PDA

View Full Version : We have 22 lr

starmac
05-24-2013, 06:42 PM
I just happened to be at the sporting goods counter when the guy was fixing to unpack a large pallet of ammo.

The guy in front ask about 22 ammo and she told him that he would have to wait just a few minutes so she could get them off the pallet, as the manager was going to put them in a locked glass case instead of behind the counter like usual.

When the manager came and took out the guy in front of me he told him that he could have only one brick, which makes sense, but the guy lives 300 miles away and doesn't come to town every week or two.
When it was my turn, I ask him why he was putting it in the locked case, the answer was because if he didn't guys that live in the bush would try to buy too much of it. I said you mean the guys that actually need it for their livelyhood and might only get to town once or twice a year, and he said yes.

I don't blame them for limiting it, but my thinking is he is giving the wrong reason.

When they rung my brick up it was 29.92, so I told them just keep it for someone that needed it worse. I was getting it for a friend anyway,, which I called and told him to come and get his own, but he passed too.
Either federal has raised their prices or wallmart has.

PS Paul
05-24-2013, 07:16 PM
Federal HAS raised their prices. Subsequently, Wal Mart- and everybody else- has had to do the same. same deal for me, we took a little bit of an increase and had to bump up the price a little too, but NOT that high. Just from $19.99 to about $23.49 or so. Problem is it ain't coming to the smaller independent stores for the remainder of the year since it is now time for Federal/ATK to fulfill their "big box store" requirements primarily after they've fulfilled the pre-booked/pre-season orders for independents like me. bummer and it ain't going to be better for at least 6 months, according to Federal.

The good news is that ATK (who owns Federal, Blackhawk! and others) has invested $83 million in buildings, machinery and tooling/production to increase their output of ammo. Their plan is they figure with all the new shooters who have started since Obozo's useful idiots started their campaign to violate the Constitution, that ammo production will stay steady (AFTER the insanity lulls) at a rate of around 20% more than pre-insanity levels. Thanks goodness for THAT.

fishnbob
05-24-2013, 08:02 PM
I managed to catch the Walmart SG manager stocking some ammo and picked up my limit of 3 small bricks of Federal (375 rds) for 14.27 a brick. That's less than 4 cents a round, .038 to be exact. That's about an increase of 4.5% over what I paid last year before it all went to hell in a handbag. It varies everywhere. People who don't shoot are still buying it at Walmart and taking it to flea markets and gun shows. I hope they get caught with a truckload and can't sell it.

starmac
05-25-2013, 01:02 AM
We had 22 ammo, lol for about 2 hours. That is what the guy at wallmart told a buddy of mine. He said they had been getting it in every couple of weeks, but it just goes away fast.

I had been checking sportsmans for a while now, but talking this evening to the guy at the gun counter, I have been looking in the wrong place, he said they have been getting it in every pretty much every week, but it is behind the service counter. lol

shooterg
05-25-2013, 02:01 PM
LGS got in some Rwemington bulk packs(500). Went fast at $29.95.

wlc
05-26-2013, 04:44 PM
We had 22 ammo, lol for about 2 hours. That is what the guy at wallmart told a buddy of mine. He said they had been getting it in every couple of weeks, but it just goes away fast.

I had been checking sportsmans for a while now, but talking this evening to the guy at the gun counter, I have been looking in the wrong place, he said they have been getting it in every pretty much every week, but it is behind the service counter. lol

Our Sportsmans down here has been putting the popular stuff (9mm, 45, 380, 357 etc etc) behind the service counter for a couple of months now. I've been able to get 22 exactly one time since it all originally disappeared. The ammo and reloading component shelves at our Sportsmans is basically bare. If you shoot one of the Wby mags you can still get for them, but they are really, really low on most anything else. Components are basically non-existant and the bullet selection keeps dwindling each week as folks take what they can get and make do. Glad I've got a small nest egg of components, powder, and ammo for what I Shoot and reload for.

I really hate it for those folks that only get to town two or three times a year. They will be hurting before long if they don't have a stash built up.

I also think we here in The Great Land will be the very last to see shelves get restocked to anything approximating "normal" levels. I guess its one of the costs of living in the best place on earth.

Jim
05-26-2013, 04:46 PM
Got a call from Harold at the LGS a bit ago. He's got a 525 pak of Winchester hollow points for me. $28. Good ol' Harold, always lookin' out for me.

DLCTEX
05-26-2013, 05:06 PM
Our LGS had the 100 count box of CCI Mimi Mags for $10 last night. At that price I'll just keep casting for my Hornets.

John Boy
05-27-2013, 12:34 AM
At a Club I belong to in PA, a member had a pickup bed full of 'stuff' ... I bought a 1000 brick of LR CCI's for $25 and a LR 1000 brick plus half a box of Dynamit Nobel's for $35

Vtnam68
05-27-2013, 02:35 PM
Cabelas in my area last week had had packs of 2300 22s for just under 100. They had packs of 550 also.

freebullet
05-27-2013, 03:31 PM
I don't understand all the hoopla on here over 22 ammo. I cast & shoot 45 as cheap or cheaper than 22 cost and have more fun doin it. If you have the brass and recycle your lead you don't need to mess with 22 "shortages". I guess I will let my 22 ammo age like wine.

762 shooter
05-27-2013, 09:23 PM
People who don't cast have to buy 22 LR because it's the cheapest ammo available.

If you cast you have a lot more options. As long as you have primers and powder on hand.

