PDA

View Full Version : BBQ sauce

44man
05-27-2013, 08:20 AM
Mine came out OK but just not right for ribs. It is for pulled venison.
I need a rub and sauce recipe for pork ribs. I just don't like store bought sauce.
If anyone uses bought sauce, what do you like best?

wch
05-27-2013, 09:05 AM
Bullseye Original.
Fitting, isn't it?

alrighty
05-27-2013, 09:18 AM
I will give you mine as per recipe and I will show how I have changed it to my taste.
BBQ SAUCE ORIGINAL RECIPE
1 Cup Vinegar 2 Tbsp. Margarine
1 Cup Tomato Ketchup 1 Tsp. Salt
1 Cup Mustard 2 Tsp. Black Pepper
1 Cup Sugar 3 Tsp. Red Pepper
Mix all ingredients and boil five minutes.
I prefer less of a mustard flavor so I cut down the cup of mustard to simply 2 Tbsp.
I also substitute 1 Tsp. of the Red Pepper to 1 Tsp. of dried Cayenne Pepper flakes.
You can also substitute the White Sugar to Brown Sugar.I some times substitute Local Honey when doing Chicken or Ribs and use less Sugar.
Feel free to make changes and let me know how it worked.
As far as Store bought , I like the Sweet Baby Ray's Hickory and Brown Sugar for Ribs as well.

gmsharps
05-27-2013, 09:18 AM
Stubbs is also good

gmsharps

Jim
05-27-2013, 09:31 AM
Bullseye Original

GOOD stuff! Use it all the time.
:bigsmyl2:

JSH
05-27-2013, 09:54 AM
Different parts of the country have way different ideas and thoughts on BBQ and everything that goes with it. That being said I am from kansas. I use wood or charcoal. Not propane or briquettes. If you go to any heat source go to an electric element.
IMHO fuel imparts as much taste as anything.
You are asking basic questions so I will give a basic answer both KC style.
Rub
Dry ribs and remove membrane
Salt and pepper bothe sides
Spray with apple juice
Rub brown sugar on both sides
Spray lightly with apple juice again
Cook on indirect heat at 250-275 for 1-2 hours
Remove spray with apple juice again and wrap in foil. Back in cooker again until done to your liking. Indirect cooking is a must because of all the sugar. It will burn and be bitter.
Sauce
Very basic add to it as you like.
Equal parts of ketchup and jelly.
Warm in pan till warmed and melted.
You can use what ever jelly you like. I have even used marmalade with good results.
Store bought sauce.
KC Masterpiece Original
There is a Budweiser BBQ sauce that I have been using that I like. It can be hard to find at times.
IMHO sauce is added after not slopped on while cooking.
Jeff

Marvin S
05-27-2013, 10:03 AM
My very best by far store bought sauce is Uncle Sonny's. Most likely only available in Ne Kansas. I have tried lots of them but this one is the best.

2AMMD
05-27-2013, 10:08 AM
Super simple barbeque sauce

1 cup ketchup
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup molasses
1/4 cup "try me tiger sauce" (usually found with the hot sauces)

pour in a bowl and mix - no need to cook

762 shooter
05-27-2013, 11:26 AM
Sweet Baby Ray's. Good cold, better hot.

I used to make my own. Not worth the trouble.

Had some ribs last weekend. 3-2-1. 3 hours on the grill indirect. 2 hours in foil. 1 hour or less to taste and glaze back on grill. Fall off the bone goodness.

gbrown
05-27-2013, 03:05 PM
I'll give you the old family recipe, came from an ironworker from Wichita Falls, Tx, as I remember, name of O.L. "Rich" Richardson. He came up with this in the '40's or '50's and won some barbecue contests with it.

Rich's Texas Special

1 can tomato soup
1/2 can vinegar (soup can)
1/2 can oil (soup can)
2 tsp garlic salt
2 Tbsp wet mustard
1 tsp hot sauce
1 Tbsp sugar
half lemon (squeeze juice, throw rind in sauce)
1 can tomato paste (small can, like 3 or 4 oz)
1 tsp onion salt
1 can (tomato paste) water
Pepper to your taste (black or red)

We used a blender to mix all ingredients (except lemon rind) really well, but before blenders were common, did it by hand.
You can cook it or you don't have to. Really good on anything. My buddy used to pour some in a plate/saucer and just sop it up with bread. We would smother our plates with it, the meat and baked potatoes or potato salad.

