PDA

View Full Version : Wheat beer

Pb2au
05-27-2013, 10:49 AM
Just started my first batch of beer for the season. I'm a little late starting this year due to gutting and renovating the kitchen.
I love lagers, stouts and wheat beers. This batch is a wheat beer. Once this one is in the bottles, I'll go ahead and start a batch of lager in the fermenter.
Superior quality beer on the cheap, who wouldn't like that? Well, people who do not like beer I suppose.....

Travtastik
05-27-2013, 10:54 AM
I have always wanted to try home brewing but have never had a chance. Had a buddy he did it for awhile and he made some of the best beer I have ever had.

Pb2au
05-27-2013, 08:49 PM
Home brewing is pretty simple. If you can keep things clean, boil water and watch a clock and or a calendar, you can brew!

Gliden07
05-28-2013, 06:18 AM
Do you whole Grain brew or use Malt extracts? I use the Malt Extracts due to not having a large enough pot for the whole grain process. Wheat Beers are one of my favorites!! I have one that that is an American Wheat Beer that is outstanding! Just got a bottling system called a "Party Pig" its basically 2 small 2.5 gallon kegs, which simplifies the bottling process (only have to wash, rinse and sanitize 2 big bottles!) which is the worse part of the home brew process. Still dialing that in though last batch was overcarbonated because you use less Priming Sugar when using kegs. Still tasty though!!

Pb2au
05-28-2013, 08:09 AM
Primarily malt extracts, but for stout I end up using both. Whole grain process is a handfull to deal with for sure.
I am in big trouble. A fellow just opened a brewing store about 15 minutes from my house. Before I had to go about an hour to get supplies.
As a champion of small business, I will do my best to support his effort.............

prsman23
05-28-2013, 08:29 AM
All grain isn't all that bad. The best way to get a nicer beer is a partial mash. If you don't have time for all grain and even if you do many award winning beers have won this way. Wheat beers I drink young. I like them about 4 weeks in. Make more now. Once those are gone there is no going back. Also homebrewtalk.com is your friend. And the old episodes of the jamil show. He goes through every style in detail.

prsman23
05-28-2013, 08:41 AM
Double post sorry.

Jupiter7
05-28-2013, 08:49 AM
Just started my first batch of beer for the season. I'm a little late starting this year due to gutting and renovating the kitchen.
I love lagers, stouts and wheat beers. This batch is a wheat bee
r. Once this one is in the bottles, I'll go ahead and start a batch of lager in the fermenter.
Superior quality beer on the cheap, who wouldn't like that? Well, people who do not like beer I suppose.....

How are you brewing lagers at home? I was only ever able to brew California commons which ferments ideally at temps in the 50's. Lagers usually require low temps and are usually bottom fermenters.

My favorite brew is an English brown clone of my own recipe, similar to a newcastle. For a real kicker, I like to brew what I call an imperial colonial porter- all American and in your face about 8%abv and 110ibu's.

trapper9260
05-28-2013, 08:51 AM
My brother and I made some corn beer and you would no know it was made of corn never made it out of wheat yet .We mainly make our own malt. That is what we did with the corn . We use popcorn that did not pop good that we grew it came out good and made some beer out of the same corn but with barley also.

Moonie
05-28-2013, 10:03 AM
I love lagers, stouts and wheat beers. This batch is a wheat beer. Once this one is in the bottles, I'll go ahead and start a batch of lager in the fermenter.

So what's the recipe, share for those of us that also brew. We are interested.

Gliden07
05-28-2013, 01:36 PM
Besides not having big enough pots how do you modulate the temp for the rests to convert the starch to sugar?? I know you bring it to a certain temp hold it for so long and raise temp again hold it etc... But how do you hold the temp? How important are the temps and hold times??

All grain isn't all that bad. The best way to get a nicer beer is a partial mash. If you don't have time for all grain and even if you do many award winning beers have won this way. Wheat beers I drink young. I like them about 4 weeks in. Make more now. Once those are gone there is no going back. Also homebrewtalk.com is your friend. And the old episodes of the jamil show. He goes through every style in detail.

Suo Gan
05-28-2013, 01:58 PM
I am curious, how much does a case of wheat beer cost to make at home?

Jupiter7
05-28-2013, 02:05 PM
I am curious, how much does a case of wheat beer cost to make at home?

Depends on ingredients. Most extract brewers do 5 gallon batches, thats roughly 48 12oz beers. My most inexpensive extract ran $18 per batch. Through Williams or other online retailer, $30+ on the low side. But my beer will be fresher than any store bought beer.

Pb2au
05-28-2013, 04:55 PM
So what's the recipe, share for those of us that also brew. We are interested.
Dirt simple recipe. Total beer to be made is 5 gallons.
Start with around 1.5 to 2 gallons of water and bring that to a boil. Add one large can of the wheat malt extract, plus one packet of the hops. Return to a low boil and hold that for a half hour. At that point, add a second can of the malt extract, and another packet of the hops, return to boil for 15 minute.
Clean clean clean your fermenter bucket, and fill it 3/4 with ice. Pour the hot mixture (wort) into the bucket over the ice. The whole idea of the ice is to start dropping the temp of the wort. After the ice has melted, add enough water to bring the grand total of liquid to 5 gallons. When the temp of the wort is below 90 degrees, pitch. The yeast onto the top of the liquid and let it sit for 10 minutes. After that, stir it in, seal up the fermenter, add the airlock and it will ferment for around 3-4 days.

There are a lot of kits at brew stores that have everything you need to do a batch of beer. Get on the interwebz and there is a wealth of knowledge to help you along. And of course feel free to pick my brain. I'm am no expert by any means, but I'm glad to help.

TheGrimReaper
06-03-2013, 01:10 PM
Wheat beer is the best!!! My dad makes it and it is awsome!!!

rexherring
06-03-2013, 01:14 PM
Sounds great, never had it but my Dad used to make a wheat wine that was terrific.

Pb2au
06-07-2013, 01:40 PM
How are you brewing lagers at home? I was only ever able to brew California commons which ferments ideally at temps in the 50's. Lagers usually require low temps and are usually bottom fermenters.

My favorite brew is an English brown clone of my own recipe, similar to a newcastle. For a real kicker, I like to brew what I call an imperial colonial porter- all American and in your face about 8%abv and 110ibu's.

My basement is something out of the middle ages. I do them during the winter, the basement hovers in the low 50's.

Pb2au
06-07-2013, 01:44 PM
Depends on ingredients. Most extract brewers do 5 gallon batches, thats roughly 48 12oz beers. My most inexpensive extract ran $18 per batch. Through Williams or other online retailer, $30+ on the low side. But my beer will be fresher than any store bought beer.

Same here. The wheat beer costs about 25$ ish to make 5 gallons. So you figure 5$ a gallon, or about .50 cents a beer if my cruddy math skills are correct

DxieLandMan
06-07-2013, 02:06 PM
Alabama just passed the law making us the last state to legalize home brewing. I love a good wheat beer anytime. Not too fond of the IPA's though.