PDA

View Full Version : Got a great deal?

Honorstick
05-27-2013, 09:46 AM
Hi folks

I'm new to the site and just wanted to say hi.

I am not new to reloading but am to swaging so will probably be asking a few questions along the way. I plan on making my own dies and such since I have some health issues that recently put me on the disability list and can't really afford to buy the equipment.

Anyway I was at the auction last week and ran ito what I consider to be a great deal, I picked up and old RCBS A2 press in great shape and a Spartan single stage, got them both for $20 total. I think the RCBS will be a great press for swaging and couldn't beat the price. Now I just need to get busy and fire up the lathe to see what I can come up with for tooling.

Hoping to learn a lot from the site and possibly even helping out along the way.

When I get a chance I'll try to post up some pics of the presses and maybe my bench when I get it straightened out.:D

Utah Shooter
05-27-2013, 10:10 AM
No, you did not get a great deal. You got a Super Duper Overly Awesome Great Deal!

mold maker
05-27-2013, 10:44 AM
I would have went from the auction to buy lottery tickets. That's like striking GOLD.

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
05-27-2013, 07:21 PM
Your RCBS A2 press will be great for swaging. I have used both my A and A2 press for swaging 22 cal bullets and it is MORE than enough press. The A series presses are in my opinion at the top of the list when it comes to single stage presses. What are GREAT find!

MOcaster
05-27-2013, 08:16 PM
I can't tell if you really don't know or if you are just rubbing it in.

Honorstick
05-27-2013, 08:32 PM
I can't tell if you really don't know or if you are just rubbing it in.

Actually rubbing it in a little bit. :)

I know the A2 is a great deal even if it's just for a good solid reloading press, wasn't 100% sure for swaging though.

newcastter
05-27-2013, 08:42 PM
Let's double your money....I'll give you forty for both...JK

Honorstick
06-04-2013, 08:30 PM
Pictures of my setup and the presses I picked up and my bench. The two in the middle are the ones I picked up at the auction. I'm sure I'll hear it about the loadmaster but I love it and haven't had any problems doing 9mm, 32 win special and 7.62 x 39 and I'm about ready to set it up for 45acp. The A2 is the one I'm thinking about using for swaging.

R.Ph. 380
06-04-2013, 08:48 PM
They didn't arrest you as you were leaving? Theft, I tell ya'...................hehehe

Bill

customcutter
06-04-2013, 09:20 PM
Nothing wrong with the Loadmaster. I've got one and load .223, .40, .45 with it. I recently picked up a 9mm and the dies for it but need to order a new plate. I set it up in all 3 calibers for less than other progressives in a single caliber. The Loadmaster also has a great forum.

CC

Honorstick
06-04-2013, 09:30 PM
Just seems like quite a few people tend to pick on the loadmaster some times but I really like it and it doesn't give me the fits I hear some people talk about, maybe it's just the way I treat it.

customcutter
06-04-2013, 09:59 PM
Just seems like quite a few people tend to pick on the loadmaster some times but I really like it and it doesn't give me the fits I hear some people talk about, maybe it's just the way I treat it.

Yes, been there done that. I did my homework before buying the loadmaster. It basically boiled down to personal preference and color. If you're "heavy handed" I tell people to steer clear of the Loadmaster. If you're mechanically inclined and don't mind listening to the clicks, whizzes, and whirs and can tell when something is out of sinc, then you can save a lot of money on the Loadmaster. Bottom line they all have their issues.

CC

27judge
06-04-2013, 10:33 PM
That A2 is a hoss . ITS the first loading press I ever had some 50 years ago . to this day I could boot myself for selling it tks ken

lmfd20
06-07-2013, 04:05 PM
Love my loadmaster. Only thing that will replace it will be a 1050 when I can afford it.

Suo Gan
06-07-2013, 04:50 PM
Well, that was quite a buy, good job. Something like this might plant the seed...looks like it HAS! Welcome aboard.

customcutter
06-07-2013, 05:14 PM
Well, that was quite a buy, good job. Something like this might plant the seed...looks like it HAS! Welcome aboard.

Ain't that how it works. You get a great deal on something and spend a couple a grand getting all the "accessories".