NSB
05-27-2013, 05:35 PM
Sweet Baby Ray's. Good cold, better hot.

I used to make my own. Not worth the trouble.

Had some ribs last weekend. 3-2-1. 3 hours on the grill indirect. 2 hours in foil. 1 hour or less to taste and glaze back on grill. Fall off the bone goodness.

Sweet Baby Ray's is so good you don't even need meat with it!

zidave
05-27-2013, 06:35 PM
Stubbs is also good

gmsharps

Love Stubbs

44man
05-28-2013, 08:07 AM
Wonderful, I wrote it all down, printer is out of ink as usual!
I think I have Sweet Baby Rays on the shelf. But I have to try your recipes.

Moonie
05-28-2013, 10:07 AM
Another vote for Sweet Baby Ray's. I used to make my own sauce, but that one is so good I don't see the point. On yahoo today I read a review of sauces, Sweet Baby Ray's was at the top. Stubbs was as well, but it is MUCH more expensive.

Bodydoc447
05-28-2013, 08:25 PM
I bought Sweet Baby Ray's over at Sam's Club. Even my wife commented on how good it is. I like a dab on the plate with my brisket. It shines as a replacement for catsup with French fries, too.

Doc

DougGuy
05-28-2013, 08:56 PM
I need a rub and sauce recipe for pork ribs. I just don't like store bought sauce.
If anyone uses bought sauce, what do you like best?

44man I will be glad to share my most simple and delicious rib treatment with you. I have been doing pork ribs for about 40yrs, tried every way under the sun and one thing sticks in my mind steady as a rock, that be the commercially made rubs are too much salt. Nothing you do to the ribs will fix it later either.

For the rub, I have settled on the simplest and easiest, which is also the tastiest.

Mix together equal parts:

Cinnamon
Curry Powder
Cayenne Pepper

That's it.

Now, for the secret, you gotta find some African Blue Basil and grow it and dry it. It grows easy, bushes out really big, attracts a ton of bees to help pollinate your garden, and doesn't go bitter when it flowers. You can get it usually at a Farmer's Market from one of the people who sell herbs. It's great stuff, and it has a wonderful ability to maintain it's flavor and aroma even under a thick coating of Sweet Baby Ray's and a 3/8" deep smoke ring.

I tear the tissue off the back of the bone side, cause that part is actually the best tasting part of the ribs, so I don't want that tissue on there, that part collects the rub and the sauce and smoke flavor and I scrape it off with my teeth or a fork, it's tastier than the meat!

Take the dried basil and crumble it/grind it between your palms and sprinkle it evenly on the bottom, pat with hand to make it stay on, then dust thickly with the mixed 3 seasonings until the meat is covered heavily, pat with hand if necessary, then flip and do the same. Grill ribs over hickory smoke until a toothpick slides easily between the bones and the meat is pulled up about 3/8" off the small end of the bones, 2 1/2 to 3hrs @ about 325° then cut the heat back to about 200° and slather thickly with Sweet Baby Ray's and let it get almost black with caramelization.

These ribs are sweet, spicy, sticky, smoky, and the basil adds it's own flavor to the mix that just has to be tried a time or two to appreciate. It doesn't taste like basil because it's a perennial and not a true basil, it has some camphor in it that gives it the basil aroma and that's also what preserves it's aroma and flavor and lets it come through all the cooking and the hickory smoke and the other seasonings. Kinda neat stuff for ribs, very habit forming, very unique, and very very good.

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/BBQ/259441_10150270191616350_6845786_o_zps4a14c858.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/BBQ/259441_10150270191616350_6845786_o_zps4a14c858.jpg .html)

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/BBQ/258502_10150270191401350_4486901_o_zpseb5b6350.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/BBQ/258502_10150270191401350_4486901_o_zpseb5b6350.jpg .html)

Edit: The pink color on the meat in this photo is not the digital camera, that's what hickory smoke does, it colors the meat all the way down to the bone, they call that the "smoke ring" when you cook over wood smoke that's what it will do to the outer 3/8" or so, it will turn chicken red all the way to the bone.. Man, there is a lot of things in this life that I don't take seriously unless I absolutely have to, BBQing is not one of those things, We do BBQ here, and we don't play. This is serious business, and serious good BBQ!

