrowheads and and to bumb around. Of course I was packing along a sixgun loaded with boolits. I saw movement over by the brush and almost slapped leather. I decided to try to parly before slinging lead. They were some rough looking customers.71711

I sat down and stayed calm. Kept my powder dry as the gang moved in on me.71712

The leader was a tough looking customer. I figured he had a hide out gun or a Bowie knife on him but I wasn't worried Mrs. Thumbcocker had my back.71713

Sure enough the leader made a grab for my kyes. Probably planning on using my truck to get away after a robbery or raiding some ranch.71714

I gave him my best steely eyed stare and patted my revolver and he backed down. I figured he would since he wouldnt even show his face. Besides I figured we could hole up in the house until reinforcements from Floyd got here. It just goes to show that you can't be too careful these days with all the bad elements running around.

1Shirt
05-27-2013, 12:13 PM
Nicely done!
1Shirt!

Goatwhiskers
05-27-2013, 12:21 PM
Calm bravery in the face of danger is always worthy of honor and respect. GW

sparky45
05-27-2013, 12:24 PM
But did you find any Arrowheads?

Coug91
05-27-2013, 12:26 PM
They're cute... until they knock over your trash cans... and then they're still cute. Little bandits!

alrighty
05-27-2013, 12:38 PM
Great Pics , to bad more people don't get to experience these things.

lbaize3
05-27-2013, 12:55 PM
Your bravery in the face of overwhelming odds does impress me. You can cover my six anytime!

**oneshot**
05-27-2013, 01:13 PM
Curious little buggers aren't they.

x101airborne
05-27-2013, 01:15 PM
I would have never been in that situation. WAY too Hairy! LOL
Actually I never would have experienced that. I would have turned em into furry tacos before they had a chance to get away. If you have ever had chickens, you hate coons.

GOPHER SLAYER
05-27-2013, 02:40 PM
Who are those masked men?

sparkz
05-27-2013, 03:21 PM
Young coons are super frendley,, But now ya made a mistake,, your trash cans is doomed and they will come-a-shopping very soon,
but very cool to see in the wild, young ones

Patrick

Thumbcocker
05-27-2013, 05:16 PM
They are a good quarter mile from the house and I have been practicing my "snake eyed squint."

TXGunNut
05-27-2013, 05:16 PM
Years ago I worked the night shift at a truck dealer in Ft Worth. I worked alone in a large warehouse and the back was open all the time. I had a pair of half grown coons wander down the aisle very early (2-3am) one morning and I was half asleep. I said "hi guys", they jabbered something back and we continued on our seperate ways. Didn't seem so odd until I woke up a bit. :wink: They came by at least once a week for awhile to raid the trash but didn't make a mess of it. Was kinda nice to have a little company.

montana_charlie
05-27-2013, 07:09 PM
They are a good quarter mile from the house and I have been practicing my "snake eyed squint."
That's about the same as saying they live under your porch.

I caught a half-grown raccoon in a live trap a few years ago. Glad that I got him before he got our chickens, I still felt bad about shooting him.
So ... I hauled his fuzzy butt to a coulee I know about two and a half miles away ... where there is running water and just about everything needed to make a coon happy.
I let him out of the trap and he probably beat me back to our place.

He was in the trap the following morning.

CM

slim1836
05-27-2013, 07:13 PM
That's about the same as saying they live under your porch.

I caught a half-grown raccoon in a live trap a few years ago. Glad that I got him before he got our chickens, I still felt bad about shooting him.
So ... I hauled his fuzzy but to a coulee I know about two and a half miles away ... where there is running water and just about everything needed to make a coon happy.
I let him out of the trap and he probably beat me back to our place.

He was in the trap the following morning.

CM

How could you tell, they all look alike?

Slim

mainiac
05-27-2013, 07:17 PM
I would have never been in that situation. WAY too Hairy! LOL
Actually I never would have experienced that. I would have turned em into furry tacos before they had a chance to get away. If you have ever had chickens, you hate coons.