John Boy
05-27-2013, 10:00 PM
If you cast you have a lot more options. As long as you have primers and powder on hand.
[smilie=1: Yes Sir're!
* David Mos custom 42gr mold of the old UMC match bullet
* New primed empty 22LR brass
* 4.5gr Swiss Null-B
Velocities averages 1210 fps
Have no worries about the current shortage and any in the future. Haven't tried reloading with smokeless - YET!

starmac
05-28-2013, 01:44 AM
Where can we buy some of them new primed empty 22 lr brass??? I was under the understanding that it was unavailable unless you bought a box car load.

John Boy
05-28-2013, 05:36 PM
Hunting Shack had 9 boxes with 5,000 new primed empties. Word hit the BPCR Internet forums and the 9 boxes were gone in less than a day. I was box #8
I called ArmsCor looking for more cases for the many BP shooters that also wanted to 'Step Back into Time'. Was told the minimum order was 500,000!

got_lead?
06-28-2013, 01:57 AM
Same here as most of the rest of the forum. I'm shooting mostly cast boolits in centerfire. I've got several thousand .22's but am hesitant to use them until I'm able to get more.

I built a boolit trap to recover my lead, so I'm fairly well set until I run out of primers. Twenty years ago, who would have thought? I used to use my newspaper delivery money to buy .22's every weekend. Never thought there'd come a day when ammo would become as scarse as the dodo.

woody1
07-03-2013, 01:24 PM
Hunting Shack had 9 boxes with 5,000 new primed empties. Word hit the BPCR Internet forums and the 9 boxes were gone in less than a day. I was box #8
I called ArmsCor looking for more cases for the many BP shooters that also wanted to 'Step Back into Time'. Was told the minimum order was 500,000!

So how much does that cost? Regards, Woody

John Boy
07-03-2013, 05:26 PM
Woody, probably $9800 less any discount they would give

chsparkman
07-16-2013, 08:14 PM
Drove down to Green Top today and found primers( limit 500) and CCI lr ( limit 3 boxes of 50). Also found several different powders in stock and bought two 9 oz jars of Trail Boss. Prices very reasonable.

From there went to Outdoor World since it was close. They had Win 22lr limit two boxes and primers limit 200.

The limits are annoying but at least a avail abilities are improving.

ridurall
07-16-2013, 09:32 PM
I got lucky at WM 2 weeks ago and picked up 3, Winchester 525 round bricks for $22 each. That equals .041 cents each. The same time at Oklahoma H&H they had 100 round CCI packs selling for $10 each. Told them to keep them. I've got a friend that is fixing to trade a S&W .9mm model 76 SMG for an American 180 .22LR SMG. It goes through .22s at a rate of 1900 rounds a minute. Fun to shoot but wow is it hard on ammo.

OBXPilgrim
07-17-2013, 08:24 PM
I stopped at a roadside stand yesterday that I heard about from a friend at work. He said there were two guys selling ammo at a stand next to the road next to an old abandoned building in a rural area about 3 miles from my house. They had lots of 22lr ammo as well as pistol and rifle ammo. The (1) brick of 500 of CCI Standard Velocity was $60, all (10) of the Winchester 555 bulk boxes were $65 each. They had lots of other brands and prices, about all of it more than double the normal price.

I didn't buy any and told them I won't pay those prices. I'm sure they are some of the Tuesday/Thursday morning Wal-Mart ammo scalpers we have around here. They show up every Tues/Thurs morning to clean out the latest shipment of ammo Wal-Mart gets in - or so one of the Wal-Mart SG employees told me.

Funny thing was that there was a deputy sheriff at the stand when I pulled up, and they laughed because I was the only one that pulled in since the deputy had been there. He said, "you must be the only honest person that's come by" and left - I kinda thought to myself, I may still be the only honest person HERE.

LUCKYDAWG13
07-17-2013, 08:44 PM
i stopped by Cabelas on my way home from work today the had bricks of federals $17.
i bought 1

Nickle
07-17-2013, 10:13 PM
If you want to put the screws to them, and your state has a sales tax, report them to the tax department at the statehouse. I almost guarantee they have a website.

Those guys are scum, pure and simple. They're probably breaking the law (sales tax violation). When the state hits them, they'll usually nail them for back sales tax, from what I've seen.

shooterg
07-17-2013, 10:44 PM
I disagree with their pricing and wouldn't pay it, but dang, they paid the guvmint when they bought it. I'd hate to pay more sales tax everytime I sold some of my "stuff", be it brass, ammo, whatever.

2wheelDuke
07-18-2013, 08:59 AM
I got lucky at WM 2 weeks ago and picked up 3, Winchester 525 round bricks for $22 each. That equals .041 cents each. The same time at Oklahoma H&H they had 100 round CCI packs selling for $10 each. Told them to keep them. I've got a friend that is fixing to trade a S&W .9mm model 76 SMG for an American 180 .22LR SMG. It goes through .22s at a rate of 1900 rounds a minute. Fun to shoot but wow is it hard on ammo.

I don't mean to split hairs, but you got the 525 boxes for 4.2 cents per round. .041 cents each would be an amazing price, you'd get two for a penny at that price.

Hogtamer
07-18-2013, 07:04 PM
Academy Sports has been pretty much one of the good guys. Remington Golden Bullets this morning, box of50 @ 2.99. They do have limits on high demand stuff but that generally means they always have some supply.