Edit #2: Let me see if I can get video to post, I use a Traeger pellet grill which is actually a wood fired convection oven that burns food grade pellets made of hickory, cherry, maple and apple.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iDTapZvhTM

Reverend Al
05-28-2013, 09:43 PM
Jack Daniel’s BBQ Rib Glaze

1 cup Jack Daniels whiskey
½ cup of dark brown sugar
1 cup of Catsup
1 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce
¼ cup of vinegar
1 teaspoon of liquid smoke
1 tablespoon of lemon juice
3 cloves of minced garlic (more or less to taste … in my case more of course!)
½ teaspoon of dry mustard powder
¼ teaspoon of black pepper
¼ teaspoon of salt

Combine all of the ingredients and mix them well. Store the rib glaze aside in a glass or ceramic container (not plastic).

It’s best to prepare the ribs at least one day before cooking them. First, peel the white membrane from the back side of the ribs before cooking them. (The easiest method I’ve found is use a piece of ordinary paper towel to grasp one edge of the membrane and then peel it up and away from the back of the ribs. Try it, you’ll be surprised how easy it works!)

Put the prepared ribs into a large roasting pan with the wire rack set in the bottom and fill the bottom of the pan with apple juice. Put them into the oven at a fairly low temperature (about 250 degrees) and let them "steam" above the apple juice for about 2 to 2 1/2 hours until tender.

Cool the ribs, and then I like to "pre-smoke" them on the grill for a little while using some Jack Daniels smoking wood pellets wrapped in tinfoil. Place the ribs on one side of the grills with the burners under them shut off, and then light the two far opposite grills and place the packages of wood pellets or smoking chips over the lit grills. (You can also wet the pellets slightly to generate a little bit more smoke if you like.) Smoke them for up to an hour or more. You’ll just have to experiment with the length of smoking time to get them how you like them best.

Take the pre-smoked ribs and coat them thoroughly with the Jack Daniels BBQ Rib Glaze listed above and place them in the fridge in a glass or ceramic container to marinate overnight.

When you’re ready to serve the ribs the next day, place them on the grill over a medium heat and baste them often with the remaining glaze until they’re completely done.

(This glaze also works just as well when you BBQ chicken or pork too.)

OBIII
05-31-2013, 10:30 PM
I just bought a smoker, and smoked my first batch of ribs today. Heck of a learning curve from grilling. Anyway, I used this method for my dry rub: (BTW. I normally do not eat spareribs, but I have been eating these!)
Dry Rub Pork Ribs.

Ingredients:
1/4 cup Paprika
1/8 cup Fresh Ground Black Pepper
1-2 tablespoons Garlic Powder
1-2 tablespoons Onion Powder
1 tablespoon or more Cayenne Pepper
1/4 cup Coarse Salt
1/4 cup Brown or White Sugar

This will coat up to 6 lbs. Pork Ribs and 10 lbs. Pork Shoulder or Pork Roast.

I also incorporated:

1 tsp white pepper
1/2 tblspn Chipotle Pepper
1/2 tblspn Sage
1 tblspn ground Rosemary
1/4 cup Chili powder
1 tsp cumin

Secret # 6 - Slather your ribs. This is a thin coating (the key here is THIN) of olive oil, mustard, vinegar, honey or Worcestershire that is applied before smoking and acts as a bonding agent that better holds the dry rub to the ribs. More rub gives your ribs more flavor.

I used the 3-2-1 method for smoking. In the smoker for 3 hours, spritzing occasionally with apple juice and apple cider vinegar (2 -3 times), temp at around 225.
2 hours wrapped in foil, spritzing with apple juice/vinegar prior to sealing pouch.
1 hour or less out of foil, reaching internal temp of 172.

Hickory wood chips, wet. Wrapped in foil to prevent flareups. Next time I'm finding chunks.
Charcoal, propane for main source of heat.

Have fun, I did.

DIRT Farmer
05-31-2013, 10:45 PM
The base is citrus juice, wostershire sause, viniger, small amount of oil, molasses. I just dump them in togather, to taste and simmer. If you like tomato, add paste. The salt and pepper should be in the rub, just not to over power. Play around till you get what you like.

As sweat as most of the commerical sauses are they should be desert.

762 shooter
06-01-2013, 09:33 AM
I slather the ribs with mustard to hold the dry rub. I was skeptical about the resulting mustard taste the first time. You will not taste the mustard but it imparts a slight acidity that brightens up the meat and works great as rub glue. Careful on the amount of hickory smoke. You can smoke them too much and they taste like an ash tray. Apple, pecan, or peach wood is a lighter smoke flavor.

