PDA

View Full Version : Lee Turret Press Problem

ColColt
05-24-2013, 03:13 PM
I just got the press yesterday and have it mounted with the primer feed attached and decided to add my RCBS 45 Auto dies and give it a run to see how it went. I had a bit of a problem with the primer seating properly. As can be detected by the pic, the top of the primer anvil is hitting the bottom of the shell holder. I have to manually push the primer arm in before up stroking to seat it as that's where it hits. The primer cup goes through the shell holder ok but when you push the handle up to seat there's resistance. I have to back off and fiddle with the primer arm to get it placed just right or it won't seat the primer...acts like its hitting off center and pushing against the brass. I'm open for any ideas as to a fix. I tried another brand of shell holder but got the same results.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x220/ColColt/My%20Stuff/_DEF4090a_zpscf238c65.jpg (http://s180.photobucket.com/user/ColColt/media/My%20Stuff/_DEF4090a_zpscf238c65.jpg.html)

Alan in WI
05-24-2013, 03:33 PM
You are missing a part. Go to leeprecision.com and look at the Turret Press.
Alan

country gent
05-24-2013, 03:36 PM
How is the pirmer ram held into the piece if threaded try turning it a little deeper in. You only need a little bit about .010 would do it. Lower the priming punch would accomplish this. If there are 2 punches ( large and small) see if the other has the same issue if not measure it and see the diffrence is between the two. Some of the punches had a hole thru the side to facilitate turning them with a paper clip wire or small rod. If all else fails call Lee and ask them.

Sgtonory
05-24-2013, 03:44 PM
I had a issue like this. I had to remove primer arm and take some sand paper and smooth out where the primer tool rides inside the ram. Smooth out the place where you can see in your pic where the spring to the top of the cup hit the ram. This should help.

ColColt
05-24-2013, 04:12 PM
Missing a part? I don't see what that could be. I tried the small primer arm with some 357 cases and it works perfectly. Unfortunately, there's no set screw on the front or side like with RCBS arms. It's pretty much what you see is what you get. I hate to have to file down the punch. It appears that's what's necessary but also the other issue won't be solved by that.

tom357mag
05-24-2013, 06:47 PM
The piece with the primer cup is replacable so do not file anything. If the small primer works fine what you need to do is to try and push the piece with the cup on it deeper into the actual piece that hooks to the ram.

ColColt
05-24-2013, 06:56 PM
I did a bit of filing/honing and it helped a bit. I went ahead an ordered another arm from Lee. Maybe that one will be better like the small primer arm that came with this one....only $7.

PS Paul
05-24-2013, 07:07 PM
I had the same problem too, but I just took a pencil and rubbed the graphite all over the "hook" that fits in the cross-pin and voila! That and just using it a few times fixed the problem right away.

Otherwise, the above suggestion about a little "sanding & honing" should fix the problem. As you can see, it is just a very small way from working as designed and when you get it "broken in", it WILL work wonderfully.... sanding and honing the HOOK of the arm and NOT the cup which holds the primer.

MacFan
05-24-2013, 07:09 PM
I had a issue like this. I had to remove primer arm and take some sand paper and smooth out where the primer tool rides inside the ram. Smooth out the place where you can see in your pic where the spring to the top of the cup hit the ram. This should help.

Yup, had the same problem. The lever/primer arm is moving in a little too late. Smoothing the parts also did the trick for me.
Try this- Let the lever of the primer tool hit your finger just as it comes down, it'll probably work every time. A small lump of silicone seal to hit the lever before the lever hits the base casting should also work.
There are no parts missing.

ColColt
05-24-2013, 07:31 PM
I got it working a little better. I don't get the situation like in the picture now but still the arm seems to go in a little too far to facilitate seating the primer. I have to take my finger and put it on the flat top portion of the arm and push down a little, bringing it more back toward me I suppose and it seats the primers ok then. I may work on the hook more. I took some Arkansas hard stones to it earlier.

gunoil
05-24-2013, 09:02 PM
pop cycle stick and tape is what i used, hehehe! Not kiding!
http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k511/putt2012/6EED4DDD-966A-4D0A-9D3A-DCEE2E37595D-7607-0000099436DFB0EF_zpsb1a6d74d.jpg

ColColt
05-24-2013, 09:04 PM
What ever works!:)

44Vaquero
05-24-2013, 09:11 PM
Two thought's come to mind:

1. check to see if the "Pin/Post" is set deep enough into the priming arm. They are press fit and may not be pushed in all the way.

