PDA

View Full Version : Scrap yard blues!

izzyjoe
05-26-2013, 11:05 AM
Well, i was cleaning up around the shop the other day, and i found a 5 gal. bucket half full of zinc WW that i had forgot about. so i dicided to take them to the recycler, the bucket weighed 73lbs. i had some other stuff to take as well, but that bucket ony brought $3.65! .05 cents a pound. Man, if i'd known that i would have kept them, but they were'nt doing me no good. Live, and learn. there's another place in town that i buy scrap lead from, but these guy's won't sell nothing.

kbstenberg
05-26-2013, 11:09 AM
Izzy some guy's here are looking for Zinkers

Beagle333
05-26-2013, 11:19 AM
ShadyGrady will trade you a pound of lead for a pound of zinc. I think he wants 45 pounds, minimum or something like that. It sounds like a great way to get rid of your zinc!

shadygrady
05-26-2013, 11:20 AM
what a waste you could have had 73 lbs in lead send me your zinc

coblake
05-26-2013, 11:22 AM
You needed shadygrady...

izzyjoe
05-26-2013, 11:25 AM
Well, i feel dumb, but the good new's is i've got more.

GlocksareGood
05-26-2013, 12:05 PM
Shady, are you particularly stuck on zinc wheel weights? Local scrap yard here is full of zinc anodes taken off crab pots.

shadygrady
05-26-2013, 05:58 PM
any zinc/ ww/ anodes /electic conduit parts/electronic contectors/toys/handles/fauset sink parts/kirsite/zam#1-8/ any that will melt 750-900f need 40 lb++++ medium flat rate box reinforced taped on all sides to be worth while for even lead ww ingot trade send to grady mitchell po box 62 cookeville tennessee 38503-0062 with a return address an note of the amount

GlocksareGood
05-26-2013, 08:15 PM
So what are you sending Grady? COWW or SOWW? I will be at the scrap yard one day this week. Will pick up a bucket of crab pot anodes and see if you like those. The have a steel wire running down the middle so the fishermen can attach them to the pots but that should not be a big deal.

shadygrady
05-27-2013, 11:14 AM
15-20 yr old wheel weights ingots all were clip on battery ends /soft stick ons/ were melted for soft lead/ all others were hard lead an made into ww ingots from lee/rcbs/saeco ingot molds any zinc can be contam but will not make any difference with steel in or on them just the melt weight total

lka
05-27-2013, 11:22 AM
what a waste you could have had 73 lbs in lead send me your zinc

Pound for pound huh?

What is the weight limit for flat rate USPS boxes? Want to trade box maxed for box maxed?

I know I'm new here but have made a few good trades on other forums this year, I can PM links if needed. Please PM me if interested,,,,

shadygrady
05-27-2013, 04:24 PM
ika the address is above send on

Pmc
05-27-2013, 05:54 PM
grady is good to go. Sent him a box of zincs and a few days later received back a box of ingots.

Vinne
05-27-2013, 07:10 PM
I traded with Grady and he is great to deal with. You get a good batch of lead for your worthless zinc. Can't go wrong with a trade like that. We each get something we can use!!

MTtimberline
05-27-2013, 10:31 PM
I'm starting to see more and more zinc. Most of it is larger weights that look to be for truck wheels. When I get a fair amount, I will have to see in you are interested shady,

GOPHER SLAYER
05-28-2013, 03:27 PM
I no longer pick up wheel weights. Ca. outlawed lead ww years ago. You can tell by their shine that they are made zinc and I have no room to store them anyway so why bother? I should also point out that I have more lead than I will ever use.

lka
05-28-2013, 04:06 PM
ika the address is above send on

Cool, I see it, I'll get you a shipment out this week, you can just use my return address on the box ;)

shadygrady
05-29-2013, 11:05 AM
zinc lead trades send to grady mitchell po box 62 cookeville tennessee 38503-0062 send in med flat rate box reinforced an taped all around all sides with return address an the amount of zinc 40 lbs ++++ in the box

Baron von Trollwhack
05-29-2013, 11:37 AM
Well, i was cleaning up around the shop the other day, and i found a 5 gal. bucket half full of zinc WW that i had forgot about. so i dicided to take them to the recycler, the bucket weighed 73lbs. i had some other stuff to take as well, but that bucket ony brought $3.65! .05 cents a pound. Man, if i'd known that i would have kept them, but they were'nt doing me no good. Live, and learn. there's another place in town that i buy scrap lead from, but these guy's won't sell nothing.