Cooking procedure gets you the texture and tenderness and smoke. The rub is where you get the flavor. The sauce is just so you can lick your fingers.

You probably knew all this but I was bored this morning.

Changeling
06-01-2013, 12:53 PM
Hi Jim. This is the best BBQ information on the Internet. There is a guy named Roxy that is a Canadian chef who posts his recipes witch are kept as "stickeys". Everything he has listed is awesome. Trust me. You will have to sign up to get to the information though.

http://thesmokering.com/forum/login.php

firefly1957
06-01-2013, 06:33 PM
My whole family agrees this is the best store bought BBQ sauce http://www.shoprite.com/pd/Chicken-N-Ribs/BBQ-Sauce-Original/72-fl-oz/041490424846/.

Everyone has there own methods of cooking i cook the ribs until nearly done with nothing on them them baste one side with sauce as that gets heated on i turn them and do the other side this can be done the number of times you like simple and tasty.

My recipes work well when cooked on any meat i am out and will make more this fall if the weather lets my garden live!
BBQ Sauce recipe 1

5 Cups juice from whole fresh ripe tomatoes
2 whole jalapeños remove top and seeds (more or less to taste) 2 peppers are a little hot
1 medium onion
2 cloves of garlic or 2 table spoons garlic powder added in pot while cooking

Above ingredients liquefied in blender pour in pot bring to boil then simmer while adding following ingredients simmer until thickens will reduce to about a third of volume.

3 TBS. salt
4 TBS. mustard (yellow)
½ cup Worcestershire sauce
½ cup cider vinegar
2 cups light corn syrup
½ cup white sugar

Simmered about three hours.

Can use brown sugar

BBQ Recipe 2 September 2010 HOT!

5 cups of whole tomatoes juiced
1 ghost peeper
2 Jalapeños
1medium onion
Juice above in blender add water if needed to blend pour off as fills then heat to boil reduce to simmer adding the below ingredients

2 tbsp garlic powder
4 tbsp yellow mustard
3 tbsp salt
½ cup Worcestershire sauce
1 cup light corn syrup
1 cup dark brown sugar
1 tbsp black pepper

Hard simmer until thick stir often may reduce down to a third of volume depending of water added and moisture of tomatoes.

Note you can add peppers if you like it spicy the second recipe was just right cooked on ribs a bit spicy on a burger Next time i would use 2 ghost peppers because i just ain't right in the head!

km101
06-03-2013, 01:57 PM
If I don't have time to make my own, I use Sweet Baby Ray's. It is about as good a commercial sauce as you will find, and you can get it at any Kroger or Sam's. But the recipe below is better if you have time to make it. Been using it for a long time and have only found a few who don't love it!

Homemade BBQ Sauce

¼ cup vegetable oil
1 cup minced onion
½ cup minced green pepper
1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
Pinch each of kosher salt and black pepper
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1 can (28 ounces) tomato sauce
2 cups ketchup
1 cup water
¾ cup Worcestershire sauce
½ cup cider vinegar
¼ cup lemon juice
¼ cup molasses
¼ cup cayenne pepper sauce (not hot sauce)
¼ cup spicy brown mustard
¾ cup dark brown sugar, packed
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 teaspoons coarsely ground black pepper
½ teaspoon ground allspice
1 tablespoon Liquid Smoke (optional)

Pour the oil into a large saucepan and set over medium-high heat. Toss in the onions, green peppers, and jalapeños and give them a stir. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper and cook til soft and golden. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more. Dump in everything else except the Liquid Smoke. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat so the sauce simmers. Simmer for 10 - 20 minutes. Swirl in the Liquid Smoke and let the sauce cool. Pour it into a container, cover, and store in the fridge til ready to use.

Makes 6 to 7 Cups

Goes well with brisket, ribs, chicken or almost any barbecue meat!

Larry D.
06-03-2013, 11:57 PM
If I'm buying it, Sweet Baby Ray's. Chipotle Raspberry is my favorite.

If I'm making it:
Whisk together 1/4 cup Worchestershire and 1/4 cup brown sugar.
Add this to 2 cups ketchup.

This will be the base from which you explore the world of sauce.

I add a bit of liquid smoke and a lot of black pepper.

Garlic and Italian Seasoning is another hit around here.