PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using Lathesmith dies?

ssnow
05-25-2013, 10:07 PM
Well, if you're not, you should be :)

I just got in some dies I ordered from Lathesmith. This was my first order, and I made it based on the many fine recommendations from the members here.

The dies and punches are absolutely top notch, and he has earned all my future business. He is truly a "Lathesmith" :), a fine Craftsman whose pride in his workmanship is readily apparent.

A great person to deal with, an excellent product delivered quickly, and even priced better than others. That's a hard combination to beat.

Thanks Lathesmith for the great job!!!!

Cmemiss
05-25-2013, 10:11 PM
I think everyone who has done business with him has been very happy with his work. I know I am.

captaint
06-01-2013, 05:07 PM
That's almost funny. I thought EVERYBODY used Lathesmith dies & stuff. His quality is the reason so many of us buy our dies from him. Great work. Mike

bbqncigars
06-02-2013, 10:14 PM
Chris does damned fine work. IMHO, you'd be nuts to use any other dies.

A pause for the COZ
06-03-2013, 04:25 AM
Yea I do. Also as a side benefit. When I ordered my .358 die I told him what mold I wanted to cast with. He sent me a die with just the right amount of holes in just the right place.
Good stuff.

bobo55
06-03-2013, 05:25 AM
You can't go wrong with Chris's products, quality or price

cajun shooter
06-03-2013, 09:12 AM
I think you should of did a search before posting your preaching to the Choir message. This site has been running for many years and in that time Chris Smith has more than likely made Star Dies for almost every member who uses the Star lube Sizer.
The owner of Star even asked me to see if Chris would be interested in making all of their dies. His work is as well known on this forum as a box of Sugar cereal is known to kids. He is not short of Accolades but I guess another one from a new member will do him no harm.

ssnow
06-03-2013, 10:22 AM
I think you should of did a search before posting your preaching to the Choir message. This site has been running for many years and in that time Chris Smith has more than likely made Star Dies for almost every member who uses the Star lube Sizer.
The owner of Star even asked me to see if Chris would be interested in making all of their dies. His work is as well known on this forum as a box of Sugar cereal is known to kids. He is not short of Accolades but I guess another one from a new member will do him no harm.

Hi Cajun,

The title and first sentence was intended to be humorous, as most members here are indeed aware of Lathesmith and his fine workmanship.

But, there are new members everyday. Folks who have not heard of him, and who will not see all the old threads. In light of the recent shortages of ammo, there has been a huge increase in the number of folks who want to start Reloading and Casting.

They don't know........

And besides, If someone does a good job for me, I want to say Thanks, and share it with others. I want Chris to know that his work and attention to detail is appreciated. What better place to do that than here.

JohnFreeman
06-10-2013, 09:39 PM
I just got a set of 9mm reloading dies for my Star... beautiful ...wonderful work!

John

RoGrrr
06-13-2013, 09:43 PM
That's almost funny. I thought EVERYBODY used Lathesmith dies & stuff. His quality is the reason so many of us buy our dies from him. Great work. Mike

captaint
Wish there was some kind of ebay "like" button (or is that facebook ? I disremember) on here, as I'd give you positive feedbacks for your comment. I kinda chuckled at OPs question, as I also thought EVERYBODY used Chris' dies.
How'd that old beer commercial say ? Something about "I LOVE YOU MAN !"

Come to think of it, I believe even Charleton Heston did one of those commercials, too.

I ordered several of his handiwork with no second thoughts, even tho I have a complete machine shop in my shop. He does FAR BETTER work than I could ever dream of. I'd rather buy (his) quality work than to say that some crep work I did was something I built myself.

mroliver77
06-13-2013, 10:04 PM
I remember when Chris was a wee Lad still in knee britches learning his trade, asking questions and finding himself. Where does time go?
Jay

sergeant69
06-16-2013, 06:45 AM
I remember when Chris was a wee Lad still in knee britches learning his trade, asking questions and finding himself. Where does time go?
Jay

"finding himself"? he better stop that and go back to work! doesn't he know that can make you go blind? speaking of which, where'd I put my glasses now?

sergeant69
06-16-2013, 06:47 AM

you beat me to it! theres someone that DOESN'T do business w/him?

j_dude77
07-09-2013, 11:26 PM
I only have two dies at the moment for my star and both are from Chris. He even helped explain some things to me on the first one I ordered. As long as he is cranking the dies out, I will be buying from him.

kcinnick
07-09-2013, 11:32 PM
I have at a collection of Chris's dies. I have run hundreds of thousands of bullets through them, usually at somewhere around 4k bullets an hour and they still drop bullets to spec. I have abused them like no dies should be abused.

GLL
07-10-2013, 12:16 AM
I have a complaint about doing business with Chris !
He has at times put a major dent in my checking account ! ;) ;)
I periodically have to forgo beer for a week just to purchase another die !

Jerry

Ozarklongshot
08-25-2013, 04:51 PM
Well some of us may be old casters but new star users. Just ordered 3 dies from chris on friday. I'm sure that they will be most excellent. The great part of doing business with him is that he listens to his customers questions and responds very quickly with great suggestions without making the customer feel foolish. A couple PM's and you get the feel your seeking advice from an old friend. You can be a great machinist and a poor business man. Chris excels at all levels of business.

kmag
08-25-2013, 09:43 PM
All my star dies came form lathesmith. Excellent products and I'm very happy with them.

engineer401
08-25-2013, 10:20 PM
Everyone including myself seems to be satisfied with Lathesmith. He does great work, no doubting that.

Cadillo
08-27-2013, 10:30 PM
Great products put out by a good business man and nice guy. I have a number of his dies and another in the works as I type.

Top Notch!

ReloaderFred
09-17-2013, 06:13 PM
About a week and half to two weeks recently.

Fred

kayak1
09-17-2013, 10:10 PM
Seems like the mail is the slowest part of the order. It's like ordering a MiHec mold but with a 1-2 week turn around (including sending a check and then receiving the die in the mail).

I love my star sizer, but if Lathesmith was ever to make the full sizer I would be first in line his work is 2nd to none.

kayak1
09-17-2013, 10:17 PM
On thing that I learned is Chris makes the special punch nut for the star bullet feeder. I didn't see it in his posting about what he offers.

If you have a star bullet feeder he can make the special stepped punch nuts that you need.

6bg6ga
10-06-2013, 02:05 PM
Chris has made dies for me in single rows of lube holes and two rows of lube holes and all have been absolutely perfect. In addition he has made two piece brass punches for my Magma/Star sizer. He also made a custom brass punch for my Ballisti-cast Mark VI. His punches and dies are the finest one could hope to purchase. That coupled with his extremely fast shipping makes purchasing ANYTHING from him a no brainer.

Since the dies for both the Ballisti-cast and Star/Magma are interchangeable he should be everyone's choice here on this board for his quality workmanship.