PDA

View Full Version : NO chance to SHOOT because of school!

Jimmydaux
09-18-2007, 02:04 PM
Hey friends, Im starting to realize what all you guys go through with full time jobs and shooting/reloading deprivation. Ive been off to college for the last week and havent even had a chance to go shoot my new Sig p229, or to shoot my AR15. My reloading press is probably getting rusty just to spite me for not using it. =) Im gettin the hankerin to skip a day of school and go do some varmint hunting or something of the sort. Well sorry for the pointless rant. I guess i need to mini vent.

THanks guys

Jeremy

Ricochet
09-18-2007, 02:25 PM
Welcome to the real world. Sucks, doesn't it? :mrgreen:

fatnhappy
09-18-2007, 02:42 PM
Hit the books hard so you can afford all the toys you deserve.

:coffee:

9.3X62AL
09-18-2007, 02:51 PM
+1 to F&H's recommendation--and Ric is right, it does suck canal water.

Blammer
09-18-2007, 03:38 PM
take a Sat off and pop some varmints, it'll do wonders...

forget the study hard now, study just enough to get by and have fun the other times!

I'm glad I did it that way when I was in college.

bishopgrandpa
09-18-2007, 04:09 PM
Get the best education you can so you will be able to fight the anti's in the coming years. Better to complain about the lack of time to shoot instead of the lack of rights to shoot.

Bret4207
09-18-2007, 05:06 PM
What? Only college? No 8-12 hour a day job and then a farm and then the wife and kids and her family and school activities and everything that goes with it? Oh! And the house! I forgot the house that falls down around your ears as you struggle to make ends meet. You have NO idea what lies ahead my friend.

Do as the others suggest. And value every minute you have.

SharpsShooter
09-18-2007, 05:15 PM
What? Only college? No 8-12 hour a day job and then a farm and then the wife and kids and her family and school activities and everything that goes with it? Oh! And the house! I forgot the house that falls down around your ears as you struggle to make ends meet. You have NO idea what lies ahead my friend.

Do as the others suggest. And value every minute you have.

Geez Bret...you will have the kid popping Prozac if ya don't quit.:-D All true words though........:-?

SS

targetshootr
09-18-2007, 05:30 PM
I can't believe you're even in school when your eyes will never be as good for shooting as they are now. Give up the stupid school and do something worthwhiile! Kidding, partially.

:Fire:

Bret4207
09-18-2007, 06:31 PM
Geez Bret...you will have the kid popping Prozac if ya don't quit.:-D All true words though........:-?

SS

Yeah, that did sound a little rough. Sorry kid. See what you're gonna turn into? Before long you'll understand why your folks went to bed at 8:30PM and cringed every time you started a sentence with, "I need....". All part of growing up. Make the best of it.:drinks:

slughammer
09-18-2007, 07:15 PM
Best advice I can give is to work it like a job right now from the start of the semester. 8 hours a day, every day. OT as required. If there is not enough to do right now, find something to do. Get the momentum up and you won't have to catch up later in the semester.

kodiak1
09-18-2007, 07:31 PM
College still a real b**ch? You know all them good looking babes parties every weekend? Never skipped to go shootin and never bought a gun or even reloaded a whole bunch. Now that I am older and out of school for 35 years I shoot lots, load lots and buy guns. Don't get to look at the hot babes or party though so that is your trade off.
What is you are taking anyway? Hope you arn't going through to be some high priced mouth piece!!!!!! I hate all lawyers.
Ken.

sundog
09-18-2007, 07:49 PM
For me it was training, TDYs, and deployments. Uncle bought all my ammo and I got to shoot a lot, but it was HIS stuff, HIS way, when HE wanted. Got to do some neat stuff, though. I got to do a little (very little due to time) on my own.

Now it's MY stuff, MY way, when I want to. That means a lot, and everything I can lay my hands on.

Word of advice. Enjoy school while you're there. Get an edumacation. THEN, go make some bucks that will support your habit.

wiljen
09-18-2007, 08:02 PM
Just remember school prepares you for the real world, which also sucks.

scrapcan
09-18-2007, 08:06 PM
make some money while you are there. there will be lots of other college kids who will be selling grampas nice old gun because they spent all there parents money to party. many ofthe guns I have came through at that time. If you are lucky you can catch the tail that also likes to shoot and enjoy the outdoors. Doesn't hurt to drink a little beer now and then also.

