PDA

View Full Version : RAn across an odd one

richhodg66
05-25-2013, 07:57 PM
In a local shop, they had an old Winchester hanging on the wall behind the counter, obviously old and had a long barrel and half magazine with what seemed a low price for what such things are bringing nowadays. Turns out, it's a '94 with a '64 barrel on it, hence the low price.

The rifle is in decent shape otherwise. Nice patina all over and the bore is good. It's a .30-30, by the way. I don't need to buy another rifle right now, but am intrigued. I may trade off some things I'm not shooting much if they'll deal.

missionary5155
05-25-2013, 08:16 PM
Greetings
Yopu can always pull the 64 barrel and replace it with a 94 barrel. I would think about a 38-55. Then you really have a great thumper. Or just send it to JES Reboring for a nice caliber .375 bore easy to get molds for.
Mike in Peru

richhodg66
05-25-2013, 09:51 PM
I kinda like it the way it is. To a serious Winchester collector, it would be an abomination, but I like the long barrel and the bore was good, so it's most likely a good shooter.

The reciever was numbered in the 418,XXX range, so it's old. The guy at the shop said it checked out as a 1909 manufacture which I believe. Neat rifle.

Mk42gunner
05-25-2013, 10:16 PM
I look at it like this: If you buy it as a shooter, and it is priced accordingly, it really doesn't matter what it says on the barrel.

Case in point, all the cheap Walmart Marlins that are marked as some version of Model 30AW when they are really 336's in plain clothes.

Robert

starmac
05-25-2013, 11:47 PM
I am not a collector, and nothing i have would interest a collector even though some are old, I have them because I like and enjoy them.

bob208
05-26-2013, 06:26 AM
i am a collector i can tell you what some think is not collectable are way off the mark. i would have to see the rifle but it could be right. in the old years winchester was not only selling guns but they also worked on them. see if it has the w over the p in a oval stamped in the receiver and the barrel.

richhodg66
05-26-2013, 09:25 AM
i am a collector i can tell you what some think is not collectable are way off the mark. i would have to see the rifle but it could be right. in the old years winchester was not only selling guns but they also worked on them. see if it has the w over the p in a oval stamped in the receiver and the barrel.

That's very interesting, I never would have thought of that.

I hope to get back there and see it ahain soon, I'll check for those marks.

Scharfschuetze
05-28-2013, 02:29 AM
I just ordered a book on Model 94 Winchesters. It's supposed to outline all the versions and if I see something similar to your discovery, I'll post the details.

pietro
05-28-2013, 11:39 AM
I'd like to see some pics of the rifle.

FWIW, the only real difference in receivers is that the M64 has the curved lower PG tang for a PG stock - and a rifle (model) forend.

M64's prior to SN 1,790,000 may not have had the two "Model 64" receiver sight prep holes, because of production line mix-ups due to being made at the same time as M94's (which weren't supposed to be prepped).

But, if your rifle has a straight-grip buttstock, then it's most likely a rebarreld M94.

helice
05-28-2013, 09:02 PM
I really enjoy stuff like this. The long barrel and half magazine would make a really interesting rifle. Teddy Roosevelt had an M-94 with a 2/3s magazine and a long barrel. I thought that was really sweet. Pick the thing up and proudly post pictures. I for one am sure to be impressed.

richhodg66
05-28-2013, 09:52 PM
I'll try to get back over there this week. It's in another town. Hopefully, it'll still be there.

This one has a straight stock. I guess I never realized that was the only real difference between a '64 and a '94.

bob208
05-29-2013, 07:28 AM
it is a 94 that was sent back to the factory for rebarrel. in later years winchester used what they had on hand. also the owner could order what he wanted. say he had a carbine with a shot out barrel or a cal. that was getting hard to find. and he saw a 64 and liked it. he could send the rifle back with orders to put a 64 barrel on it in a more common cal. all this for about 1/4 the cost of a new rifle.