2. check to ensure that the priming arm is seating on the pin through the ram fully and moves freely. If it is not moving freely (i.e. you can flip in with your finger and it falls out on it's own weight) look for any burrs on the arm or in the ram slot.

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-24-2013, 09:44 PM
Two thought's come to mind:

1. check to see if the "Pin/Post" is set deep enough into the priming arm. They are press fit and may not be pushed in all the way.

2. check to ensure that the priming arm is seating on the pin through the ram fully and moves freely. If it is not moving freely (i.e. you can flip in with your finger and it falls out on it's own weight) look for any burrs on the arm or in the ram slot.

I recently bought a second classic cast Turret press. both the primer arms that came with it seemed 'unfinished', one side had burrs from their CNC. they would 'hang-up' as shown in your photo. I deburred and polished all the edges...they both work great now. You don't don't want to mess with the cups...they mangle easily...don't ask me how I know [smilie=b:

ColColt
05-24-2013, 09:45 PM
Pin Post? I just put it in the slot until it drops in.

44Vaquero
05-24-2013, 09:56 PM
The priming "Pin" post! The portion that the spring and cup are attached to on the end of the priming arm. Is it seated at the same depth as the other priming arm?

If you are just dropping it in in place is it falling to the same position as the unit that works fine?

Johnny_Cyclone
05-24-2013, 10:02 PM
Is it like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIRm5OAK-_k

ColColt
05-24-2013, 10:16 PM
I measured the pin post and it's actually shorter by several thousandths than the other small arm that works well. The cup height is also a tad shorter than the small one that works well...go figure.

I watched the video and yep, mine fits between those "humps" as it should. I just went to do a few more cases and it seems to be doing better now clearing the bottom of the shell holder but still is a little fussy about centering. I have to move it fore and aft to get the cup to center the primer pocket.

44Vaquero
05-24-2013, 10:26 PM
Then call Lee and request a new one, tell them it's out of spec and will not function correctly. They should send a new one with out too much fuss. Some times it just works out that way.:o

ColColt
05-24-2013, 10:29 PM
I think that may be the case but I'm going to work with it a bit more. I ordered one already when this first started as I knew something wasn't quite kosher since the small arm worked like a charm on the six or so cases I tried with it.

Johnny_Cyclone
05-24-2013, 10:31 PM
is it only with that shell holder? or all shell holders of that primer size?

Is the bottom of that shell holder thicker than the other ones?

44Vaquero
05-24-2013, 10:35 PM
Just a thought: Check the height from the inside of the hook on the priming arm to the top of the priming arm. It should be near .8975 if it's longer that could be the problem.

ColColt
05-24-2013, 10:43 PM
It's .899". Oddly enough, the small arm that works so good is .903"!?

Johnny_Cyclone
05-24-2013, 10:46 PM
I agree with 44Vaquero that you should check that. I'd lay the two priming arms on top of one another and compare the notch/cut outs/hook.

As your minor deburring helped. Then it could be one of these is not quite deep enough and may need a little more touching up (deepening)

44Vaquero
05-24-2013, 10:52 PM
Cup diameter from small to large will account the difference!

I concur with Johnny Cyclone, deepen the hook at the top. Do you have a small needle file?

just for reference, I have checked all 4 of my priming arms and they all read .897 +/- .0005 depending how you wiggle the caliper.

ColColt
05-24-2013, 10:54 PM
The stoning did help with the first problem. I think I've found what may be causing the primer cup arm from not entering the primer pocket. If you push down squarely on the cup on the arm all is well. Offset your finger toward the edge anywhere around it and there's friction like the stem it fits to is rough. The small arm is not like that. No way of getting to that stem as there's no set screw holding it in.

I do have needle files. Think I should give that a try?

44Vaquero
05-24-2013, 11:04 PM
Yup! I would not have asked otherwise. Besides, you really can't make the issue any worse!

You can push down the priming cup and stone the top underside of the pin. I have an old school Lyman priming pin that would stick from time to time. They are pinned together, I put a spent primer in the cup and a spent case in the shell holder packed the smeared polishing compound all around. I then cycle the press about a 150 times. Basically I wore in the part!