Glad im not the only one with bad thoughts!!!!Ill add,,,,,,,,anyone who raises sweet corn,aint real found of them things either!!!!

gray wolf
05-27-2013, 07:21 PM
Were you adorned with a vest ? if so what level ? and did you have Ceramic plates ?
Back years ago ( many years ) I worked in a tavern in Ct. It was kinda a country, woodsy setting.
anyway one night a whole family of the little masked bandits came strolling in the back door and made there way behind the bar. I gave one a Cherry, the kind that goes in a Manhattan.
Well one by one standing according to size they all stood up and made a give me one sign with there front paws held out. When the cherries were gone they resumed the 4 legged position and left the scene. BUT-- they returned for many nights to follow.
Customers would come in to see the show, the owner didn't appreciate me playing Clyde Beaty
even though I didn't have a whip or a chair. So the back door got locked and the Coons moved on.
I use to have a Ferret that liked those red dye soaked Cherries also, I used to carry him in my pocket when I went out on the town. Man the young laddies liked him a lot. It was better than walking a young puppy in the park on a sunny day.
One day I put him on the pool table in this greasy spoon bar, well down one of the pockets he went. I guess he thought it was some kind of man made PD town. He would pop his head up and then scoot back down and come up another from another pocket in the other end of the table. Don't ask what a job I had getting him to surrender and come back to me. What a hoot, I really like that little ferret, his name was Sparky. Sorry for the drift.

km101
05-27-2013, 07:49 PM
Glad im not the only one with bad thoughts!!!!Ill add,,,,,,,,anyone who raises sweet corn,aint real found of them things either!!!!

Cute little rascals, but they are bad for the quail population too, along with their other bad habits! I cant let them stay around.

Jim
05-27-2013, 07:54 PM
Cute little rascals,.....

Oh, yeah. I like lookin' at 'em through a Weaver K-4.

montana_charlie
05-27-2013, 08:37 PM
How could you tell, they all look alike?
Well, they all wear masks, but I made him tell me his name ...

Actually, he got a claw wedged in a pinch point in the trap on the first go round. When he jerked to get it free, he snapped the tip off.
The racoon in the trap the following morning had the same 'manicure'.

CM

GL49
05-27-2013, 09:47 PM
Jim, that doesn't look like the tactical cricket with the flashlight mounted under the barrel. I've mounted a flashlight under the barrel of my Chipmunk, don't have much use for it, but it's kinda cool. I've got trouble with possums, not coons.

wlc
05-27-2013, 10:06 PM
Mmmmm, looks tasty! Half grown coon is the best.

Jim
05-27-2013, 10:09 PM
Jim, that doesn't look like the tactical cricket with the flashlight mounted under the barrel. I've mounted a flashlight under the barrel of my Chipmunk, don't have much use for it, but it's kinda cool. I've got trouble with possums, not coons.

That's a Marlin XTR in stainless. I sold the Cricket.

sparky45
05-27-2013, 11:14 PM
Good Lord Jim, it looks as if you poached a nice sized Buck as well.

Gliden07
05-27-2013, 11:22 PM
Had a good chuckle!! Nice story!!

10-x
05-29-2013, 08:23 AM
Had them as pets when a kid. Raised on a toy doll's baby bottle. House broken and would sit in my old high chair at the table and eat. Smarter than dog or cat. Now days rabies is really bad in them down here and the DNR will come around if they find one as a pet. I remember taking the ones I had to the vet back in the 50's-60's, just like a dog. Vet thought nothing of giving them rabies shots. Rufus was the last one's name, he was something else. BTW we had chickens, he was well trained.

Hamish
05-29-2013, 08:41 AM
Thank you for the story and a smile this morning!

TenTea
05-29-2013, 11:04 AM
I think this is called *creative license*... :lol:

Thanks!

10-x
05-29-2013, 12:40 PM
I know its a kids book but read Sterling North's "Rascal", all about a pet coon and others. We have them come in the back yard from the marsh to eat bird food. Afraid one night the Grey will tangle with one.

David2011
05-29-2013, 12:48 PM
Great story. Thans for sharing!

David