Is this for real? You sell without asking what the yard will give? Are you OK?

BvT

lka
05-30-2013, 06:38 PM
zinc lead trades send to grady mitchell po box 62 cookeville tennessee 38503-0062 send in med flat rate box reinforced an taped all around all sides with return address an the amount of zinc 40 lbs ++++ in the box

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/05/31/a5e2utas.jpg

Ok,

That was a pain in the ***, I Separated the zinc from the Fe and this is what I have about 38lbs, please re weigh my scale only goes to 10lbs and not the best one sold so,,, I don't want to short you ;) I'm going to reinforce and get out tomorrow, please let me know when you receive so I know......
Thanks!
Lka

Lizard333
05-30-2013, 07:29 PM
Pound for pound huh?

What is the weight limit for flat rate USPS boxes? Want to trade box maxed for box maxed?

I know I'm new here but have made a few good trades on other forums this year, I can PM links if needed. Please PM me if interested,,,,

70 pounds. If it fits, it ships.

Larry D.
06-01-2013, 07:14 PM
Now I hear about Grady!?

I've been throwing them out with the steelies!

I'll start saving them for Grady-trades.

lka
06-03-2013, 04:25 PM
any zinc/ ww/ anodes /electic conduit parts/electronic contectors/toys/handles/fauset sink parts/kirsite/zam#1-8/ any that will melt 750-900f need 40 lb++++ medium flat rate box reinforced taped on all sides to be worth while for even lead ww ingot trade send to grady mitchell po box 62 cookeville tennessee 38503-0062 with a return address an note of the amount

Sent, I'll PM ya the tracking info

Shedhunter
06-03-2013, 10:05 PM
I have just over 16 pounds on zinc, will have to keep saving them.

GlocksareGood
06-12-2013, 10:43 PM
No large boxes of Zinc from me Shady. Went to the yard today and they wanted
$0.52/lb for zinc. No thanks. Wheel weights are only $0.35/lb. I bought 300lbs of those today though. 1/2 COWW - 1/2 SOWW.

shadygrady
06-13-2013, 11:22 AM
glocksaregood i did not say go buy zinc i said if you buy your metal or have zinc an you get zinc in with it to send it to me for lead most every body here buys there ww an it has zinc in it that or you are the first with a scrap yard that has theres seperated so if you get zinc an want lead send on

GlocksareGood
06-13-2013, 06:15 PM
Yeah I figured it might be cheap since they said they really did not have a market for it. Not too much Zn wws here. Maybe 15 lbs in the last 650lbs I have sorted. I will still hold them for that 40lbs though.

Lloyd Smale
06-14-2013, 06:34 AM
sounds like our local scrap yard. Bring him in lead and he wants to pay 5 cents a lb but by it from him and he wants a buck a lb.

357maximum
06-15-2013, 12:22 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/05/31/a5e2utas.jpg

Ok,

That was a pain in the ***, I Separated the zinc from the Fe and this is what I have about 38lbs, please re weigh my scale only goes to 10lbs and not the best one sold so,,, I don't want to short you ;) I'm going to reinforce and get out tomorrow, please let me know when you receive so I know......
Thanks!
Lka

That's more zinc ww than I have seen in my life, course I quit actively seeking ww a few years ago when zincers were just beginning to show up from the kraut cars and such. I will be lucky if I live long enough to use what ww I have as it is. Good service Grady is serving for those who have such evil boxes of such things....good on him. :lol:

OnceFired
06-15-2013, 01:08 AM
ShadyGrady

What do you use the Zinc for? How much do you want/need? I imagine everyone here will start sending it to you until you are buried in Zn! :grin:

ZAG

nightal
06-15-2013, 01:37 AM
I sent Grady, a med flat rate box of zink, on Mon. he got it Wed. sent me the tracking # for the lead he sent me back on Fri. I should get it Mon.
Med.Flat Rate cost me $12.54 from Kc Mo.I think you could get, about 45lbs. in the flat rate box, I put cardboard on the bottom,corners, top, inside for more reinforcement, of the box, lots of tape also....

lka
06-15-2013, 09:41 AM
I sent Grady, a med flat rate box of zink, on Mon. he got it Wed. sent me the tracking # for the lead he sent me back on Fri. I should get it Mon.
Med.Flat Rate cost me $12.54 from Kc Mo.I think you could get, about 45lbs. in the flat rate box, I put cardboard on the bottom,corners, top, inside for more reinforcement, of the box, lots of tape also....

