PDA

View Full Version : Is pan lubing 22 cal a pain

elginrunner
05-26-2013, 10:15 AM
in the backside as I think they are going to be?? Anyone else do this? I just got a 70 grain NOE 5 cavity, and boy oh boy is it an experience!! I still not having a high sucess rate, but have several hundred nice ones.

fcvan
05-26-2013, 10:58 AM
Try putting your boolits in an empty primer tray, that will hold them upright until the lubecools. Heck, you might be able to dip them in and pull the whole try out. I'm sure there would be plenty of lube on the little grooves. You could modify a .243 casing into a lube cutter. Personally, I use a Lyman 450 for lube/sizing or a Lee push through die for sizing powder cited .22 caliber boolits.

357maximum
05-26-2013, 11:24 AM
Personally I HATE casting/checking/lubing 22/24 cal boolits......kinda like putting a tiny little condom on a TIC-TAC. My hands were created with sausages instead of fingers and I am almost to the point of self imposing a 7mm and bigger only rule upon myself just to maintain the FUN FACTOR. I have a STAR and them itty bitty boolits are still a royal PIA for my stubby mitts. Tempo in casting can get accurate boolits but somehow the FUN is just not there for me with the itty bitties. Sometimes a 1,000 BULK BULLET redskin purchase is the RIGHT answer in order to maintain the FUN of casting......for me anyway. I much prefer casting the bigger cals....the lil cals....not so much. This is supposed to be fun right?

elginrunner
05-26-2013, 12:57 PM
My biggest problem with pan lubing is that my large caliber boolits act as a heat sink and my lube starts to solidify before the appropriate level is achieved. So I thought I'd scale down my pans with the 22's, as they are really easy to knock over and cause me to say bad things.... This is my results.

I used a set of hemostats to stand the little boogers up. Not a blazing speed record by any means, but it worked well.

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-26-2013, 02:30 PM
Try dip lubing...I do that with a unique caliber where I do very small batches.

Idz
05-26-2013, 03:32 PM
A little trick I use is the insert from a 22 LR ammo box. Space it above the bottom of your lube pan, drop in the bullets, fill the pan to lube depth, let harden, lift off the insert, and cut out the lubed bullets. You may have to drop a bullet in every other hole depending upon the insert, lube type, and lube cutter.

6.5 mike
05-26-2013, 03:58 PM
I use an old 220 swift case for a cutter, opened it up a bit over a drill bit shank, & the little one loaf bread pans. SWMBO asked if I could use them, also work well for 6m/m. Drilled out the primer pocket for a dowel to push them out. The 22 insert trick does work, I put a piece of tape on one side, set the 22 boolits in nose down, then set the pan on it & turned the whole thing right side up. Then poured in enough lube to hold them in place, after it set took the tray off & brought the level up where I wanted it. If you think this is fun, try finding something to hold them while they dry after pp'ing.

dkf
05-30-2013, 09:04 PM
How would the Lee liquid Alox work? Easier to apply that.