PDA

View Full Version : Interest in a REVISED Cast Boolits Ingot Mold?

Bigslug
05-26-2013, 02:01 PM
I've seen a few pics of the "Official" Cast Boolits ingot mold on the forum, and I like the idea. What I don't like is that it's big on logo and small on data. I'd like to see the logo shrunk down and most of the ingot face taken up with data blocks giving hardness and general type. Something like this:

__________CAST BOOLITS__TIN
5-6(pb)______23(stereo)___ 8(40-1)
8-10(rs)______26(mono)____9(30-1)
11-14(ww)____30(fndry)____10(20-1)
15-16(#2/hb)__36(sh)______11(16-1)
19(lino)_______OTHER______12(10-1)

This would cover all our usual metal types and hardness ranges, give us a block for labeling ingots of pure tin, cover the common ratios of binary tin/lead alloys for the old school traditionalists with their Civil War hardware and buffalo rifles, and give us the necessary "OTHER" block for stuff that doesn't quite fit.

This is just my basic concept generated after spending a few minutes with our hardness calculator sticky thread. I'm not sure how necessary the sterotype, monotype, and foundrytype blocks would be (not very common, as far as I know). For that matter, I doubt Super Hard would often be melted down into small ingots without being diluted with something else. So possibly something more like this:

CASTBOOLITS.GUNLOADS.COM
5-6(pb)_______8(40-1)___TIN
8-10(rs)_______9(30-1)___OTHER
11-14(ww)____10(20-1)
15-16(#2/hb)__11(16-1)
19(lino)_______12(10-1)

Which would give us a whole corner for labeling stuff that's not easily pigeonholed.

I would also like to see all these markings recessed instead of raised, as this would cause less interference with hardness testing

I expect everyone has their own input on what would be the most useful format, and of course we need to see if anyone's willing to make them, so please, chime in with your thoughts.:drinks:

(Now hopefully all those tables line up properly when I hit "post":???:) EDIT - of course they don't[smilie=b:

Bigslug
05-27-2013, 12:08 AM
Sorry. . .that needed an edit. Hopefully the concept makes more sense now.

evan price
05-27-2013, 06:28 AM
Maybe just a large logo, and
SOFT MEDIUM HARD

Drop test tells me if it is dead pure, I find the hardest is to tell apart COWW or range scrap or Xray lead. Stuff that's neither hard or soft.

Griz44mag
05-27-2013, 10:54 PM
I would like a few of the cast boolits molds. Are they available now in any form?
What weight do they drop?

Glock Junkie
05-27-2013, 10:58 PM
Trying to get a new Cast Boolits Mold going on this thread. Don't know how far its going to go but its worth putting your opinion in. I hope it gets made. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=182997