PDA

View Full Version : Tip for slugging lever gun chamber neck.

wallenba
05-27-2013, 12:11 AM
I needed to know the chamber neck diameter of my Savage 300 model 99. (It's a long boring story, so I'll skip that.) Anyway, maybe this has been figured out already, but here goes. Insert a wooden dowel rod into an empty case. Cut it about 1/4" long. Then drop a lead round ball big enough to work, into the chamber. Then simply load the case and begin closing the bolt. Give it a good whack on the lever when contact is made, then remove slug in the usual manner from the muzzle.

By the way, my 1940 99 neck chamber is .345

John F.
05-27-2013, 02:27 AM
Sounds great! Thanks for sharing!!
John

44magLeo
05-27-2013, 08:41 PM
I don't think I would do it that way. Hammering on the lever might bend the lever or damage something else.
What I might do is cut a dowel the the length of the case minus a bit so you can slug just the neck of the case. Use a pure lead bullet. Drop the bullet into the chamber. chamber the dowle behind it. Now use a long dowel down the barrel, pound on the dowel to expand the boolit to fit the chamber neck.
Or even get some Cerro safe. Then make a chamber cast.
Leo

wallenba
05-29-2013, 11:28 PM
I don't think I would do it that way. Hammering on the lever might bend the lever or damage something else.
What I might do is cut a dowel the the length of the case minus a bit so you can slug just the neck of the case. Use a pure lead bullet. Drop the bullet into the chamber. chamber the dowle behind it. Now use a long dowel down the barrel, pound on the dowel to expand the boolit to fit the chamber neck.
Or even get some Cerro safe. Then make a chamber cast.
Leo

What I meant by a good whack, was with the palm of your hand. That's all it takes, I don't think that would bend or break anything.