PDA

View Full Version : Anyone seen this Wheel wieght before?

GlocksareGood
05-26-2013, 10:06 PM
Found two or three of these tonight. The two on the top are Zinc. Marked ZN, hard as a rock and react to HCL. The two on the bottom are harder than lead but not as hard as Zinc. They are light like Zinc but do not react to HCL. Could these be TIN wheel weights? Anyone seen these before?

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f52/GlocksareGood/UnknownWheelweightsjpg_zps1e6153f0.jpg

D Crockett
05-26-2013, 10:17 PM
I have seen both I always put the bottom ones in with my soft lead never hurt it any the top ones I just throw into a buckett and when I have enough I take them to the recyclers and trade for more ww D Crockett

geargnasher
05-26-2013, 10:49 PM
I've seen the zinc ones, but not the others. I'd love for someone to explain to me how the heck they mount those on a wheel.

Gear

D Crockett
05-26-2013, 10:58 PM
well in the middle of the ww there is a spring steel clip that ataches it to the rim of the tire it a 2 piece ww D Crockett

geargnasher
05-27-2013, 01:32 AM
Ah. I never noticed the clips when sorting, but I've seen very few of the weights, either.

Gear

Lefty SRH
05-27-2013, 08:33 AM
I've gotten some of those types and mine were lead and composite. I pitched the composite!

ubetcha
05-27-2013, 04:46 PM
Those are all zinc.See alot of them at work

375RUGER
05-28-2013, 08:37 AM
I've got a pile that are the same shape but are plastic. They came in a bucket of WW from the Mercedes dealer.

wrench man
05-28-2013, 11:53 PM
Seen lots of them, yes they are Kraut weights, my dad worked for the VW dealer here for years!, I recall that they had a very high pitched ring when dropped and were HARD, I assumed at the time they were ceramic of some sort??, but I bet they were Zn?
And yes they are held to the wheel with a clip.

GlocksareGood
05-29-2013, 06:57 AM
Seen lots of them, yes they are Kraut weights, my dad worked for the VW dealer here for years!, I recall that they had a very high pitched ring when dropped and were HARD, I assumed at the time they were ceramic of some sort??, but I bet they were Zn?
And yes they are held to the wheel with a clip.

The one that is cut did not respond to the HCL test so they are not zinc. They are also softer than zinc. With my pliers I can not cut the top two only slightly scratch them. As you can see I cut the bottom two with relative ease. I have also seen the polymer weights.

CountryBoy19
05-30-2013, 10:41 AM
The one that is cut did not respond to the HCL test so they are not zinc. They are also softer than zinc. With my pliers I can not cut the top two only slightly scratch them. As you can see I cut the bottom two with relative ease. I have also seen the polymer weights.
They may be tin... try a melt test if you really want to know...

For me I see them so rarely that I just throw them in with my COWW and melt them. If it's tin then I'll end up with a bit of tin in my ingots. At most we're talking about adding 1-2 oz per batch if you throw 1 or 2 weights in each batch... My smelt batches are 100 lbs so 1-2 oz even if it is tin, is pretty negligible.

AABEN
05-30-2013, 04:46 PM
Tin should melt at 450 lead at 621

GlocksareGood
05-30-2013, 06:58 PM
stay tunned folks and i will try to melt these and see. Messed up my hand today so may be a week or so. I have several of these to melt.

destrux
06-02-2013, 10:42 PM
I have always assumed these were lead. I never noticed them being harder than the lead clip ons. I always actually felt they were softer, more like the stick on lead weights.

Tin weights stick out like a sore thumb. They stay bright and shiny (if they're unpainted) and they're soft like lead. I've only found maybe two or three tin weights in a whole bucket of lead ones. They were the same shape as the cheapo lead clip ons.