If you work it right you might be able to get an independant study physical education class that is shooting related. I did that with handguns and trap shooting. I worked with the physical ed department and they let me do independant study if I recorded scores and submitted verification that I had shot. Worth a try. This was at Wyoming's only 4 year university, so if you are somewhere larger (anywhere that would be) you maybe out of luck.

Here is my advice for what little it may be worth. You either pay at the beginning or you pay at the end. It is your choice. But you can also work hard and have some fun while you are at it.

felix
09-18-2007, 08:28 PM
Hardest thing to do is to discover your talents. A talent is something that you can do with 20 percent effort as opposed to 100 percent for somebody else. Example, I pitched baseball for 21 years and had to work way to hard compared to others on my team for the same results. I was hardheaded and continued until way after it was time to quit. So, use your college to the hilt by taking courses until one specific topic rings a bell. If that means being undeclared as to major, so be it. Once your talent is found, then you will be graded as excellent and life will be enjoyable. You might even find that you really hate guns after all. You might even find that you love bad mitten (or whatever that is) instead. Use your daily prayers to the Boss asking for wisdom to hone in on the talent given to you. ... felix

rhead
09-18-2007, 09:53 PM
Two thing to rember.
One. You will never have another chance at an education like the one you have now , so take your class work seriously.

Two. You will never be young again. Get in some serious playing to.

armoredman
09-19-2007, 10:40 AM
And start saving for your retirement NOW. Seriously.

Jimmydaux
09-19-2007, 12:41 PM
WOw good advice friends! Im not gonna start taking prozac now so dont worry. Im loving being in school. I love to learn. Its always been fascinating to me. I guess I used to read the encyclopedias for fun when I was 11 or 12. Im making the best of my experience. Im enrolled full time in Utah State University's Business Entrepreneurship program. Im hopefully going to continue on and Get my MBA with an ephasis in marketing.

Im trying to find a good balance of school and play. Sadly, school work gets in the way a lot. I get some good play hours in though at night. And whoever said it was right, im gonna take advantage of having good looking girls around me for as long as I can. =) As for a beer,,,, thats not really for me, im one of those trying to be a good mormon types.

Good news though, ive got a rabbit hunting excursion planned for this saturday, so hopefully that will relieve some of the study blues.

This thread has proven to be quite enjoyable, thanks guys

Jeremy

Wayne Smith
09-19-2007, 01:26 PM
The first semester of your freshman year is usually your hardest. It's when you are learning to manage your own time, to adjust to living out of the house, dealing with a roommate who wants to be up and playing @2:30 AM or the opposite, wants to be in bed by 10:00PM, and learning to deal with handling your money appropriately and all the other things that are new, or at least practically new to you. Take your time, make the adjustments this semester, do good with your classes. The rest of the next 6 years will be easier and you will have more time to enjoy and have fun. This semester focus on the books and classes. Learn the necessary disciplines that are not currently present.

Yes, I have my Doctorate, PsyD. Licensed Clinical Psychologist

Jimmydaux
09-20-2007, 02:31 AM
Im deffinately no stranger to the college ways. Im a Junior so its not a high school to college transition by any means. Ive pretty well settled into the school ways by this point. =)

Wayne Smith
09-20-2007, 07:30 AM
Thanks for the clarification. Welcome to the crowd - as you might have noticed, we have a lot of very well educated people on the board, formal and self educated. I've gained a new awareness of my limitations by reading here!

Bret4207
09-20-2007, 07:48 AM
Thanks for the clarification. Welcome to the crowd - as you might have noticed, we have a lot of very well educated people on the board, formal and self educated. I've gained a new awareness of my limitations by reading here!

Coming from a guy with Waynes edukayshun I only feel mildly retarded now....[smilie=1:

jonk
09-20-2007, 08:52 AM
I feel your pain. I started reloading in 99 when I was a sophomore in college and my collection was already appreciable at that point- military rifles mainly. I just graduated in May of 06 with my MA, so it was an 8 year haul (I did take one year off inbetween degrees) and now I can't shoot much b/c of work. Go figure.