PDA

View Full Version : problems with Lyman great plains rifle wedges

Bajzbuc
05-25-2013, 06:36 PM
This is an answer to a thread posted in 2011. If you already figured it out...sorry about that.
Great Plains wedges are two different sizes. There's a front...and a rear...it took me forever to find mine...actually, I'm making the rear out of a TC Renegade wedge. the front is a bunch of numbers ending in 605...the rear is different...and I forgot. If you're new...and you just cleaned your barrel and the wedges fall out. switch 'em. If you lost one pray it's the rear because the rifle shoots just fine with the front but not worth a rat with just the rear...ok? And I hate auto-correct. it changes my spelling before I finish the word.

Fly
05-25-2013, 07:10 PM
I did not know that.I knew my front one was some what lose, & I planned on shiming the barrel.
I will try swaping them,Thanks
Fly

johnson1942
05-26-2013, 12:59 AM
to be honest my great plains hunter didnt come new to my satisfaction. i changed both wedges right away. i put on a 209 mag spark nipple. i also changed a few of the wood screws. i recrowned it and cryo treated the barrel. i put a new rear ghost ring sight on it. i put a aluminum ramrod on it. i changed the butt plate to a very nice comfortable shotgun butt plate, and then installed a very nice lace up slip on leather pad. the gun is a tack driver well out to to 200 yards. the last time i went and visited my son in denver i gave him that gun. he will use it to hunt deer in col. i always work over any gun i buy that i didnt build, thats just me. the old thompsons came off of the self more ready to shoot but to me the lymans great plains hunter doesnt, it is still a real good buy, but needs to be tweeked , as for me that is.

izzyjoe
05-26-2013, 07:35 PM
wow, i did'nt know that either. i too like to tinker with mine.

hornady308
05-28-2013, 11:22 PM
Johnson1942...just curious what projectile you're using in your GPH. I've just started playing with a .50 and am using a Lee 320 REAL. Pretty good groups so far, but I just can't see the sights like I used to.

Boogieman
05-29-2013, 12:00 AM
lose wedges can be tightened just put a SMALL bend it them & install them with the bend down .People been doing this since wedges were invented. I put mine over open vise jaws & hit them with a punch.

johnson1942
05-29-2013, 11:26 AM
hornadv308: i used mmp heavy duty sabots with a 250 grain .452 copper clad hollow point pistol bullets. i used 125 grains of 2f black powder behind it. before i gave it to my son i shot at a 5 gallon pail 160 yards out in the stubble field behind the house off of the deck railing. it cut dead center. i also worked up a load if my boy would hunt col. elk as that requires a .50 cal bullet. i used the hornady FPB bullet in 300 grain. i also used real black powder 2f behind it. it also shot perfect hole touching groups at 100 yards. the FPB bullet come heavier but the 300 grain is best in the greatplains hunters 1/32 twist. i find their 1/32 twist much easier to work up a load on than all the 1/28 twist barrels out their. when i had a inline made by SMI for my other son i went with a 1/32 twist like lyman does and that SMI inline really shoots also with 125 grains of blackhorn 209 powder set off by a 209 primer again useing a mmp heavy duty sabot and the same 250 grain .452 hollow nose copper pistol bullet. a 300 yard shot is easily with in reason. that gun has a 9 power scope on it. my friend has a greatplains hunter in .50 cal 1/32 twist. i gave him a bounch of mmp heavy duty sabots and he shoots a .452 250 grain .45 cal pistol bullet and pyrodox as the powder. i was with him when he did a 98 yard head shot on a big antelope buck. he wanted to make sure it didnt get away. he is strickly a meat hunter. the sight i put on it was a williams sight that allowed diff. inserts to be put in it. i put a ghost ring sight in it. the ghost ring is very fast and to 200 yards just as good as a scope. the lyman great plains hunter is a real good gun and as i said before i tweek every gun i buy over the counter, thats just the way im built. come and check my yard of the hundreds of bushes and the few trees ive planted here they all a pruned perfectly. i tweek every thing.