PDA

View Full Version : Herters brass discovery.

OverMax
05-24-2013, 09:16 AM
You know how it goes fellows you dig thru your stash of "This and That stuff" looking for something. And end up having something else catch you eye. Well that's exactly what happen here yesterday. I found some 300 Savage brass. Nice new brass I didn't know I had squirreled away. Headstamp said Herters about 100 ct. But it's the most unusual brass I ever encountered. It kind of reminds me of copper or red brass maybe.

1. Anyone here know why Herters brass was intentionally made different than everyone else's brass seen in the market place?

2. I'm sure Herters never made their own brass. Do you know who made it for them?

3. Just how good was Herters brass for reloading? (any problems or draw backs in its use)

Thanks guys for your input.

O/M

skeettx
05-24-2013, 09:26 AM
Great brass
Many feel it was made by Norma
No problems
Mike

jsheyn
05-24-2013, 09:33 AM
I have a box of Herter's select grade 9MM and the box says "Manufactured by Sellier & Bellot"......... Good stuff

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sellier_%26_Bellot

BruceB
05-24-2013, 02:04 PM
"2. I'm sure Herters never made their own brass. Do you know who made it for them?"

- A large shipment of Herter's 6.5x55 brass arrived in very pretty 20-round boxes, each box plainly marked "Made in Sweden". Cases were headstamped "Herters". I think there was more than one ammo plant in Sweden, but I'm not sure. The reddish color is symptomatic of Norma brass, but it's thin evidence.

"3. Just how good was Herters brass for reloading? (any problems or draw backs in its use)?"

-My Herter's brass was excellent in all respects; no problems whatever.

That "large shipment" I referred to above.... I received a flyer from Herter's offering new 6.5x55 brass for FIFTEEN CENTS per 20! I sent off a $25 money order and a note, saying I thought their flyer was in error, but send $25 worth anyway. Heh.... a big box arrived, with 170 20-round boxes of Swedish-made 6.5 cases! I used that stuff for many years.

Reg
05-24-2013, 03:11 PM
The older Herters brass, most likely your 300 Savage, was made by Norma and was very good quality brass.
Cabela's now owns the trade name "Herters" and they use it for a lot of their newer brass and I think a lot of it is made by Seller & Bellot. What I have used of it seems to be good brass

OverMax
05-24-2013, 03:35 PM
That "large shipment" I referred to above.... I received a flyer from Herter's offering new 6.5x55 brass for FIFTEEN CENTS per 20! I sent off a $25 money order and a note, saying I thought their flyer was in error, but send $25 worth anyway. Heh.... a big box arrived, with 170 20-round boxes of Swedish-made 6.5 cases! I used that stuff for many years Now that sir is indeed funny. Lol oh my. lol

madsenshooter
05-24-2013, 04:14 PM
Want some Herters primers to go along with your brass? Just kidding, I'm on the last pack of them. They were made in Japan, worked fine for me, not a single failure to fire. Bought a brick of them off auction arms during the last primer shortage.