PDA

View Full Version : Lee RB mold

izzyjoe
05-26-2013, 12:56 PM
At christmas i bought a .530 Rb mold, and just now got around to casting some RB's with. I was using PL with a little tin to help fill out, i had the heat turned up, cause that seem's to work for RB's. but this new mold has an offset at the casting seam at the bottom, it goes about 1/4 of the way around the ball. my first thought was that the block were not lined up right, but if was the case the whole ball would be offset. will cause a problem, or should i send it in for warranty? also the balls are droping out at .527-.528. i was thinking about lapping it out, but i don't know if a RB mold can be done that way. i had a Lee .490 mold that did the same thing, but i sold it.

DLCTEX
05-26-2013, 08:53 PM
It sounds as if something is keeping the mould from closing all the way. Check closely for a fleck of lead or a burr. Hold the closed mould up to light and see if there is a gap. Tin should not be necessary in a RB mould. If it is casting undersize now then if it closes more it will be smaller still. I'd call Lee and discuss it with their tech.

izzyjoe
05-27-2013, 03:15 PM
it's closing all the way, i've cleaned it twice now. i cast about fifty balls with it, and used flitz to lap it lightly. the seam is still there, but not as bad. i think i'll lap it some more, and live with it.

izzyjoe
05-27-2013, 08:18 PM
i went out to the shop, and lapped it out some more with 600 grit compound, and then flitz. it no longer has the offset, and they drop out at .531. so i cast about 200 of them, that should do me for awhile.