PDA

View Full Version : BP loads in a Open Top

DCP
05-26-2013, 06:29 PM
I would like to try some BP loads in a Open Top.
I have a lot of smokeless bullets already lubed is the reason I am asking.

So can one take a smokeless pre lube boolit, or one with Lee Alox or a un lubed boolit? Loaded it in the case, then put Crisco or some other BP lube? Like a Cap and Ball and it will work ok?

Dan Cash
05-26-2013, 08:13 PM
Not especially well. Your gun will foul out quickly and lead up. Try pan lubing some unsized bullets with a simple BP lube. You will be pleasesd.

Springfield
05-26-2013, 09:00 PM
You might be OK for a couple of cylinders full with an unlubed bullet, no different from what I do with my C&B. With most smokeless lubes you get terrible carbon fouling which causes the lead fouling. Be better if it was a softer alloy. You don't say what caliber but I'd be glad to send you a few 38 or 45 BP bullets to try if you cover shipping. I love my 44-40 and 45 Opentops. Take a look at www.whyteleatherworks.com and click on the Big Lube tab to see pics of the bullets.

DCP
05-27-2013, 08:10 AM
You might be OK for a couple of cylinders full with an unlubed bullet, no different from what I do with my C&B. With most smokeless lubes you get terrible carbon fouling which causes the lead fouling. Be better if it was a softer alloy. You don't say what caliber but I'd be glad to send you a few 38 or 45 BP bullets to try if you cover shipping. I love my 44-40 and 45 Opentops. Take a look at www.whyteleatherworks.com and click on the Big Lube tab to see pics of the bullets.

Its a 38 spl and thanks for the offer Pm will be sent

Mike Brooks
05-28-2013, 08:28 AM

So can one take a smokeless pre lube boolit, or one with Lee Alox or a un lubed boolit? Loaded it in the case, then put Crisco or some other BP lube? Like a Cap and Ball and it will work ok?

Your smokeless bullets will do fine with lube smeared over the cylinder. I have shot many CAS matches that way with no leading after a full day.

Mike Brooks
05-28-2013, 08:30 AM

Your smokeless bullets will do fine with lube smeared over the cylinder. I have shot many CAS matches that way with no leading after a full day.

Grapeshot
05-28-2013, 10:43 PM
I agree with Mike. Crisco or Bore Butter smeared over the boolits in the cylinder will do just fine. Before I got my Big Lube Boolits or my own cast and lubed with BP Lubricant that's what I would do and I never had any problems. I did keep a rag handy to wipe off the cylinder and my hands between stages.