PDA

View Full Version : Thank you for your help!

glw
05-26-2013, 10:40 PM
I want to thank everyone at the Cast Boolits forum for the help you have been to me. I don't say much on the forums, but I read here a lot and learn much. I'm sure there are others like me whom you have directed in the proper way to cast boolits and produce excellent and economical ammo.

Tonight I had my second casting session. I am using a hot plate that I modified according to instructions I gained from 375Ruger (modified the safety feature) so that the hot plate would get hot enough to melt lead. I used a small cast iron pot and pressure cast using a Lyman ladle. I used 50/50 coww and soft lead cable sheathing. I learned about this mixture from this forum.

I cast using two 2-cavity molds--a Lyman 311440 and Lee 309-120r. I cleaned the molds using carb cleaner and a paper towel. I lubed the molds using 2-cycle oil according to directions I found here. As I learned on this forum, I did not use any mold release or smoking the molds. The boolits dropped right out of both molds without difficulty.

The Lyman mold was fabulous! I preheated the mold by dipping it in the lead, and I only lost the first 6 or so boolits. The rest looked great, and drop at .312. This should be great in front of 16 grains of 2400 in my 30/30 (a load which I learned on the forums, too.) I have a Lee sizer that I polished to .3095, so I can size them if necessary.

The Lee is a new mold, so I lost about a third of the first boolits with wrinkles. I'm not sure why. It could be oil, or the mold too cold. But the rest of the boolits look great, and they drop at .309.

I tumble lubed the new boolits using White Label Lubes' 45/45/10 lube, of which I learned about here. I will be using aluminum gas checks that I learned about here, as well.

As you can see, this forum has had a great influence on my casting. Other than my stepdad who casts (and who lives 400 miles away), this forum is my casting mentor. Thank you again for all your help. It is greatly appreciated!

Blessings,
Glenn

Shiloh
05-27-2013, 10:37 AM
Century's of collective knowledge here on the forum. I cast better boolits and shoot them better from info gleaned on these very pages.
I expected nothing less for your efforts. Once you get the LEE mold running, it will also prodece good boolits. LEE six bangers will cast a mountain of boolits in short order.

Shiloh

glw
05-27-2013, 09:52 PM
One of the bad things about forums like this is that a lot of problems are discussed. It then appears that there are 10,000 reasons why it won't work, and only one elusive way to make it work properly. So far I have have been able to cast pretty good boolits, even being inexperienced at casting. Cast works well in handguns--I am hopeful that they will shoot well in my rifles, too. If I have any troubles doing so I know that I can ask the forum for good advice.

Glenn