PDA

View Full Version : I Think I'm Going to Cry

KCSO
09-18-2007, 12:01 PM
Hhad a friend walk in to the shop this weekend with a nice looking 1917 under his arm. The gun on the outside was say about 80% wand was marked Winchester 6-18. The stock was not dinged and dented and it was marked OGEK inspector mark. He picked it up for $300 bucks. I was salivating till he showed me the problem. It had been shot with corrosive and had never been cleaned. Bore was totaled-shot! What a waste.

Bret4207
09-18-2007, 01:10 PM
375-06 or 400 Whelen rebore?

oksmle
09-18-2007, 02:51 PM
KSCO .... I'd resleeve it with a 1 in 12" twist tube insert, not say anything about it & then clean Sundog's clock with cast boolits in our State Military Shoot-Off.... oksmle

BruceB
09-18-2007, 03:51 PM
I know that feeling.

Walked into Klondike Arms in Edmonton, Alberta many years ago, and found a PRISTINE, as in, almost factory-new, Krag long rifle. The price was affordable, so I removed the bolt for a squint down the bore. It was coal-black, and I swear there were CHUNKS of rust and crap hanging off the interior. A look into the muzzle at the bore walls showed deep pitting overall.

What a waste. I could hardly believe it.

Phil
09-18-2007, 09:34 PM
One of these days when the money and rifle are both in the same location, I'm going to own another Winchester M1917. I've had a like new Win 8-19 barrel since the fifties, got it at a gun show for $5.00! Still waiting on a rifle with screwed up bore and I ain't getting any younger. (:>)

Cheers,

Phil

Frank46
09-19-2007, 01:40 AM
Bruce, don't feel bad. I was in abuddys gun shop some years ago and he had two
krag long rifles. They looked to have been reblued and were in very nice shape on the outside. I opened the bolts on both and they were as dark as a pennsylvania coal mine. I was told that they had come from either an american legion post or something similar. Guess the years of shooting blanks took their toll. But someone bought them as they were never seen again. Frank

Bigjohn
09-19-2007, 03:20 AM
I think most of us have experienced this malay at one time or another. The local dealer whom I check in with now and again; had 3 LITHGOW SMLE No.1 MkIII* rifles on the rack one day.

Externally, everyone one of them looked as if they were well looked after until you removed the bolts and checked the barrels. Not one of the would have enough rifling left to stabilize a 'J' word bullet.

I left them there as I have no more barrels which will fit them. Pity!

John.

eka
09-19-2007, 12:25 PM
It is amazing how an old rifle can be so well cared for on the outside for so many years and totally wrecked on the inside. Just doesn't make any since to me.

Keith