ColColt
05-24-2013, 11:12 PM
Well, I filed the notch down a bit but it didn't help. Now it's gone back to hitting the bottom of the friggin shell holder again.

I think there's just something out of whack with this arm. Johnny, I overlooked your question about the shell holder and yes, it occurs with another brand I tried.

44Vaquero
05-24-2013, 11:17 PM
Clean up the hook as best you can, you may have created a new burr?

ColColt
05-24-2013, 11:30 PM
I went back to work on it again. Maybe I didn't go as deep as I thought. After that, went back to the reloading room and did five cases. No hitting the shell holder and it seemed to center in the primer pocket without any help as before. I may have achieved success due to you fine fellers spending your late Saturday night helping...my gracious thanks. I'll give it a more workout tomorrow. My dog, sitting at my feet, looks up at me with big brown sad eyes. I think he wants to go to bed.

Johnny_Cyclone
05-24-2013, 11:39 PM
Tomorrow if you get a chance post a pic of how it sits in there after the hook filing.
(as close as you can to the same angle/distance as your first pic)

This could help others later with your very nice before and after pictures.. :)

44Vaquero
05-24-2013, 11:49 PM
My Lab turns in circles and whines when she is ready for bed, if you ignore her she goes up stairs on her own. Good Night.

ColColt
05-25-2013, 10:25 AM
My Lab turns in circles and whines when she is ready for bed, if you ignore her she goes up stairs on her own. Good Night.

That's pretty much what my Corgi will do. If he gets bored watching me reload or peck around on the computer he'll go in the den next door and pile up on the couch. If I still don't pay attention he goes up the steps to his crate by my bedside. He always gets a cheese cube before I "tuck" him in.:)

I'll try and get a pic a little later of that angle, Johnny. I haven't tried it this morning but hoping it'll go well as last night.

**UPDATE**

I was going to take a pic of things but found on the first stroke that the primer's anvil is still hitting the bottom of the shell holder...took the arm out again and filed it down more to .888"...still hit and miss. So, aggravated now I took the shell holder out and put it in the vice and filed off the bottom about .008-.010" and beveled it where the primer cup glides across it. Some progress made but, it's still not perfection.

44Vaquero
05-25-2013, 02:30 PM
Now that the depth issue has been addressed, try taking a look at the rest of the inner hook area it may still be hanging up. The priming arm needs to swings and drop into position.

ColColt
05-25-2013, 02:44 PM
The primer arm doesn't seem to be hanging on anything. Apparently the distance from the pin to the top of the primer cup is critical. I'm wondering if that pin shouldn't have been about .020" or so lower. Well, cant fix that so, not much left to try. I'll magnify the hook area and see if there's any problems there but I've filed it and stoned it fairly well.

ColColt
05-25-2013, 03:34 PM
Well, 44Vaquero, I think I finally achieved success. I filed on both the arm and shell holder and did six cases with no hangups...eureka! the primer arm hangs now and then when dispensing a primer but I can live with that occasionally than the other. There's a little black thingy that hangs down and I pushed it forward for a minute to get it to "memorize" where I wanted it and that helped a lot. Don't know how long that will last but for now it works.

ColColt
05-31-2013, 11:39 AM
Back to square one. Still having a few problems with the primer arm. I watched the operation and could hold my finger or thumb just as the arm comes down and right before going into the "groove" on the ram and by placing a finger at the junction of where the two bumps are on the press, that allows the arm to go forward a bit sooner than leaving it as is. That makes the top of the primer holder/primer go in sooner and clear the bottom of the shell holder. What does that tell you about what's wrong? What I did was cut up four small sections of an old credit card and duct tape it under the primer arm's Leg that contacts the press and tips it forward sooner. That solved the problem. However, Today I'm suppose to get a new arm and well see how that one acts. If it does as designed, then there's something not kosher with this current arm.

**UPDATE**

I just got the new LP primer arm from lee moments ago. Guess what? It's doing the same friggin' thing the other one did. I give up. Oddly enough, the SP primer arm works fine.

