PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 358101 shooting

koehlerrk
05-26-2013, 08:28 AM
Some of you might remember a couple months ago when I snagged a like-new Lyman 358101 mold.

Well, as it happens, I'm dang glad I got it. A very good friend of my wifes' just got herself a handgun, a Smith 637. Now, Robin is... petite. 5'-2 and 110lbs in her hiking boots. She also was in a nasty car wreck a few years back and really messed up her arm, loads of nerve damage, so she's somewhat recoil sensitive. Don't get me wrong, she can handle the bigger stuff, but after 5 or 10 rounds, her arm is numb.

So, when she told me she'd gotten a 38 wheelgun, I knew I had just the mold for her. Cast up about 500 of these, then loaded some over a few grains of Clays. Yesterday we met up at the range for a shooting session... Long story short, she loves that boolit! She can put a full cylinder, 5 rounds, into a 4 inch group at 10 yards, but she can keep shooting it over and over with no numbness! I gave her hubby the rest of the ones I had cast and my load data, and he's promised her that he will keep her in ammo.

Shot some other things yesterday, and we all had a great time, which, really, is the point.

Ben
05-26-2013, 08:39 AM
What a nice thing to do for a friend.

We need more of this kind of thing !

Ben

koehlerrk
05-26-2013, 09:00 AM
Awww, heck, Ben, it's nothing most of the crew here at CB wouldn't have done for her. The idea is to give her something she can practice with without getting the nerves in her arms jangled. For protection she's got some Gold-Dots, and she can fire those just fine, but one or two cylinders of those is all she can handle without going numb. But... for personal protection, 5-10 rounds is enough.

9.3X62AL
05-26-2013, 02:02 PM
Nicely done, sir! I have a copy of this mould, and most of my work with it so far was intended to mess with Buckshot's mind a little--him being so proud of his Model 14 S&W. I thought that 12 holes downrange after 6 shots would be just the thing to slow his roll a bit. I decided against it, he's too nice a guy to pull something that rotten upon.

Loaded in doubled-up fashion in 38 Special cases with 3.0 grains of WW-231, they hit fairly close to one another to about 10 yards. They widen markedly at 15 yards, and by 20 yards they are hitting edge-first or canted as often as not. Not a field round, in other words. But their utility as self-defense loads inside a residence is obvious. I have yet to try 3 boolits in a 357 case, but I'll get around2it eventually. Nor have I tried 1 boolit solo, to see if launching them one at a time results in further accuracy.

lonewelder
05-27-2013, 12:36 AM
I used that same mold to get my wife shooting 38.A 4" mod13,my youngest son really took to a mod10 with same loads.9.3x62 I really value your thoughts.Do you think loaded double for HD would be beter than a solid,do to less mass and all.I have tried them on paper and they group pretty well.Sorry to highjack the thread.Thank you to the OP.The more people we get out shooting.The better

9.3X62AL
05-27-2013, 02:40 AM
For pure felon-stopping, I suspect a 150 grain one-piece SWC or wadcutter would likely do a better job of penetrating to the vitals than would one or more of these short, 75 grain wadcutters. Each one weighs about the same as a 36 caliber roundball from a Navy Colt, and might not be as adept at penetration. Where such multi-ball rounds could be a factor is in urban apartment environments, where bullets can really travel through drywall or other flimsy construction media. Getting shot with anything will ruin your day, though--and being recipient of 3-4 or these 2-3 bullet loadings might just send the needed message as well as 3-4 conventional semi-wadcutters. No two shooting incidents can really be compared, none are alike. I would consider such ammunition as a viable option in a densely populated urban apartment environment as a check against over-penetration into adjacent areas where loved ones or uninvolved innocents could be endangered by errant bullets. As always, the best of all possible outcomes is to either not need to fire because the bad guys took foot bail--or to connect decisively with all shots fired upon intended and justified targets.

NOW you've piqued my curiosity, Lone Welder! I gotta try these little "bottlecaps" out as solo projectiles to see if they hold steady one at a time.