PDA

View Full Version : All about birds

WILCO
05-27-2013, 01:29 AM
http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/search.aspx

Great website for those who bird watch. I'm really enjoying my bird watching activities so far this year. Very exciting to identify a bird.

WILCO
05-27-2013, 01:34 AM
Here's one I spotted last year and was fooled into thinking it was just a Robin. Spotted him again on Saturday and got a better look on Sunday with a binocular. Breathtaking orange!!!

300savage
05-27-2013, 06:47 AM
Oh to be a kid again with a bb gun !

winelover
05-27-2013, 07:41 AM
Indigo Bunting hanging around our place.

Winelover

41 mag fan
05-27-2013, 09:35 AM
Wilco....we just put out Oriole feeders here. We've seen maybe 3 different pairs this year. They are a beautiful bird. They're rare around here though. Where my wife was from, N MN they were plentiful.

I used to be the same way...kill kill kill, any bird I could with my bb gun. Now being much much older, I see the beauty in nature now, more and more each year I appreciate the beauty GOD put on this earth for us to observe.

10-x
05-27-2013, 10:08 AM
Good thread. We have painted buntings, tufted titmouses, Carolina chickadess , Carolina wrens, house finches, orchard orioles and the usual, blue jays, red birds brown thrashers(state bird) and red-bellied woodpeckers. Wish we had a decent camera. I finally built a tree rat proof feeder, drives them nuts.

762 shooter
05-27-2013, 11:19 AM
Wilco,

Great link.

My wife thanks you. You are her new best friend.

WILCO
05-27-2013, 11:29 AM
My wife thanks you. You are her new best friend.

You're very welcome 762. Glad to share. Always good to have more friends. :D

WILCO
05-27-2013, 11:30 AM
Indigo Bunting hanging around our place.

Winelover

Thanks for sharing the pic!

WILCO
05-27-2013, 11:33 AM
Wilco....we just put out Oriole feeders here. We've seen maybe 3 different pairs this year. They are a beautiful bird.

That's great! Keep us posted. Beautiful bird indeed. The Cardinal is my first love, but the Oriole has just bumped the Blue Jay down a notch in my heart.

10-x
05-29-2013, 12:56 PM
How are blue jays where you live? In Va they were A.H.'s, down here they are laid back easy going.

Freightman
05-29-2013, 01:36 PM
I have Mockingbirds, cardinals,Mississippi kites, and bad grackles, starlings, but the dove are taking over the neighbor hood three kinds morning, white wing, and French ring neck

ShooterAZ
05-29-2013, 03:08 PM
That is a great bird site. It even has audio of each birds songs.

WILCO
05-29-2013, 06:05 PM
How are blue jays where you live? In Va they were A.H.'s, down here they are laid back easy going.

Around here they're fine.

WILCO
05-29-2013, 06:06 PM
That is a great bird site. It even has audio of each birds songs.

Audio is very helpful. Glad you liked the site.

KYCaster
05-29-2013, 08:01 PM
Nice site, thanks for posting.
Here's another you might like........

http://kieoke.tumblr.com/post/21453356318/king-in-yellow-when-ornithologists-are-mutually

Sorry...........just couldn't help it!!! [smilie=1:

Jerry

P.S. When I linked to the all about birds site, this cartoon just popped into my head. It's been many years since I last saw it and wondered if I could actually find it.

In the Google search box, I typed "when ornith", and this link popped up in the #1 spot in the hit list.......

Makes me wonder how it got to be so popular. :veryconfu

Thanks again for the site, I'll use it often.

10-x
05-29-2013, 08:48 PM
LOL....far side is hard to beat............hummmmm......how about a favorite far side cartoon thread?Copyright problems????

leeggen
05-29-2013, 09:41 PM
When I went to feed the guard dog at the pasture I saw 3 new Idigo babeis just learning to fly. Really great to live in Tn. Lots of dif. birds to see.
CD

Blacksmith
05-29-2013, 11:03 PM
Some of the rarer ones we see around here are:
Pileated Woodpecker
Bald Eagle
Great Blue Heron
Belted Kingfisher
Saw a wild turkey yesterday (fox and coyotes get most of them)

And the not so rare "GD" year round resident Canada Geese poop machines!