DLCTEX
06-01-2013, 05:31 AM
Have you checked for burrs inside the slot in the ram? I had an issue that was solved by folding abrasive cloth over a flat screwdriver tip and polishing inside the slot. Now I have to clean the slot with a Q-tip occasionally when the primer residue builds up. I've been think about trying Lee case lube wax on the priming parts to see if dry wax will let the debris pass without sticking like the oil does.

ColColt
06-01-2013, 11:02 AM
There doesn't seem to be any sharp edges within the ram slot. I got a response from Lee and this is from Tech Service?

"Primer arms not tipping in soon enough.
On the press base there are 2 raised pads that the primer arm should fall between. If it is hitting one of the pads turn the shell holder adapter to position it properly.
Another trick that has worked for some is to attach a wire tie to the right front column. Position it so the extended tail of the tie hits the leg of the primer arm that is sticking out of the ram. This will tip the primer arm into the ram a little earlier in the stroke to avoid hitting the shell holder."

Tech Service

Primer arm not tripping soon enough...now there's a revelation. I knew that. That's why I put the cut up cards under the arm. I expected a somewhat better answer than that. You shouldn't have to jury rig a new press.

44Vaquero
06-01-2013, 12:06 PM
No! Adding a bag tie is not a satisfactory answer. Send it back!

If you look at the older turret press (i.e. the Aluminum version) the primer arm swings in much earlier and this problem is not an issue.

ColColt
06-01-2013, 12:34 PM
Can you believe a "tech" would have recommended that? Good grief...I think I need to call them Monday. There has to be some glitch with the press itself.

44Vaquero
06-01-2013, 12:44 PM
I think it's a =/- tolerance issue. It's a classic cast with the 2 piece ram right? Have them send you a new top for the ram.

ColColt
06-01-2013, 12:47 PM
This is what it looks like. Might know I'd get one slightly out of tolerance. I think it would be better if the lower part of the arm actually hit one of those bumps rather than between them.

http://leeprecision.com/4-hole-classic-turret-press.html

44Vaquero
06-01-2013, 12:54 PM
72227Tell them you want this part SH INSERT/CLASSIC TP SKU: TP1388

Swap it out and I bet all the problems go away!

http://leeprecision.com/sh-insert-classic-tp.html

ColColt
06-01-2013, 01:06 PM
I'd bet that cut at the bottom wasn't cut far enough down...just a guess. The pin goes through from side to side maybe also at a slightly higher angle.

ColColt
06-05-2013, 11:41 AM
I'll tell you what, I've bought my last piece of Lee equipment I'll ever buy. I can't believe the stupidity of their so called Technical Service. I sent them an email explaining the problem and they recommended a wire tie. Not being happy about that I wrote them again and they said send the arm. I told them I had two new arms and neither was working and asked for their recommendation other that a jury rigged wire tie. This was their last response today...

06-05-13

"Have you tried the wire tie? If it corrects the problem, why not run with it.

Tech Service"

"06-05-13

How many more day are you going to whine about this. Send the press back and we will take care of it."

Lee Precision, Inc.
4275 Highway U
Hartford, WI 53027
phone: 262-673-3075

Well, you know I had to fire back with that. Wish I knew this @@#$$%^*&'s supervisor.

Johnny_Cyclone
06-05-2013, 08:09 PM
"How many more day are you going to whine about this..."

Wow.. I'd be seriously torqued off too.. Actually, I'm a little torqued at LEE just hearing that LEE customer service did this.

ColColt
06-05-2013, 08:18 PM
Yep, a total jerk. Wish I knew how to get in touch with the president of the company(Richard Lee?) I'd sure fire off those suggestions about the wire tie and comments made.

MatteR
06-05-2013, 08:43 PM
Wow, that is unbelievable. I was planning on getting a classic turret for my first press but that comment has me seriously thinking about changing my plans.

leeggen
06-05-2013, 09:49 PM
Call LEE and ask the operater to connect you to the lead or head engineer, Ask her first who his/her name is then ask to speak to them. I dought they would like the responce you were given. Request engineers email and send all corr. to them, ask if you send it all back to them if they will repair or replace it.JMO!
CD

PS Talk politely and calmly, don't get mad just get even!!

ColColt
06-05-2013, 09:59 PM
Sounds like a plan. I'm still shocked anyone in the so called 'Technical Advisory" position could be so rude and stupid.