PDA

View Full Version : New to me auto-5

repawn
05-26-2013, 10:29 AM
So just picked up a well used - one-owner browning auto-5. The original owner has carried it as an all-around gun on his farm since 1954.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/05/26/ava3udu8.jpg
The barrell indicates it has a full fixed choke - is there a good way to determine what size the choke really is? Can you slug the bore of a shotgun? What would you use?
I am taking it out with some factory loads to test it - but will want shoot cast round ball out of it as well as bird and buck shot.
Last question - the barrel is old enough that it is not recommended to shoot steel through it - what alternative to lead have you used for waterfowl hunting?
Thanks!

Vinne
05-26-2013, 11:07 AM
Fine catch Repawn. Looks to be in great shape. Let us know how it shoots but whatever you do NO SLUGS!!! Maybe a second barrel can be found for hunting.

izzyjoe
05-26-2013, 01:34 PM
Very nice A-5, i love those, and the Rem 11's. don't shoot steel though it though, that's hard on those older barrels. it will do good with bird n buckshot. for deer mine shoots #1 buck very good, better than 00 buck. you just have to try it and see what works best. i worked with an older fellow years ago, he had a light 12 30" full that he used for everything. he claimed to kill deer at 75yds. and he may have, but now that i'm older i know that it must have been pure luck to kill one at that range. i still think those are the greatest shotguns ever made!

repawn
05-26-2013, 05:57 PM
No steel - and probably no slugs. Just got back from testing it out - probably ran 50 or so rounds - all a mix of target, buckshot, and field loads. I had the recoil system set for heavy and it cycled everything just fine. All the same, I am waiting for a new recoil spring, and the brass ring.
I decided to pattern it as well at 40 yards. Pretty happy with the results - a 9 pellet #00 and winchester AA super sport 7 1/2. Think it is pretty decent:
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/05/27/uharehyb.jpg

kens
05-26-2013, 06:03 PM
To the best of my memory, Browning used a star system to indicate the choke.
Something like ** was modified and; *** was full choke. Something like that. You may want to reasearch that to verify.

repawn
05-26-2013, 06:18 PM
Yep 1 stars - mine has one which indicates full. After shooting it I feel that is correct - seems like tight groups and it is pretty accurate. Despite all I read and heard on the Internet I would say it doesn't kick all that much. Comfortable to shoot and super fun.

Hogtamer
05-26-2013, 06:58 PM
I don't know what in the heck folks are talking about no slugs through that browning. And you won't find one gun in twenty that will pattern OOs better than that picture. I've been shooting them for 45 years and when all the binellis wear out that a-5 will still be shooting. Any mechanic with a sliding caliper can measure the I.d. Of your bore and use slugs and roundballs of appropriate diameter.

izzyjoe
05-26-2013, 07:20 PM
i learned from a guy, that the muzzle size don't alway's tell the tale. it's best to measure the bore size, and subtract the muzzle size and that gives you the constriction. .729 is the most common bore size, i've seen a few browning's a little smaller than that. that is a good pattern, does it shoot close to point of aim?

repawn
05-26-2013, 09:15 PM
Thanks all for the feedback - I would like to cast rb for it and maybe even slugs. Would my digital calipers work for measuring the inside diameter? Where would I measure - at the muzzle? I am pretty sure I couldn't measure the bore with the calipers because of space issues.

It does shoot where I point it. It is very accurate - the patterning I posted above were the first 2 shots I took with the gun - 40 yards and pretty much were I was aiming. The target is 2x2.5 feet.

Hogtamer
05-26-2013, 09:46 PM
Btw, you're not gonna wear out recoil spring or brass ring this century. And a moderate amount of steel ain't hurtin things either. The ejector is something that may require attention at some point, but relatively cheap.

repawn
05-26-2013, 09:56 PM
Btw, you're not gonna wear out recoil spring or brass ring this century. And a moderate amount of steel ain't hurtin things either. The ejector is something that may require attention at some point, but relatively cheap.