I did the same, got my lead from Grady, all is good;)

shadygrady
06-15-2013, 10:41 AM
zombie needs to be 40 lbs ++++ in the med flat rate box reinforced an taped all around on all sides send to grady mitchell po box 62 cookeville tennessee 38503-0062 e mail or send the amount with return address i use it the same every one else does with lead pour bigger bullets cannon

a.squibload
06-16-2013, 06:13 AM
Don't mean to cut into Shady's goodies but if you keep one or two
zincers you can use 'em for cathodic protection. I welded one to the
bottom of the pipe on my homemade mailbox stand (weld clip to pipe),
should last almost forever. Wire-brushed the coating off for good contact
with the dirt.
If I ever accumulate 40 lbs again they're yours Shadygrady!

fryboy
06-16-2013, 08:12 AM
scrap yards buy cheap and sell high ( that's how they make their money ) having stated that zinc prices actually arent far from lead prices and for the last coupla years they run real close ( no matter what the scrap yards pay )

grady ... i havent found but two or three zinkers but i do happen upon a bunch of other zinc ,with your above comments i'll save it for you ( it'll still be a bit before i get 40 + pounds tho lolz )

dsbock
06-16-2013, 01:32 PM
Grady,

I just finished sorting through a couple of buckets of wheel weights. Zinc came to a total of 61.4 lb. Is it OK if I send it in two 30+ lb boxes?

Is anyone interested in the steel wheel weights? The same batch netted 33.8 lb of those.

On the plus side, there was 93.2 lb of lead wheel weights in this batch. Not bad considering New York outlawed lead wheel weights in April 2011.

Thanks.

David

GlocksareGood
06-16-2013, 03:51 PM
Wow. I hope you go those two buckets for free. I get upset if I have 10lbs of steel and zinc in a full 5 gallon bucket. I have probably sorted thru just over 1000lbs so far this year and I just measured 15.2lbs of Zinc from it all. Probably have 60lbs or so of steel.

Grady,

I just finished sorting through a couple of buckets of wheel weights. Zinc came to a total of 61.4 lb. Is it OK if I send it in two 30+ lb boxes?

Is anyone interested in the steel wheel weights? The same batch netted 33.8 lb of those.

On the plus side, there was 93.2 lb of lead wheel weights in this batch. Not bad considering New York outlawed lead wheel weights in April 2011.

Thanks.

David

dsbock
06-16-2013, 09:31 PM
Wow. I hope you go those two buckets for free. I get upset if I have 10lbs of steel and zinc in a full 5 gallon bucket. I have probably sorted thru just over 1000lbs so far this year and I just measured 15.2lbs of Zinc from it all. Probably have 60lbs or so of steel.

I'm happy to say, I did get those buckets for free. I have a deal with an auto mechanic in town.

Since lead wheel weights have been illegal in New York for over two years, a 50% ratio of lead isn't that bad.

David

GlocksareGood
06-16-2013, 11:01 PM
Can't beat free for sure no matter the ratio! Hope you are stocking up. I am afraid it will not be too long before the entire country goes lead free.

I'm happy to say, I did get those buckets for free. I have a deal with an auto mechanic in town.

Since lead wheel weights have been illegal in New York for over two years, a 50% ratio of lead isn't that bad.

David

82ndMedic
06-16-2013, 11:21 PM
Dang, Im gonnna have to go sort all my steel and zinc "trash" i threw out now. But for a pound for pound deal im more than happy to do it! Thanks shady!

shadygrady
06-17-2013, 11:01 AM
i got tons of lead ww ingots hard type for all that zinc out there needs to be 40 lb++ in a medium flat rate box send to grady mitchell po box 62 cookeville tennessee 38503-0062 pm me with your amount an return address then ship then i will ship you the lead ww clip on hard type i do not need lead its to heavy for cannon projs zinc is just right any zinc alloy ok to as long as it melts under 850 degrees f

lka
01-12-2014, 12:21 PM
Hey, I should be getting another tote of WWs still interested in trading? We've done this in the past..