WILCO
05-30-2013, 06:03 PM
Canada Geese poop machines!

Yep. They do their own version of "Black Topping" at the sportsmen's club.

scottiemom
05-30-2013, 07:41 PM
thanks for the link Wilco! now I can identify the odd bird or two I see. Thanks to winelover for the indigo bunting pix- we have some at our feeder but was not sure what it was. I love watching the birds. Bill and George like it even better!

WILCO
05-31-2013, 08:36 PM
thanks for the link Wilco!

You're welcome.

WILCO
05-31-2013, 08:38 PM
I'm not really a "birder", but.......

Only takes a moment to fall in love with a specific bird. I was the same way and then one day I saw a Cardinal.

10-x
06-29-2013, 06:38 PM
Finally figured the camera out (kind of) and got these pics.Male is bright colors, female is pale green, still bad pic of her. Had 2 pair, 1 had at least 1 male chick as he was at the feeder last week, kind of drab looking.

429421Cowboy
06-29-2013, 08:01 PM
Thank you for the link, I love birds and everything about them! I will also share it with my grandmother, she asks me about once a week during the summer to ID a bird she saw based on her description, maybe next time I will just go through the site with her!

popper
06-30-2013, 10:24 PM
Wish the state had made a more pleasant (less obnoxious) bird, grackles & starlings are fair game anytime. Lots of doves this year, had mom sitting on the nest on top of my fits box but noticed the wind blew it off today, 2 broken eggs. Cardinals are neat, blue jays are a PITA & chase the cats away. Have some good sized hawks around here after road kill bunnies. I enjoy the great blue herons on tanycomo on a foggy morning on the river.

Janoosh
07-01-2013, 03:17 PM
+1 on the starlings. Here in NY, starlings and english sparrows ars fair game all year round, i just never see any in the woods! They tend to stay around the housing developments. We get Bald Eagles in the Beacon/Newburgh area in the winter. They are awesome to see. Especially when you are used to seeing NYC pigeons all day,

longranger
07-01-2013, 04:29 PM

It was the only way I could look at them up close. Had A pair of the Indigo Buntings in the headlights this morning. My buddy kept calling them Mountain Bluebirds, not a chance, he's not to smart.

WILCO
07-01-2013, 09:02 PM
I had a Cardinal swoop down if front of me the other morning while I was driving. I think he pulled 3 G's trying to get up and over the hood!

WILCO
07-01-2013, 09:03 PM
Finally figured the camera out (kind of) and got these pics.

Thanks for sharing!

10-x
07-03-2013, 11:00 PM
Here's a towhee, rufous sided? and the female painted bunting.

WILCO
09-08-2013, 09:33 AM
Bump and a post count!

fouronesix
09-08-2013, 10:36 AM
yep, from the smaller to the largest with most everyone having access to them in their own yard- only have to take the time, sit down, watch and listen. The Painted Buntings are spectacular and I call those Rufous-sided Towhee males "little roosters" :)

mikeym1a
09-08-2013, 10:51 AM
I was a kid with a BB gun once, and shot at a wren, not expecting to hit it. Well, I did, square in the back. It fell to the ground, and didn't move. I picked it up, and a small spot of blood was seeping through the feathers. I felt sad. It was the first thing I had killed. It was at this point I determined that I would not kill anything else that was not offending me. I'm still that way. Recently been pestered by a raccoon, and finally made up my mind to take him out, tired of the mess he was making. He decided not to come around, any more. And, yes, I would have eaten him. It's my personal determination not to kill anything I don't plan to eat, unless it's trying to eat me, humans excepted, of course. :shock:

mikeym1a
09-08-2013, 10:54 AM
Finally figured the camera out (kind of) and got these pics.Male is bright colors, female is pale green, still bad pic of her. Had 2 pair, 1 had at least 1 male chick as he was at the feeder last week, kind of drab looking.
Don't think we have any of those here in the northern mountains of Virginia. We have had a bluebird couple (and their descendants) living here for nearly 20 years, although I see them very seldom. Such a beautiful vivid blue.