Thanks for that - I ordered them more as a just in case. It was a very very dirty gun when I picked it up - the farmer who owned it loved it and took it everywhere. There was so much thick junk, carbon, grease, hay etc. in it that I tore it completely down and cleaned everything - there is some surface rust I am working on - but no pitting. It has been used a lot so I picked up the spare recoil spring before firing - it does seem to work just fine. I will probably order a spare ejector as well. Since I like casting it is unlikely I will shoot steel - but I may need to find an alternative for duck hunting.

mtgrs737
05-27-2013, 01:49 AM
If you want to shoot steel get a barrel made in Japan, they are rated for steel. You have one of the best made, most reliable, and fun to shoot shotguns ever made IMHO. I love those A5's, I too replace the recoil springs and sometimes the bronze friction ring on them when I get them. Most will cycle with light field loads when set for heavy loads if you lightly oil the magazine tube so the bronze friction ring will slide easier. If you ever shoot maximum heavy loads wipe the oil from the magazine tube and it will be easier on the shotgun. I picked up a similar looking A5 a year or so ago a Grandpa's Guns in Madison, I really like those A5's !

koehlerrk
05-27-2013, 09:50 AM
I was given a Savage 720, built to the same prints as the A5. Mine dates to somewhere between 1930 (when Savage started building them) and 1935 (when they went from a mechanical-reset firing pin to a spring-reset). Had to replace the spings and friction pieces on mine, but other than that, it just keeps going and going and going....

Great old guns, and just one more reminder to us all that John Browning was a genius. Take care of it, and it will take care of you.

Idz
05-27-2013, 06:22 PM
Here is a choke size table from Colonial Arms

Slugs used to be designed to fit the tightest choke and lots of folks used the A5 as their deer gun. You can build your own sabot slugs using a mold from LEE Precision which work great in my Browning A5 full choke shotgun from Belgium ca 1930
Steel shot is awful tough on the old full choke guns so best to stay away from it. Your only option for waterfowl is the bismuth shotshells which are real pricey.

repawn
05-28-2013, 12:59 AM
So the Lee 1oz slug would work possibly? Once I know the choke soze i could also load rb as well. Any thoughts on how to measure the diameter of the bore and the muzzle? The chart is great and I know I am supposed to have a full choke - but I would like to be sure.
Shot it again today - it cycled everything I put in it - accurate and fun - I really like the auto chambering of the first round. Can hardly believe it is just shy of 60 years old the trigger is pretty great as well

Idz
05-28-2013, 11:44 AM
I use the Lee 1 oz in my 12 ga A5. I re-purpose WalMart 1 1/8 oz target loads. I cut a 5/8" x 1/16" disc from old stryofoam takeout boxes and place a disc above and below the slug to get the right length to get a good crimp. I was amazed that I could hit a 10" target from 25 yards with this load. With me accuracy is more of a shooter issue than ammo.

kens
05-30-2013, 09:10 AM
One of the slickest guns I ever saw a a Gunsmith's storekeeper gun (undercounted gun). He had a old A5 20g a that he sawed the barrel down to min length, removed the bolt charge handle, and shortened the stock. Because the A5 20g a was such a narrow and light receiver, it was a small diminutive little defense gun. You could charge it by grabbing the barrel & stock to jack the action, or, you could leave the action open with the magazine cutoff set.
Release the mag cutoff and 'kachunk' she was ready for action.
Sweetest defense thing I ever saw.

w5pv
05-30-2013, 09:54 AM
In the older days we would drop a dime through the barrel to see if it was a full choke or not.The dime would lodge about an inch from the end of the barrel if it was full choke.I don't have a Browning but do have a Fox that is a double side by side that has had no telling how many slugs and buck shot have gone through it without any ill effects on the barrels,kindley hard on the shoulder.I have always said that it would get meat on both ends of the gun

repawn
05-30-2013, 11:54 AM
Thanks for all the tips and user experiences. I ordered the lee 1oz slug mold - figure it will be fun to cast and if they won't work in the browning my brother in law can run then through is mossberg 500